PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

7t5
8th December 2006, 16:15
the bumper just above my exhuast seems to be getting covered in black exhaust dirt i havent had this before but its very noticable does anybody know why it occurs or do i just have to live with it?

Phil
8th December 2006, 18:26
I recall you saying you were in need of a new maf sensor, this may cause excess smoke???

Mike
8th December 2006, 18:31
As Phil says, plus have you had a new back box fitted? I ask because the exit pipes might be a different shape and thus allowing gunk onto the bumper.

M

Ti Rich
10th December 2006, 09:49
Also check you airfilter - the standard service interval of up to 30k miles is FAR too long.

Roverron
11th December 2006, 09:41
I recall you saying you were in need of a new maf sensor, this may cause excess smoke???

Yes, defective maf sensor or Synergy maf comp setting or mafam turned up too high.
A feint dusting is okay, big sooty mark means overfuelling, mainly below 2000rpm, so is worse after a lot of urban driving.
You'll get better mpg if you can find out the cause and reduce the overfuelling. Too much throttle below 1400rpm when the turbo isn't doing much won't help!

Ron

Nomis
11th December 2006, 09:53
I have a synergie fitted on setting 10 with mafam switched off as it smoked heavy with it on and synergie in any setting.

I get around 40mpg but bumper still soots up quite dark and it smokes when I floor it from any speed and when I let off the gas after overtaking it still smokes for a while.

I was told by the dealer I got the car from 6 weeks back the maf had been changed as it stalled when the car was on full lock and the mechanic said it was the maf causing it. So I assume it is new.

Mine is an auto too so not sure if it makes a difference.

Simon.

Roverron
11th December 2006, 11:01
I have a synergie fitted on setting 10 with mafam switched off as it smoked heavy with it on and synergie in any setting.

I get around 40mpg but bumper still soots up quite dark and it smokes when I floor it from any speed and when I let off the gas after overtaking it still smokes for a while.

I was told by the dealer I got the car from 6 weeks back the maf had been changed as it stalled when the car was on full lock and the mechanic said it was the maf causing it. So I assume it is new.

Mine is an auto too so not sure if it makes a difference.

Simon.

Excessive smoke is not normally an issue so, although I could remap the Synergy to reduce it, it would be better to find out what's causing it.

I can only think the 'new' maf is causing it.
Maybe a Pierburgh one would help.

Ron

Nomis
11th December 2006, 11:10
Excessive smoke is not normally an issue so, although I could remap the Synergy to reduce it, it would be better to find out what's causing it.

I can only think the 'new' maf is causing it.
Maybe a Pierburgh one would help.

Ron

Best thing I can do is unplug the synergie and see what it's like in standard form then unplug unplug the maf and see what result I get?

It has done 60k and I just changed the air filter for a K&N panel one as the one in it was black, also the wastegate actuator spring mod has been done but I noticed no difference between before or after that power wise or smoke.

Simon.

Nomis
11th December 2006, 11:56
I need to add that I usually do mainly local driving but did an 120 mile trip on saturday after washing the car friday. It is sooted up on the bumper but not as bad as it usually is and the synergy has just been put back to setting 10 as fuel economy was no different on 2 or 3. And it is white gold so shows the soot more maybe? I find if I accelerate a little less ie half throttle it virtually does not smoke at all.

Simon.

Roverron
11th December 2006, 14:30
I need to add that I usually do mainly local driving but did an 120 mile trip on saturday after washing the car friday. It is sooted up on the bumper but not as bad as it usually is and the synergy has just been put back to setting 10 as fuel economy was no different on 2 or 3. And it is white gold so shows the soot more maybe? I find if I accelerate a little less ie half throttle it virtually does not smoke at all.

Simon.

A lower setting will reduce the fuel a bit at low rpm as it is the extra fuel that improves the throttle response and the low down torque. So I would expect setting 2 result in a cleaner bumper around town, whilst not affecting the performance above 2500-3000rpm.

Ron

Ti Rich
11th December 2006, 14:46
Could also be semi blocked injectors - might be worth trying some good quality injector cleaner.

Also make sure your new MAF is a Bosch - many of the copy ones dont have a temperarure sensor built in and this may also cause overfuelling too.

