PDA

View Full Version : Best Engine Oil

Simon W
9th December 2006, 11:47
Can anyone recommend a good engine oil for the 2 litre V6 petrol engine? The handbook specifies 10W-40. I was thinking of Castrol GTX Magnatec.

GreyGhost
9th December 2006, 11:56
Can anyone recommend a good engine oil for the 2 litre V6 petrol engine? The handbook specifies 10W-40. I was thinking of Castrol GTX Magnatec.

That's what I would use for preference. I'm sure others will have opinions too. :D

Simon W
9th December 2006, 12:15
That's what I would use for preference. I'm sure others will have opinions too. :D

I think you're right GG - Magnatec it is.

Castrol are crafty though - they package GTX Magnatec in 4.5 litre cans and ordinary Castrol GTX in 5 litre cans.

So to use Magnatec, you have to buy another 1 litre can of the stuff. That's another £10-£13!

Sneaky.

M47Rman
9th December 2006, 14:51
I have used millers semi-synthetic oils for some years now, on both petrols and diesels, and in all instances I have experienced an improvment in fuel consumption and cold starting. Not available from Halfords, but if you visit their website, there is a search function that will locate your nearest retailer. The best bit is, not only does it give enhanced performance and protection, but it is cheaper than magnatec etc.:lol:
Andy

http://www.millersoils.net/

Gryphon
9th December 2006, 18:23
I have used millers semi-synthetic oils for some years now, on both petrols and diesels, and in all instances I have experienced an improvment in fuel consumption and cold starting. Not available from Halfords, but if you visit their website, there is a search function that will locate your nearest retailer. The best bit is, not only does it give enhanced performance and protection, but it is cheaper than magnatec etc.:lol:
Andy

I also have used Millers for years but i'm the lucky one the main place is only a few miles away wonderfull stuff

Simon W
9th December 2006, 19:23
Andy

Thanks Andy but I just bought the Magnatec. The nearest Millers stockist appears to be some miles away from here so I don't think the price would have worked out much different after paying for petrol.

driverjgp
10th December 2006, 16:05

What make of oil does Lates use when he services a V6?

GreyGhost
10th December 2006, 16:13
What make of oil does Lates use when he services a V6?

In a recent service by Lates and Pete they used Xpower 10w40 Semi Synthetic on my V6.
I would have bought GTX Magnatec if I'd had to supply my own, simply because it is easily available from outlets such as Halfords.

Ken
10th December 2006, 16:21
He used xpower on mine as well but I am sure you could take your own if you wanted. Mine is the 1.8t and he used FS

driverjgp
10th December 2006, 16:44
He used xpower on mine as well but I am sure you could take your own if you wanted. Mine is the 1.8t and he used FS

MMMmmmm I'll think on that, i'm going there on Sunday for the big 90k/6 year, hope it is not too cold.

Commodore
17th December 2006, 22:12
Can you still buy Duckhams anywhere? I've always used the stuff (10w-40) in every car I have owned, but never see it on sale any more, and my current supply is running low.

driverjgp
19th December 2006, 09:54
Can you still buy Duckhams anywhere? I've always used the stuff (10w-40) in every car I have owned, but never see it on sale any more, and my current supply is running low.

How is the car now since you had all them problems?

Commodore
19th December 2006, 11:01
How is the car now since you had all them problems?
Generally going well - still some outstanding fitting issues with the door and centre console that will require another visit back to the dealer in the new year, but at least I no longer want to see the car crushed into a tiny cube.

driverjgp
19th December 2006, 19:28
Generally going well - still some outstanding fitting issues with the door and centre console that will require another visit back to the dealer in the new year, but at least I no longer want to see the car crushed into a tiny cube.

Thats good news, I was glad to see the back of my dealer when all my issues was sorted, well I thought anyway, when I went to Lates for my big 90k/6 year service Pete pulled out 3 new plugs and 3 old ones (at the back) so much for the dealer given me a full service, I was going to take the plugs to the dealer and shove them where the sun don't shine.

driverjgp
20th December 2006, 08:28
I was going to take the plugs to the dealer and shove them where the sun don't shine....... preferably with the HT circuit still connected to them and the starter motor turning over!
:mad:

You must of had the same issues then Simon, you pay enough for the car and you expect a service in return.

driverjgp
20th December 2006, 13:34
I have Jason - but not with the 75.

I once bought a new metallic blue Granada 2.8 Ghia X Estate. When I picked it up from the main dealer, it was parked strangely close to the wall of the building (driver's side against the wall). Very odd.

Anyway, not thinking anything more of it, I drove home. When I got out I discovered the rear door on the driver's side was a completely different shade of blue to the rest of the car. Hence the reason for them parking it so close to the building.

Charming.

Did you ask for an explanation?

driverjgp
20th December 2006, 19:41
Yes. The door had been damaged so the car was sent back down the production line for repainting, by which time they'd reloaded the paint system. There are 26 different shades of the same colour and they were using a different shade.

It takes the P*** you spend your hard eared money to be fobbed off like that more so if they know about it they should of told you.

driverjgp
21st December 2006, 07:42
If they'd told me I wouldn't have minded so much but the fact that they tried to hide it got me hopping b****y mad. I'd have taken them to court but I needed the car straight away to carry camera gear.

What was the final outcome?