PDA

View Full Version : Front Spring snapped! Need some advice please

ceetdm
11th April 2013, 08:28
Well after 81,000 miles my rover 75 let me down, the front nearside spring snapped - I got lucky it didn't go through the tyre.

I've read on this site that I could fit the front struts and springs for a ZT (I have a 2005 Contemporary CDTi) and these are available from best of british.

Question is: should I do this or just fit new 75 springs. I'm thinking that I would be able to do the full setup myself since they come pre assembled with spring and top bearings ( I need to replace strut top bearing anyway). This would save me compressing the springs which I don't have the tools to do.

Any advice would be appreciated

Tommy :-)

Froggy-Mk2
11th April 2013, 09:20
I had a front O/S spring go in Feb and also had no tyre damage whatsoever. I decided to replace both strut assemblies complete and also from Best of British. The decision was based on a) no disassembly and reassembly required and b) shockers and top bearings replaced at the same time - although no evidence of a problem. It was a straightforwatd job apart from pinch bolt strut to hub that required removing both before seperation.

myrover2013
11th April 2013, 09:23
do you guys have a link to the best of British web site

chris75
11th April 2013, 11:16
Try this.......
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Best-of-British-Rover-Spares
:}

Synchromesh
11th April 2013, 11:26
I had a front O/S spring go in Feb and also had no tyre damage whatsoever. I decided to replace both strut assemblies complete and also from Best of British. The decision was based on a) no disassembly and reassembly required and b) shockers and top bearings replaced at the same time - although no evidence of a problem. It was a straightforwatd job apart from pinch bolt strut to hub that required removing both before seperation.
Did you notice a difference in ride/handling between your original 75 springs/dampers and the new ZT springs/dampers?

Froggy-Mk2
12th April 2013, 08:17
Did you notice a difference in ride/handling between your original 75 springs/dampers and the new ZT springs/dampers?

I replaced with 75 struts, not ZT struts, so cannot say - sorry.

David Lawrence
12th April 2013, 16:43
Well after 81,000 miles my rover 75 let me down, the front nearside spring snapped - I got lucky it didn't go through the tyre.

I've read on this site that I could fit the front struts and springs for a ZT (I have a 2005 Contemporary CDTi) and these are available from best of british.

Question is: should I do this or just fit new 75 springs. I'm thinking that I would be able to do the full setup myself since they come pre assembled with spring and top bearings ( I need to replace strut top bearing anyway). This would save me compressing the springs which I don't have the tools to do.

Any advice would be appreciated

Fitting ZT parts to a 75 is going to change the ride, but if you don't mind that, I suppose it would be OK, but as for cost, you could buy a spring compressor for well under the difference in cost between a spring and a strut, and so long as you know how to use it, that's what I'd do. Buy one with 3 rods though as it makes a big difference in ease of use.

ceetdm
13th April 2013, 10:08
Fitting ZT parts to a 75 is going to change the ride, but if you don't mind that, I suppose it would be OK, but as for cost, you could buy a spring compressor for well under the difference in cost between a spring and a strut, and so long as you know how to use it, that's what I'd do. Buy one with 3 rods though as it makes a big difference in ease of use.

Thank you for the advice. I phoned Best of British to see when they were getting the Rover 75 sets in and Ron at BofB said he had enough to make me up a full set so took the plunge and bought the full Rover 75 setup + droplinks. £235 all in including delivery.

Made a start and got the N/S pinch bolts out both were well rusted in but eventually with WD40, impact sockets and a 1m breaker bar, got them free. getting the bottom ball joint separated from the hub was much more difficult for me took me about an 1hr and a lot of bashing with a mallet and wooden drift.