PDA

View Full Version : Vis Balance Valve position of toothed wheel which conects to butterfly

basham
8th January 2008, 20:20
Yet another problem on my newly bought 2000 K6 Rover 75 2.0 Litre 70,000 miles F/S/H. I am just about p----- of with it one expensive job after another but now in catch 22
Before Christmas had it on diagnostic equipment showed a HO2S Error so I have renewed that sensor. Put it back on test now showing error Vis Balance motor -Valve always open. So I have taken it off and followed the thread's on both sites on repairing these. But on splitting the box I cannot find anything wrong, both contact switches solid and no dry or loose joints, printed circuit looks fine. Taken the plastic butterfly out of the manifold and this is free. On all the threads on repairing these motors no where does it tell you in what position you re-assemble the toothed wheel with the cam on it and the square hole that the butterfly flap fits onto. This must be critical because this is what the flap inside the manifold connects to and is the starting position the butterfly flap inside the manifold will be after you re-connect the motor to it and the manifold. And so when the motor moves it will either be right or wrong

No1 Do you position it mid way between the two stop switch contacts
No2 To the right looking down on it with the electric motor on the left
No3 To the Left -- -- - - -- - -- -- - - --
Plus is there any way to check that the motor is working without putting it back onto the manifold and taking the car for a run and doing another diagnostic check
Plus talk about Xpart garages every one I contacted OH waste of time new inlet manifold needs fitting £600 +. Once they have knackered the Vis motors we can assure you it will happen again with a new one which is £57 plus vat. As its the valves inside the manifold that are gummed up and this cause the motors to fail. We don't renew them anymore because of the come back when the new VIS motor we fitted goes again. I hope some one can give some advice more so on the reassemble of the motor, I am not the only one to ask this same Question I have found 5 others

KevG
8th January 2008, 22:13
When re-assembling these into the plenum, my tip is to connect the multiplug that goes into the VIS and turn on the ignition, this works 99% of time to reset the cam pin so that locating it into the plenum arm, then you can simply drop it into its slot.

As for testing, get yourself into XPower Forums and look at Sheddist's "How To...." in doing a VIS indicator system, lots of us on XPF have done this very easy kit, and I myself have recently started to make a small number for sale(Now have all sold out), I dont know where you could mount the kit in a 75/ZT!

basham
8th January 2008, 22:51
Many thanks for the reply, but I don't think you understand what i am asking. When you take the Balance Vis motor apart there is a toothed wheel with a cam on it which the worm gear on the motor turn's. This has to be replaced if taken out ( or dropped out ) and the cam on this toothed wheel must operate the limit switches inside the box there are two these are usually the trouble as they come loose . It has a square hole underneath ( The Power VIS motor has a peg ) which moves the flap inside the plenum when the unit is replaced, so it must be fitted into an initial start position for it to operate and move the balance flap inside the manifold into the correct position. I cannot put photo's onto here but if any one could send me a personal email I could show what I mean Cheers

Kandyman
8th January 2008, 22:55
If you email me i will post them up for you.

PM sent

supernehru
9th January 2008, 21:17
Hi

Let the motor initialize itself (turn the ignition on)
If you look closely on the plastic motor lid you can see a marking that indicates the arc the valve will swing through. I seem to remember that there is also a dot or something to indicate the initial position. In any case a bit of mechanical logistics will indicate the position the valve should be in.
On my car the valve was in slight tension against the stop with the motor initialized (It is possible that this was due to the motor running without any load.) - This appears to be correct as there is no other way to mount it.
(If it's set in any other position it would be completely blocked by the valve in one direction and the motor electrical/mechanical stops in the other)

The car in any case runs much better after the motor repair.

It seems from the information in the relavant forums that these motor frequently give error readouts when actually working, perhaps due to some contact resistance?

