PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Scuffs

The_Monk
9th December 2006, 10:22
My windscreen wipers that were replaced in April have left some rather nice scuff marks accross my windscreen! :mad: Can they be removed? I've tried polishing with glass cleaner but its no good. Seeing as I've got to pop to Halfrauds to get some new wipers I wondered if there is anything they sell to remove it?

I know the MG Forums has a scrubbers section and the answer is most likely in there but I can't get on! It says i'm forbidden!?!:(

GreyGhost
9th December 2006, 10:52
Jewellers Rouge is the proprietory material used for polishing glass, I believe some people have also used tooth paste with some success. Basically a very fine grinding paste is what is required.

http://www.briliant.biz/ I just Googled and this was the first item on the list, not a personal recommendation.

Hope this helps

The_Monk
9th December 2006, 10:53
Jewellers Rouge is the proprietory material used for polishing glass, I believe some people have also used tooth paste with some success. Basically a very fine grinding paste is what is required.

http://www.briliant.biz/ I just Googled and this was the first item on the list, not a personal recommendation.

Hope this helps

Thanks i'll pop down to Halfords see what is available! eek! Saturday Staff! lol

GreyGhost
9th December 2006, 10:57
Thanks i'll pop down to Halfords see what is available! eek! Saturday Staff! lol

Halfords won't be doing Jewellers Rouge. They may have something that does a similar job though.
Best of luck :)

Mike
9th December 2006, 10:59
As GG says jewellers rouge or toothpaste. I've used toothpaste myself and it worked fine.

The_Monk
9th December 2006, 12:00
Halfords had absolutely nothing, was going to clean car at same time and couldn't even get a wash mit! The lad I spoke to was at a loss as well. Spoke to those chaps who do free windscreen chip repairs and he said he wasn't sure.

I will try the toothpaste, what do I do? Put a small amount on a cloth and gently rub? Or does it need a fair amount?

stef_uk
9th December 2006, 12:05
light abrasive...how about t-cut??

Mike
9th December 2006, 12:21
I will try the toothpaste, what do I do? Put a small amount on a cloth and gently rub?

Exactly that :) Do one small section at a time and rub assertively;)

Good luck :)

Mike

GreyGhost
9th December 2006, 12:28
Exactly that :) Do one small section at a time and rub assertively;)

Good luck :)

Mike

What flavour Mike? ;)

Kandyman
9th December 2006, 13:14
I used tooth paste on my old triumph does it show :D

or use a bit of T-cut as suggested above.

The_Monk
9th December 2006, 13:58
It didnt work, however my windscreen is nice and minty!

Simon
9th December 2006, 19:59
It didnt work, however my windscreen is nice and minty!

Perhaps you need to step-up the abrasive level a tad. I'd try T-cut next to see how that fairs.

Ken
9th December 2006, 20:07
Perhaps you need to step-up the abrasive level a tad. I'd try T-cut next to see how that fairs.

We had a coach at work that had been badly scratched. It was repaired by the guy that covers in tiny chips in the screen. It only took 5 minutes and looked like new. I will ask when I go back to work what they used.

Ken

The_Monk
9th December 2006, 21:18
I got some scratch-x to do my car tomorrow when I clean it (hopefully no rain!) would that work? Im sure the T-Cut I have is coloured and its black?!

The_Monk
10th December 2006, 11:20
Rain Rain Rain, well I shampooed the car and thats it! Its raining, typical! Out of interest how do you remove the rear spoiler? There are seeds and leaves stuck under it and I can't shift them!

GreyGhost
10th December 2006, 11:31
Rain Rain Rain, well I shampooed the car and thats it! Its raining, typical! Out of interest how do you remove the rear spoiler? There are seeds and leaves stuck under it and I can't shift them!

Is that the lip spoiler or the biggee?

For the big one you will have to remove the boot lid liner and then release the bolts.
I'll have to look up in the Haynes manual how to release the lip spoiler. Not much of a job though.

GreyGhost
10th December 2006, 11:41
Lip spoiler removal:- Plagiarised from Haynes manual.
1. The boot lid spoiler is secured by a nut and bolt at each end and by strips of double sided tape.
2. Open the boot lid, remove the rubber plug under the spoiler at each end.
3. Remove the the nut and bolt at each end of the spoiler.
4. Close the boot lid and carefully peel the spoiler off the boot lid.
5. Clean up thoroughly and renew tape before refitting.

The_Monk
10th December 2006, 12:41
Thanks! It is the lip spoiler! Going to have to order the Haynes Manual I think!!

GreyGhost
10th December 2006, 12:50
Thanks! It is the lip spoiler! Going to have to order the Haynes Manual I think!!

I've referred to it endlessly and posted lots of snippets on here. Well worth the money IMO.

The_Monk
10th December 2006, 13:24
I've referred to it endlessly and posted lots of snippets on here. Well worth the money IMO.

Just got one off ebay for £14 well chuffed!

GreyGhost
10th December 2006, 13:43
Just got one off ebay for £14 well chuffed!

That's very good deal, for hours of enjoyment. (new meaning of the word enjoyment) :D

JP53
10th December 2006, 19:50
My windscreen wipers that were replaced in April have left some rather nice scuff marks accross my windscreen! :mad: Can they be removed? I've tried polishing with glass cleaner but its no good. Seeing as I've got to pop to Halfrauds to get some new wipers I wondered if there is anything they sell to remove it?

I know the MG Forums has a scrubbers section and the answer is most likely in there but I can't get on! It says i'm forbidden!?!:(

What ever you use try it on another bit of glass first, shed window, old mirror or what ever you have. That way you can see what works best and it does not matter if it makes a mess or does more damage.