Nomis
11th December 2006, 15:27
A lower setting will reduce the fuel a bit at low rpm as it is the extra fuel that improves the throttle response and the low down torque. So I would expect setting 2 result in a cleaner bumper around town, whilst not affecting the performance above 2500-3000rpm.

Ron

I have had it out on the motorway this afternoon with the following results.

Both switches off so standard - Slow and sluggish, lol. But no smoke what so ever even when thrashing it.

Tuning on but maf off, on setting 1 - smokes very slightly but don't feel much better than standard.

set to setting 2 it feels a bit better but smokes a little more again.

Not tried 3 or 10 again as it smokes lots on both settings. Number 10 makes the car feel grewat though and I prefer it but its a bit annoying with the smoke I leave behind.

Simon.

Nomis
11th December 2006, 15:31
Could also be semi blocked injectors - might be worth trying some good quality injector cleaner.

Also make sure your new MAF is a Bosch - many of the copy ones dont have a temperarure sensor built in and this may also cause overfuelling too.

It has got a bottle of STP injector cleaner in the full tank of diesel as of friday and I will get some millers as soon as I can to try.

I will have a look at what maf it is too. Will it say Bosch on it if genuine and not if a copy? If not genuine I can always get a new one off Ron.

All I know is I do not like it as standard now after running it on the highest setting, it just feels like it should that way.:D

Simon.

Ti Rich
11th December 2006, 15:52
Simon

You need to take the MAF sensor out of the MAF body to tell what it is.

This picture may help. On the left is a genuine Bosch. On the right is the copy with the air temp sensor missing.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/evansrj/DSC01231.jpg

And when turned over the Bosch (on the bottom) actually says Bosch on it.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/evansrj/DSC01232.jpg

If the air temperature sensor is missing the ECU defaults to -5C and will over fuel the engine. Also, if you are using the STP in this tank, this will cause smoke too under full load conditions as the "NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-" is removed from the insides of the Cylinder head

Nomis
11th December 2006, 16:01
I will check asap then thanks. It smoked before the stp in tank too, only done 200 miles with it in.

Simon.

Nomis
21st December 2006, 18:40
I checked the maf today and it is a genuine Bosch one. It was manufatured sept 2005 so it has been changed at some point but it could have beenfrom a breakers I suppose.

I also had an uneven idle tickover so today I also stripped and cleaned the the breather filter which was well clogged. It smokes a lot less now too even on setting 10 on the synergy. Idle is steady now and the car feels a little smoother.

It still smokes if I floor it from a slow speed but hardly any at half throttle.

Simon.

Paranoid Carlos
21st December 2006, 20:58
Couldn't give me a few tips on cleaning the breather for you.

Nomis
21st December 2006, 21:12
Couldn't give me a few tips on cleaning the breather for you.

Locating/removing it or just cleaning it?

I cleaned it with a thinner, just soaked it in some and rubbed it till it stopped removing the oil. It did not get it spotless and it looked a little tatty but it was almost clean, There was little puddles of oil in the housing too. It would be better replaced really. Shame you can't buy the little filter instead of the whole thing as it should cost a few quid max.

My father in law is a diesel fitter and says a few machines he works on has a similar filter which needs cleaning regualar and replacing often so maybe something exists of a similar size as 35 quid plus vat is a bit much when the rest of the housing is fine.

Paranoid Carlos
21st December 2006, 21:56
I know where it is but haven't really looked how to remove it, any tips would help.

Nomis
22nd December 2006, 07:44
Remove the engine cover. I also removed the air filter housing as I had to get at the maf. Just infront of the air box there is a plastic sort of trunking with cables in it. Remove the 3 security screws, I used a very small socket which just managed to remove them and lift out of the way. Then you see the housing which has 4 allen bolts, remove them and it lifts off easily.

7t5
29th December 2006, 16:02
well just an update, after fitting rons mafam75 and running for a while the problem seems to have been solved:D thanks all

Simon
29th December 2006, 20:42
Good to hear all is sorted!

Now you can see why everyone raves so much about Roverron's products! ;)

Also, have you checked out this thread that details CDT smokeyness and a simple cleaning procedure to cure it?

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1611

Hope this helps :lol: