PDA

View Full Version : New fan faulty or aircon fault?

E_T_V
16th February 2013, 22:33
2005 1.8T

Start engine and turn on demist and the coolant fan doesn't do anything. (aircon doesn't seem to work either)

Allow engine to idle for ages and the fan kicks in.

I assume this is a 2 speed fan and as it is pretty quiet I assume this is the low speed that is kicking in.

Is there any way to test whether it is the aircon that is faulty (and why) or whether it is the fan (which there is a reciept for recent replacement of).

I had a search around but couldn't see any definate answers as to if the fan should run with demist on IF the aircon is faulty.

eurorover
16th February 2013, 22:42
Do you have the silver resistor on your fan or the gold one Jules supplies?
It is the first speed that works with the aircon/demist and the first speed should cut in first when you car starts to over heat.

If you have a silver resistor looking through the grill at 2 o'clock then my money will be on that

Borg Warner
16th February 2013, 22:44
Some piccies here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68336&highlight=1.8t+cooling

eurorover
16th February 2013, 22:47
Some piccies here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68336&highlight=1.8t+cooling

Thank you very nice man

E_T_V
16th February 2013, 22:53
I'll take a look but I think the low speed is working as when it kicks in it isn't noisy and you only just notice it stood at the front of the car.

Is there any way to see which speed is running?

The cooling fan was allegedly replaced just before I bought it (at great cost!)

eurorover
16th February 2013, 22:58
you will know when the fast speed is in it will sound like a hovercraft lol

E_T_V
16th February 2013, 23:04
My T16 has dual speed fans which does the same thing. You can hear them inside the car when they kick in.

The ZTT on the otherhand is nice and quiet which is why I'm assuming it is the low speed that is working and there must be a reason that it isn't working when I turn it to demist (probably aircon isn't working).

eurorover
16th February 2013, 23:11
If your gas is low on the air con then it wonk kick in. so you could go for a free gas check in ATS an see

SD1too
16th February 2013, 23:12
Allow engine to idle for ages and the fan kicks in.
Dan,

Repeat this exercise or, better still, go for a drive but with the instrument pack diagnostics displaying your coolant temperature. When it reaches 104 degrees, get out of the car and look to see if the fan is running. If it is, that's the slow speed. Let us know what happens.

Simon

E_T_V
18th February 2013, 21:30
Ok well had a better look yesterday.

Gold resistor has been retrofitted.

ATC diagnostics are all clear (aside from the sunlight faults which I believe are common if parked in the shade).

Ran the temp diagnostics today but temp was sat in the 90's and stuck there without the fan kicking in (but didn't have long to let it idle outside work to let it rise)
I presume this is ok for the temp when running?

SD1too
18th February 2013, 23:03
Ran the temp diagnostics today but temp was sat in the 90's and stuck there without the fan kicking in ... I presume this is ok for the temp when running?
It sounds good, yes. With a gold resistor there's nothing to suggest that there's anything wrong with your cooling system.

Start engine and turn on demist and the coolant fan doesn't do anything. (aircon doesn't seem to work either)
In 'demist' mode, can you open the bonnet and look to see if the compressor is engaged? If it isn't, you probably need a recharge of refrigerant.

Simon

E_T_V
19th February 2013, 12:39
How can I tell this.

I hear no "clunk" and change in engine note that happens with my other cars when the aircon is on. I'm guessing I need a regas, (The car probably does too!)

SD1too
19th February 2013, 13:03
How can I tell this.
The air conditioning compressor is directly underneath the alternator on the 1.8. Can you see the clutch at the front of it driven by the auxiliary belt? Get someone to switch between 'econ' and 'demist' modes whilst you look under the bonnet. Can you see the clutch stationary then rotating when 'demist' is pressed?

Simon