PDA

View Full Version : Dead under bonnet fuel pump?

Johnny2R
14th January 2008, 19:08
Went to start up my 2002 CDT Tourer earlier and an ominous sound like a short, dying groan came from the passenger side of the engine. Didn't hear the normal fuel pump whirring. The engine started up, but when I turned it off and attempted to restart again, nothing. I left it for an hour and just came back to it, and it still wouldn't start, although there was a hiccup.

All this points rather depressingly to the underbonnet fuel pump, it seems to me. I'll have a look under the bonnet later on, and get the wife to crank the engine up, which should confirm whether it's the pump. If it is, is it always a complete failure, or is there sometimes something else more minor and fixable with similar symptoms? The car has done 166,000 miles so I won't be surprised if the pump has gone (assuming it wasn't changed by the previous owner). I'd just rather it wasn't that...

baxlin
14th January 2008, 19:24
When mine went, the RAC man got me to crank the engine while he tapped the pump body with the back end of his hammer handle. This restarted the pump, and I used the car with no problems for a week or so while I got the new pump and the time to fit it.

Carried a hammer with me though in the meantime!!

HTH

Malcolm

Johnny2R
14th January 2008, 19:29
When mine went, the RAC man got me to crank the engine while he tapped the pump body with the back end of his hammer handle. This restarted the pump, and I used the car with no problems for a week or so while I got the new pump and the time to fit it.

Now, repairs one can do with a hammer are right up my street! I'll give it a go...

What were the symtoms when yours went?

baxlin
14th January 2008, 19:45
Now, repairs one can do with a hammer are right up my street! I'll give it a go...

What were the symtoms when yours went?

Drove the car from cold for about a mile, left it a couple of minutes, then the starter motor would crank the engine, but it would not start.

RAC man went straight to it, no messing about. He did do a few more checks , presumably to justify the call-out, but found nothing else.

Hope yours is as obvious. It's a bit of a pig to replace, though, IMHO, there's very little slack on the supply fuel pipe, and quite a bit of fiddly dismantling around the battery, seemingly dozens of pipes to move out of the way.

BTW I did say he TAPPED the pump with the hammer handle....................

Malcolm

Johnny2R
14th January 2008, 19:56
It's a bit of a pig to replace, though, IMHO, there's very little slack on the supply fuel pipe, and quite a bit of fiddly dismantling around the battery, seemingly dozens of pipes to move out of the way.

I won't make the mistake of trying to do it myself. That way lies madness.

BTW I did say he TAPPED the pump with the hammer handle....................

Aw, you mean I can't use my sledge hammer on it? :)

Johnny2R
14th January 2008, 20:01
Just a thought...Given that I had an incident a month ago where the car wouldn't start, and the RAC man determined that no power was getting to the fuel pump, is it possible that this is related, and that it might be to do with the fuel pump relay failing instead?

JohnDotCom
14th January 2008, 22:46
If it turns out you do need a New Under Bonnet Pump,
Go to E Car Parts, Sandy Beds. (On EBay) as they do the Genuine thing for £119.00 Special Offer. Mention Club When Purchasing,
an XPart dealer or repair shop will charge you nearly twice that in line with RSP.

Jules
14th January 2008, 23:29
I disected/ bysected!!!! a pump last year (hacksaw:lol:) to find out why they fail.........
My example had no brushs left at 70k miles;)

JohnDotCom
14th January 2008, 23:32
They just Don't seem to Last Jules.
I would like to know the Difference with the One Pump System
as so far this seems very reliable.

Jules
14th January 2008, 23:53
IIRC They increased the In-tank pump from 2 BAR to 3 BAR then did away with front pump

15th January 2008, 06:06
hi guys, just a post about the replacement of the under bonnet fuel pump. I did mine late last year and even though it is a bit of a pain to do yourself it is do able. You take the battery out and the holder and it is easy to get to then just two pipes one in and one out with little clips that secure the pipes in place, these just prise open and clamp closed. Give it a go dude.... Regards pete

Johnny2R
15th January 2008, 10:17
OK, I've gone one stage further with the diagnosis now. The under bonnet fuel pump is definitely a problem, I just need to determine whether it's THE problem. Apart from yesterday's dying groan, I've heard a variety of noises coming from the pump, but basically when it's running at all it makes a loud, rough whining noise. I got a friend to turn the ignition while I had my head under the bonnet and at first nothing happened with the pump, but after giving it a little tap it kicked into action with its burring noise.

My immediate question, though, was whether it was struggling because it was failing, or because the in-tank fuel pump had failed. So I got my friend to turn the ignition while I put my ear close to the area under the back seat, having removed the cushion. I could definitely hear a faint whirring, but it was pretty quiet and wouldn't really have been audible with the cushion in place. Does this indicate that the in-tank pump is working, or could it be making a quiet noise like that without actually working? I don't want to replace the wrong pump.

Jules
15th January 2008, 11:27
You definitely need the secondary pump, to start with. (if tapping gets it going)
They do make strange noises when failing (brush wear)
Very unlucky if the tank pump has gone as well.

Johnny2R
15th January 2008, 11:31
I thought I had read, though, that the under bonnet fuel pump would make strange noises when the in-tank one had failed? Maybe only when it's failing itself, though? I have to reiterate what others have said on here, that this pump arrangement was a peculiarly awful design.

baxlin
15th January 2008, 11:35
I disected/ bysected!!!! a pump last year (hacksaw:lol:) to find out why they fail.........
My example had no brushs left at 70k miles;)

So did it work when you fitted new brushes Jules?:innocent:

Jules
15th January 2008, 11:37
Heh heh I don't do miracles yet;)

jt002e2762
23rd January 2009, 17:05
Hi, Try Rover Breakers, 01606 738873. I got an u/b pump for £94 delivered. Cheers, JRT:)

steando
1st February 2016, 00:16
Fuel pump went. Got one from whiston motor factors in St. Helens. Bit noisy but car has never run so good