PDA

View Full Version : New inline thermostat

robbrooks
1st March 2013, 22:00
Just a question really - I am no expert on these things.
As I am a stickler for economy like most folks on here I have bought the inline top hose modification. Can someone lead me through the job of replacing it with pics if possible. Also the question- if my normal "hard to get to" stat is still working (which I think it is but not perfectly) will the new one overide it?

crofts
1st March 2013, 22:13
Just a question really - I am no expert on these things.
As I am a stickler for economy like most folks on here I have bought the inline top hose modification. Can someone lead me through the job of replacing it with pics if possible. Also the question- if my normal "hard to get to" stat is still working (which I think it is but not perfectly) will the new one overide it?

Which mod are you referring to, the bare Renault type thermostat or the stainless steel housing type with stat inside ?
And yes to your other question.
There is a very long thread somewhere in the general or technical forum that covers all issues. Scroll down and I'm sure you will locate it.
It's on page 3 on the technical forum, 5 up from bottom at the moment

robbrooks
1st March 2013, 22:18
stainless steel one.

crofts
1st March 2013, 22:31
Hey you were ready to pounce :}
I have the same but not yet fitted.
Easier than the Renault type.
All you have to do is cut out about 50mm of the top hose. Put loose clips on.
Put 2 cut ends of hose on the housing pipes, position clips and tighten. (making sure copper bulb inside housing faces the engine)
Job done. HTH

James.uk
1st March 2013, 22:34
I seriously doubt changing-adding a thermostat will alter your MPG much unless it's very bad to start with.. Mine didn't alter at all.. :shrug:

But the car warms up quicker, the heater works better, and the engine will perform better, so it's well worth doing. :)

robbrooks
1st March 2013, 22:43
Thanks for the comments. sounds easy enough. Yes that was another point -she takes ages to warm up inside the cabin