PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank filler pipe leaking

JohnFol
15th January 2008, 15:14
I filled the car as usual on Friday night and drove 2 miles home. I parked up and the next morning had about 1-2 cups full of diesel on the floor and drips on the bottom of the tank.
There is no damage to the tank and no further leaks after driving a further 30 miles before parking again
My gut feeling is the filler pipe has come loose.

I aim to tackle it tomorrow, but access looks tricky. Has anyone had to work on this part of the car, and has any advice I'd be interested.

Greeners
15th January 2008, 15:41
Sounds more like over flow then main pipe.............how many gallons did you put / have in the tank...

JohnFol
15th January 2008, 15:43
I presume the overflow would spill out fuel as I filled the car?

My thought was that whilst parked it would drain to the level of the leak and no further. Would the overflow also spill out fuel if the car is left?

Greeners
15th January 2008, 15:46
I presume the overflow would spill out fuel as I filled the car?

My thought was that whilst parked it would drain to the level of the leak and no further. Would the overflow also spill out fuel if the car is left?

I would agree, but it's strange it would be so little ( Unless it was leaking as you drove away from the pump)

GERFIX
15th January 2008, 15:52
Just a thought - you haven't changed your in-tank fuel pump recently have you? I had this with my 525TDS when I was testing the in-tank pump and I didn't tighten the cap fully ( I thought I had but there was still a bit in it apparentlyhttp://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif) I ended up with diesel spillage any time I went round a corner after I'd filled up. Checked through the boot panel and I had a puddle on top of the tank.

rollsey1
15th January 2008, 16:08
When you parked after filling up was it on a slope?

I have a similar problem if I fill to the brim and park up outside my house (on a hill) – in the morning there is some fuel that has leaked underneath. If it’s just below full it doesn’t happen, and like you I thought it may be coming from the filler pipe where it joins the tank.

JohnFol
15th January 2008, 16:22
The garage is on the flat and no other work had been done on the car apart from moving CD player to boot.

I think I'll just have a dig around tomorrow to see if there is something obvious.

I did some reading and found that the rear sub-frame needs to be supported in order to change the filler pipe. Has anyone heard of that or see it in the flesh?

Greeners
15th January 2008, 16:29
I assume you've checked all around the cap and in the recess behind the flap for any signs of diesel.....