PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 Towing a Caravan on the A71 and A75 in France

mr_cs
13th January 2008, 12:55
Does anyone have any experience of towing on the A71 and A75 in France? The map suggests that it might be mountainous and I dont want to start something that I, and more relevantly. the car cannot finish.

Thanks

Colin

Kandyman
13th January 2008, 14:51
Wait for majedm75 to come on or PM him as he lives in Paris so would be the best to give you help, also might invite you round for a cup of tea ;)

majedm75
13th January 2008, 15:54
Wait for majedm75 to come on or PM him as he lives in Paris so would be the best to give you help, also might invite you round for a cup of tea ;)

Hi Colin and and Andy, and nice of you to think of me for this matter.

Concerning the A71 and A75, I checked both of www.viamichelin.com (http://www.viamichelin.com) and www.mappy.com (http://www.mappy.com) which are the most widely used website to plot routes in France, while specifying that a caravan is being towed and to avoid high altitude passes. Both sites indicated the A71 and A75 for going south. I personally did not go that far south in France yet (planning to in next Easter vacations), but normally there should be no problem in keeping up with the legal speeds in France, especially for a CDT (same torque as the 2.5 V6 engine)
As Andy mentioned, you're welcome for a cup of tea on your way by Paris.
Majed

majedm75
13th January 2008, 16:06
In addition to the above post, member Froggy lives on the Côte d'Azur and might be able to give you more insight on the lanscape in the south. Hoping this helps
Majed

soixante-quinze
13th January 2008, 16:35
Can't say I've ever towed a caravan, but I've towed both my Ariel Atom on a trailer and a horsebox (albeit empty) on your planned route and my CDT didn't really feel it. Of course now that the viaduct is in use, it'll be even easier.

andy
13th January 2008, 20:00
Does anyone have any experience of towing on the A71 and A75 in France? The map suggests that it might be mountainous and I dont want to start something that I, and more relevantly. the car cannot finish.

Thanks

Colin

We have a villa just north of Beziers so know the route well.

I have not towed with the zt-t but did take a big caravan down there with a transit.

I would say definately no problem as yes you do climb but providing you are happy to keep to a reasonable speed ( and you are not overloaded ) and do not thrash it you will have no problems.

The killer used to be Millau, the dropdown to the Tarn really caned the brakes and the climb back up was often a 2nd gear crawl, once with a heavily (over?) loaded van I was in 1st !

But that is a thing of the past now the viaduct is open ( it was really something watching them build it, and going over it you really do not appreciate just how high it is )

Another plus is that apart from the viaduct the A75 is toll free and you get the views thrown in !

Where abouts are you going to ? if you would like to PM me your landline number I will phone you and give you any help/information I can

Andy

mr_cs
13th January 2008, 20:49
Thanks everyone for your advice. For those who have driven the road I would be interested in your thoughts on the comments made on the following site http://about-france.com/travel.htm which I discovered whilst researching the possible journey

Thanks for your help

Colin

Jules
14th January 2008, 01:43
Can't say I've ever towed a caravan, but I've towed both my Ariel Atom on a trailer and a horsebox (albeit empty) on your planned route and my CDT didn't really feel it. Of course now that the viaduct is in use, it'll be even easier.

Ooh, now there's a toy me & a friend want to buy S/H this year (between us)
and take it round some tracks or even for some fun on public roads.
Which powered engine does yours have? Any pics?;)

soixante-quinze
14th January 2008, 22:25
Ooh, now there's a toy me & a friend want to buy S/H this year (between us)
and take it round some tracks or even for some fun on public roads.
Which powered engine does yours have? Any pics?;)

I have a 160hp at the moment but have an order for a 245 after spending the last 4 years or so honing my driving skills in it. I found that 160hp is more than enough to make a fool of oneself! I'll be selling it in May if delivery of the next one is on schedule, so if you're in the market...

Jules
14th January 2008, 22:59
Sorry for Hi jacking this thread Mr Cs!

Richard, we were thinking of getting the 225 from the word go!!
People have advised us against it, but hey give us first refusal of yours around may!

mr_cs
15th January 2008, 06:18
Hijacking on French motorways!. Now thats another story ..........

andy
15th January 2008, 23:55
Looked at site you mentioned, I would disagree.

You dont say if you have a 116 or 131 or if you have 'Ronned' it (a definate must IMO )

If your combination tows well , with all the family, all the gear and a full tank then I still say no problem

You dont say whereabouts you are, does your combination cope with say the climb south from Bristol on the M5, or Tunnel Hill out of Gloucester, if so although you will encounter much longer ones I again say you should be OK

But if you struggle when fully loaded rather than pull steadily in third then that route is not for you

I have never towed with a 75 but have done many thousands of miles with large, heavy trailers

Which ferry were you planning on using ?

Hope the above helps

At least its on topic, but then again does anyone care at this time in the morning !

Andy