PDA

View Full Version : Clutch failure

Aga
14th January 2008, 18:59
At about 17:00 hrs this afternoon my clutch pedal collapsed to the floor and I had no clutch. Noticed it getting a little stiff obnly about 30 mins before - thought it was clutch going, so I planned to take it in to get checked tomorrow! I never realised that it would go so quickly!
Anyway, I pumped the pedal a little and managed to get some pressure back - at least enough to get it to my local garage mechanic.
I have left it with them so that they can report their findings tomorrow!
Question! How much am I looking at to fix this?
Just forked out £600 on a service and new brakes all round!

baxlin
14th January 2008, 19:06
At about 17:00 hrs this afternoon my clutch pedal collapsed to the floor and I had no clutch. Noticed it getting a little stiff obnly about 30 mins before - thought it was clutch going, so I planned to take it in to get checked tomorrow! I never realised that it would go so quickly!
Anyway, I pumped the pedal a little and managed to get some pressure back - at least enough to get it to my local garage mechanic.
I have left it with them so that they can report their findings tomorrow!
Question! How much am I looking at to fix this?
Just forked out £600 on a service and new brakes all round!

Mine, including new dual mass flywheel and all the bits, was an eyewatering £1,014 done locally, car collected from my office and returned to me.

But others have reported lower figures, and yours may not need the flywheel, which itself is getting on for 300 quid.

Malcolm

Jules
14th January 2008, 19:06
Hello Steve
Best case is just master cylinder failure (£100 to £150)

Worst case is £600- £800 for the slave cylinder job as while gearbox is all out, you might as well get all the clutch parts done:shrug:

Did you car manage to get to 50,000 miles yet out of interest?

Aga
14th January 2008, 19:15
I got 70k out of her (last Friday!)
My previous car (a 75 CDT) was sold with 90K on the clock having never had problems with the clutch!

Jules
14th January 2008, 19:20
Quite a few CDT clutch slave cylinders don't even make the 40,000 miles:shrug:

Aga
14th January 2008, 19:52
Cheers J, but I am finding it a little difficult to regard myself as being lucky!!!

Aga
15th January 2008, 14:11
Just been told that the gearbox has "gone"
Requires 6 hours labour charge plus whatever parts are needed. They said thay they recommend changing the clutch as well - could be JUST shy of £1000
What are your views on this? Is it REALLY the gearbox?

kaiser
15th January 2008, 14:28
Don't they mean that the box is out of the car? Clutch failure has nothing to do with the soundness of the box, whatsoever!
If you have (and I don't know, but suspect so) the same type of system as on the Jag, then the slave cylinder sits around the input shaft of the box in the bell housing and this requires the box to come out of the car.
Not a brilliant piece of thinking, but that's how it is.
My guess is the box itself is OK.

Aga
15th January 2008, 15:57
The impression the guy gave me on the phone was that it is the BOX that is the problem & not the clutch!
Sounds strange to me as the symptoms were very similar to those elsewhere on this site - all indicating clutch problems!
I know these guys at the garage, so I have a tendency to trust them, but do you think that they are correct?

75ContempSE
15th January 2008, 19:43
Sorry to hear your news!!

My first 75 2.0v6 did about 36k then the clutch went, i noticed one day on the way home it did not sound right and on the way to work the next day put my fot on the clutch half way to work and the pedle never came back up.

Total cost to put right £960.

always have the slave or is it the master cylinder chnaged at the same time as i did.

Andrew

Jules
15th January 2008, 21:46
I find it very hard to believe it's the BOX!
Symptoms of gearbox failure would be:

Jumping out of gear
Inability to select a gear
One or more gear not selecting
Transmission locked up
Noisy bearings
etc etc

The pressure/tension in the clutch pedal would remain NORMAL in ALL the above possibilities.
The fact your pedal went to the floor indicates clutch hydraulic failure of or pressure plate broken springs.

And £1000 is way too cheap for a BOX and a new clutch.
I am very dubious indeed of your situation

Keith
16th January 2008, 10:43
Short of metal failure in the gearbox casing where the release bearing is mounted I fail to see how the clutch pedal going to the floor can in any way be attributed to a gearbox failure

An unpleasant coincidence but maybe it is two separate faults at the same time perhaps?

Aga
16th January 2008, 11:49
Popped into the garage today and saw the owner. He confirmed that it was only the clutch and NOT the gearbox (Phew!)
I do wish that people would check before making me panic with wrong info!!
Anyway, it should be out today, so I'll let you know the outcome (and cost)

mr_cs
18th January 2008, 18:27
Over recent months I have noticed occasional loss of power and over-revving.

Driving down the Essex fast bit of the A13 on Wednesday night, tried to change down and literally couldn't change gear. I managed to get to safety and after stopping managed to get into the gears and travelled the remaining 20 miles in third!

My mechanic has diagnosed a collapsed clutch, but its now in his garage awaiting proper diagnosis and an estimate. will post when I have news.

I have done nearly 88,000 miles on the same clutch, should I be pleased that it has lasted so long?

Colin

apywell
18th January 2008, 20:08
Popped into the garage today and saw the owner. He confirmed that it was only the clutch and NOT the gearbox (Phew!)
I do wish that people would check before making me panic with wrong info!!
Anyway, it should be out today, so I'll let you know the outcome (and cost)
Any news on the outcome and cost?

crofts
19th January 2008, 01:38
Just been told that the gearbox has "gone"
Requires 6 hours labour charge plus whatever parts are needed. They said thay they recommend changing the clutch as well - could be JUST shy of £1000
What are your views on this? Is it REALLY the gearbox?

Hi Aga. You mentioned at the start that it was the clutch pedal that drew your attention to the problem.
I cannot see the connection between the pedal 'collapsing' and this indicating that there is a gearbox problem. It is the clutch facilitating smooth g/box changes. Not the gearbox influencing the clutch function.
Didn't sound right to me. If the g/box had been functioning ok, without any noises etc then it would be a strange coincidence if there is a problem with the box
Not a very technical explanation so hope you get my drift !

lee79
19th January 2008, 08:50
its amazing what garages will try if you are unaware. Makes me mad!

my clutch went at 37k .....warranty though;):Dhow did you get on????

Aga
24th January 2008, 17:48
Finally been sent the bill, so here it is!
Labour - 6 hrs - £243.00
Gear oil - £ 38.24
12v 5w Capless - £ 0.72
500ml Clutch Fluid - £ 3.15
Clutch Kit - £142.69
Slave cylinder - £116.96
Consumables & waste Disposal - £ 2.50
VAT - £ 95.78
TOTAL - £643.04

Hope this helps
Oh! By the way, since getting it back, my cruise control does not work! If I press the button on the facia, the light comes on, but when I press the steering wheel button to set the speed - NOTHING - no light on the dash & no Cruise control!
Could this be related to the work done on the clutch?
I have already rang the garage and they have asked me to pop it in, but it would be useful to find out if it was possible that they may have caused a disconnection of the Cruise!
What dost thou thinketh?