PDA

View Full Version : Heater distribution probs

Steady-Eddie
8th January 2008, 19:51
On two recent trips up to Scotland I had problems with hot air distribution to the windscreen.

For the first 45 minutes diving with the heater dist. button set to screen and footwell everything worked fine. Then it started blowing cold air to the screen and hot air to the footwell.

The only way to keep the cabin warm (and SHMBO from moaning about a cold draught) was to set the distribution to screen only and turn the temp buttons up to 23 degrees.

Setting the ATC to auto produced the same symptoms but with cold air coming through the facia vents (even with the wheel turned to warm).

Any ideas guys?

Empty
11th January 2008, 13:26
Hi Eddie

Shame there's no replies on this one, I've noticed the same 'problem' on mine, footwell is foot sweatingly warm but cold to the screen! Either it's a problem or it's meant to do that???:shrug::shrug:

Steady-Eddie
11th January 2008, 23:08
I'd have somebody on here would've known what was wrong Newbie. Maybe it's a new fault that everyone else is going to get as the winter gets colder :)

Thought it might be the blender motor. Will try the ATC self diagnosis next time it happens. Ran it before but no fault codes showed up. Mind you. That was with a cold engine so maybe I should've done the test when the heater was playing up. :shrug:

Keith
12th January 2008, 21:21
The ATC is a complicated beast DIY diags are never going to be easy
Faults rarely crop up on here so when you find out please keep us posted

T4 diags offer various ways to check everything is operating properly

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/alexank/Projects/Testbook/ATCOverview.jpg

Chris Russell
13th January 2008, 01:02
Mine does the same thing i just put it down to climate contol when you set temp to 21 when it hit 21 it needs to put cool air in to keep temp at 21 i'm prob wrong generaly i'am but both of mine do it and have done since i bought them

sylvester
13th January 2008, 09:34
I am glad someone has brought this up .. ever since I bought the car the demisting arrangements have proved err, mysterious!
The car will remain fairly clear for so long then suddenly start to mist up - spmetimes the screen, sometimes the side windows - worse case being when its cold and damp. An easy fix is to let the A/c run for a minute or two which does the trick for a while but not wht you want to be doing in mid winter.
Alternatively, if her ladyship is in the car, she takes over as mist monitor and twiddles the controls to suit - she seems to have got it licked!

Mike
13th January 2008, 10:03
An easy fix is to let the A/c run for a minute or two which does the trick for a while but not wht you want to be doing in mid winter.

Hi sylvester,

I'd be interested in understanding your reason for saying that as I don't see why running air con in winter should be avoided.

For me running the air con in Winter not only keeps the car warm and mist free but also keeps the system seals lubricated to prevent a very expensive repair bill.

Regards

Mike

Steady-Eddie
16th January 2008, 20:00
Had a chat with the Service Manager at my local dealer today and he says that they had loads of problems with the heaters and the only way to get to the bottom of the problem is to put it on the analyser.

Will book it in when I've got the time and report back as to what ails the beast.

Vulcan69
17th January 2008, 18:32
The heaters do seem to be troublesome at times...for some reason mine has suddenly decided that I don't really need my feet warming.....IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER!!! You can almost guarantee that come summertime it will try and roast my legs off just when I don't need it!!