PDA

View Full Version : Anyone identify the engine part?

Arthur Quantize
13th January 2008, 11:51
When my 1.8T is warm there is a faily loud ticking sound which comes from my engine bay, and makes my 75 sound like an old and abused Ford Fiesta. I've identified that the noise seems to be coming from the highlighted 'thing' which looks like some kind of breather, but I'm not sure what it is or if it should make a noise.

Can anyone advise me on what it is, if it's normal, and if not how much I'm looking at paying to replace it?

Thanks again!

Departed
13th January 2008, 15:35
Its a solenoid valve. When in operation, it would tick while opening and closing.

If it's making a noise, it doesn't sound faulty, but whether it should be opening and clsoing I don't know, becuase I don't know exactly what it's for. It could be for purging the charcoal can, or for some other part of the emissions system.

T-Cut
13th January 2008, 15:47
It's the purge valve for the petrol tank carbon absorption canister. Petrol vapour from the tank is trapped in the canister (mounted near the tank). This vapour is cycled to the engine fuel inlet system via the purge valve. The valve is operated by the ECU once the engine is hot and under load. It uses a solenoid to switch on and off and this is probably what you can hear. I wouldn't have expected it to oscillate on tickover though. Have you checked that your plenum is dry?

TC

Arthur Quantize
13th January 2008, 17:27
Have you checked that your plenum is dry?

TC

Is that something to do with the wife's naughty bits? Sorry, I'm a bit of a learner when it comes to configuration and functioning of the engine :o It doesn't make any noise when cold, but does when warm at tickover.

Is it normal for it to be noisey, or should it just tick rather than clack? Then again, if you shouldn't hear it at tickover then you wouldn't notice it when driving due to it being masked by engine noise.

Thanks again!

T-Cut
14th January 2008, 10:03
Vital plenum checks. See the two references to drains at the lower right of this page: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

The valve doesn't normally make a loud noise that I'm aware of. Maybe it's wearing out through some malfunction. Replacement looks easy. Part should be available from Rimmer Brothers. See:http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/pdf/MG%20Rover%20Parts%20&%20Accessories.pdf

TC

Arthur Quantize
8th February 2008, 14:52
I've had a trawl and can't see it for looking - anyone any idea of a part number please?

dustybin
8th February 2008, 18:09
ticking on idle is normal, ecu decides if it needs to operate or not, it will tick more often in colder weather,it will open when the engine is cold bit like adding a choke,just getting rid of the fumes while it can.......

Mike
8th February 2008, 18:12
WTV100091 Valve-purge fuel

hth

Mike

Dave Goody
8th February 2008, 19:14
Is that something to do with the wife's naughty bits? Sorry, I'm a bit of a learner when it comes to configuration and functioning of the engine :o It doesn't make any noise when cold, but does when warm at tickover.

Is it normal for it to be noisey, or should it just tick rather than clack? Then again, if you shouldn't hear it at tickover then you wouldn't notice it when driving due to it being masked by engine noise.

Thanks again!

If so "Dont fit the spyhole mod"!:lol:

Arthur Quantize
8th February 2008, 20:27
ticking on idle is normal, ecu decides if it needs to operate or not, it will tick more often in colder weather,it will open when the engine is cold bit like adding a choke,just getting rid of the fumes while it can.......

Hmmm, I wonder if all is well then, it just makes it sound like a Fiesta :mad:

WTV100091 Valve-purge fuel

hth

Mike

Thanks Mike :)

If so "Dont fit the spyhole mod"!:lol:

Lol! It's actually not a bad idea as once you get married..... :D