PDA

View Full Version : Tow bar - same for tourer as saloon?

Rob Bell
15th January 2008, 18:04
Thinking of getting a tow hook for our tourer (have a track day car project in the offing, and will likely need to be able to tow it around the country).

Just wondering whether there was just one tow hook for both body styles, or were there different parts for different cars?

Cheers

Tootall
15th January 2008, 18:20
IIRC they have different mounting points onto the chassis.

JohnDotCom
15th January 2008, 18:32
I can confirm that The Tourer is Different from the Saloon for the Detachable Version.
Hope that helps a bit.

Rob Bell
15th January 2008, 18:49
Helps a lot thanks chaps... Will look into this in a little more detail then :)

Westfield or 75
16th January 2008, 11:53
The only difference with the towbars on tourer and saloon is the actual hitch length, its longer on a tourer due to teh bumper profile being different.

Rob Bell
16th January 2008, 12:21
I guess that the part probably isn't available separately? Hmm - will continue looking.

Thanks all :)

black olive
16th January 2008, 12:27
from time to time the detachable towbars crop up on the likes of ebay- I would also recommend the proper electrics kit as this comes with all the plug in connectors for power etc. ( you will also need a link lead kit ).

Rimmer brothers will be able to give you the relevant part numbers

edit : look here

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/pdf/mgrover/PA%20Guide%20MG%20ZT-T%20May%2005%202.pdf

Rob Bell
16th January 2008, 13:25
Useful info on that pdf, thanks - and blimey! How expensive is the detatchable towbar new?!?

Fleabay to the rescue...

crofts
19th January 2008, 03:35
Useful info on that pdf, thanks - and blimey! How expensive is the detatchable towbar new?!?

Fleabay to the rescue...

Not only that Rob, have a look at some of the prices FITTED. It's frightening, as I believe it is a fairly simple exercise with holes all ready there etc.
Have you tried Les at SMC ?

MikeJohn
19th January 2008, 06:31
I have not seen fitting prices - but have fitted one.I can understand they may be costly. Fitting the bar is simple - all bolt holes etc are there. Fitting the electrics is NOT difficult but can be time consuming for the genuine wiring kit due to the amount of trim that has to come off to get the cables fitted - they run right through to the glovebox, and then one round to the light switch. To do this neatly and without breaking trim takes time which is what costs. Genuine wiring kit is (in my view) well worth it as it connects right back to the "van" warning light on the dash, and disables park sensors when towing.

Mike