Hope this helps:trans:

basham
9th January 2008, 22:24
Thanks for the Reply, I have been in touch with 4 top technicians who worked for Rover. They like you said the V6 75 was a nightmare for throwing errors up on both the VIS Valve motors, even when they had put new manifolds on the car. They could not help me in what the position of the white drive wheel should be set at if dismantled, as they always put new ones on. There I was wrong as the motor can only go onto the butterfly flap one way as its not a square drive its rectangular. So with a new one you cannot go wrong. I can see the arrow you talk about but no dot, If anyone has a picture of a VIS Balance valve showing the position of the cam in relation to the limit switches this would answer my question. On the threads not one of the photos is of a balance valve. I have learnt my lesson and if I ever take another off i will mark the wheel. I know some wont agree but 99% of most of the help full X Rover technicians I have talked to nearly every one said without driving a new Rover you would never know if the valves were working or not, and loads have been replaced or tried to be repaired when there was nothing wrong with them it is faulty code error's coming up. Some even suggested depending whether you wanted power at the top end or at the bottom end to set the flap in that position and forget about it. As most cars end up with the inlet manifold having to be replaced at 70-80 thousand miles, and as these come with new VIS valves fitted you will save £60 + which is what a VIS motors cost now. Plus to buy a manifold from a land rover dealer as they don't charge the nearly £500 and there V6 is identical to the 75 V6.
Sorry for the epitaph but I have set the white wheel cam so it has depressed one of the limit switches switch, then connected it up put ignition on, then attached it to the butterfly flap. What I have found is the MPG has gone up from 19 to 28 and the car seems to drive OK. Whether it is in the correct place or not I really don't know if I am honest. I will replace the entire manifold when the tapping gets bad. I have even tried to get one of these so called rebuilt inlet manifolds but up to press none available, my local Land Rover place has fitted 5 in the last 18 mths but cannot get them now. Hope some one will have a photo showing the parts in situ on a balance VIS motor before it is dismantled !!!!!!!! Tony

Just one last note three of the X part dealers local to me refused to fit a motor said they were fed up with come backs, so it was a complete manifold at over £600 fitted ot nothing

JohnDotCom
9th January 2008, 23:43
Do a search under Keiths Posts.
He has written lots and Posted Pictures of these before now Im sure.

basham
10th January 2008, 08:16
I have looked a Keiths threads and his photos are not of the Balance valve. If Keith reads this (as i cannot email.) If he has a Balance valve apart with the internals in the correct place a photo showing the white drive cog and where the cam is in relation to the micro switches would be gratefully received. Plus if he could tell me how to make the test box up, as i am no good at all with electrics I gather the motor runs off 5 volts. I set the one I took apart with the cam on one of the micro switches. Since running it have noticed the MPG has gone up from 19 -27 plus mpg on the dash if this is just coincidence or I have it working correctly I don't know if i tell the truth. Cheers Tony basham

JohnDotCom
10th January 2008, 08:19
I'm sure when Keith sees this Thread he will respond.
I know he has been Busy of Late.

Keith
10th January 2008, 15:12
It is simple reassembly so the arrow on the white cam is pointing anywhere between the arc.
The hole in the cam is rectangular so you can not then fit it to the valve incorrect i.e 90 degrees out

make sure the gasket is still there 4000 rpm tickover if you forget it!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/alexank/Misc/DSCN3037.jpg

basham
10th January 2008, 18:18
Many thanks Keith, Your quick reply has sorted out my problem and any type of Vis motor I do again I will know how to reassemble. As I said in my last reply I realised I had made a mistake in saying square peg, when like you point out it is rectangular so you can only put it on one way. It was the white cam wheel I could not fathom out. Can I just ask is there any way to check that the motor is working and even though I found no obvious bad joint or loose limit switch, would you re-solder all of the joints again. I wish I lived nearer you lads down South as there is no one I have found in the Doncaster area I could get together with. And bad health prevents me traveling. Plus the X part garages around here I give up on. Many thanks for helping another member yet again your a star, and even though the Rover is testing my patience It is growing on me Cheers Tony