View Full Version : I'm bored....

Simon
9th December 2006, 20:44
I'm bored, so I'm going for a drive. In my car. My lovely car. :drool4:

Why?

Because I can.

And its my car. My lovely car.... :drool4:

:driving:

PS. I'll try and give an acurate 'description' of the drive when I get back... :rofl:

GreyGhost
9th December 2006, 20:50
Enjoy. :rofl:

Christopher
9th December 2006, 20:54
I sometimes feel like that - driving just for the sake of it! ;)

Paranoid Carlos
9th December 2006, 23:37
Personnaly I love waking up about 4am and taking off for a couple of hours, roads are clear etc, no road ragers about:lol:

Kandyman
9th December 2006, 23:43
4am:eek: you must be a nutter or a mike man ;)

JP53
10th December 2006, 06:08
4am:eek: you must be a nutter or a mike man ;)

I used to start work at 3am and the roads are clear then, but not clear enough to tempt me out now. I must be getting soft! :D

Ken
10th December 2006, 06:11
Personnaly I love waking up about 4am and taking off for a couple of hours, roads are clear etc, no road ragers about:lol:

I often go to work at 4am and the M27 is empty of everything apart from a few trucks and the odd cycle or pedestrian. Its a nice time to drive :lol:

Ken

JP53
10th December 2006, 06:19
I often go to work at 4am and the M27 is empty of everything apart from a few trucks and the odd cycle or pedestrian. Its a nice time to drive :lol:

Ken

I notice a differance in the traffic at 8.15 am when the schools are on holiday.

Ken
10th December 2006, 06:47
I notice a differance in the traffic at 8.15 am when the schools are on holiday.

If I travel to work at 4am it takes me 22 minutes, at 7am its takes me 35 minutes and at 8.30 more like 50 minutes. The journey is 25 miles and 21 of it on the M27. School holidays makes the world of difference though because when I get to work and start driving the little darlings get on the bus and abuse the driver on their way into town to 'hang around' :mad:

I would prefer kids to be at school then we only get abuse for two hours a day instead of nine or ten hours :lol:

Obviously not all kids do this and its a very small minority but you see a hood and wait for trouble, never mind it pays for my beer ;)

JP53
10th December 2006, 07:26
If I travel to work at 4am it takes me 22 minutes, at 7am its takes me 35 minutes and at 8.30 more like 50 minutes. The journey is 25 miles and 21 of it on the M27. School holidays makes the world of difference though because when I get to work and start driving the little darlings get on the bus and abuse the driver on their way into town to 'hang around' :mad:

I would prefer kids to be at school then we only get abuse for two hours a day instead of nine or ten hours :lol:

Obviously not all kids do this and its a very small minority but you see a hood and wait for trouble, never mind it pays for my beer ;)

My lad had a lot of friends but since he has moved up to high school he is on his own a lot and as started to stay in when his mates call for him. He's told me that he is making new friends because he does not like what the old ones have started doing and does not want to be part of a group of people who act the way they do. I'm very proud of him.
My friends got into drugs and other types of trouble when I was John's age. I decided I preferred to go fishing and treat people with respect. It was hard and to get through high school at times difficult (luckily I was more than capable of standing up for myself).
There are a lot of good kids out there and they need the support of those in power, there seems to be precious little discipline or punishment for the idiots.

Ken
10th December 2006, 07:39
My lad had a lot of friends but since he has moved up to high school he is on his own a lot and as started to stay in when his mates call for him. He's told me that he is making new friends because he does not like what the old ones have started doing and does not want to be part of a group of people who act the way they do. I'm very proud of him.
My friends got into drugs and other types of trouble when I was John's age. I decided I preferred to go fishing and treat people with respect. It was hard and to get through high school at times difficult (luckily I was more than capable of standing up for myself).
There are a lot of good kids out there and they need the support of those in power, there seems to be precious little discipline or punishment for the idiots.

Good for your lad and its nice to see someone take a stand and not be pressured by the 'group' mentality. Congratulations on having a lad who can see the bigger picture. As I said its a small minority causing the problems but one of the estates I drive through in my job is a no go zone during the evening. There is probably around 20 or 30 that cause the trouble and on that estate there must be at least 1000 kids living there so its probably only 2% or 3% of the child population of the estate. Its a case of too soft, too late.

Ken

JP53
10th December 2006, 07:48
Good for your lad and its nice to see someone take a stand and not be pressured by the 'group' mentality. Congratulations on having a lad who can see the bigger picture. As I said its a small minority causing the problems but one of the estates I drive through in my job is a no go zone during the evening. There is probably around 20 or 30 that cause the trouble and on that estate there must be at least 1000 kids living there so its probably only 2% or 3% of the child population of the estate. Its a case of too soft, too late.

Ken

We had some kids trowing stones at our cat and windows a couple of years ago. I chased them and after dodging a hail of missiles caught one of them. I explained to them what would happen to them and their houses if they throw stones at my house ever again. I also said I would be waiting in hiding and they would never no where or when I would be waiting, and that they at best not be out and about alone because there would be on witnesses. I told the youth that it was his lucky day and to run along and tell his mates what I had said and of course if he involved the police I would say I had never seen him before bot he could have been one of a large group who had been stoning our cat. The lad went a very pale shade of white and ran off. Never saw any of them again!

Ken
10th December 2006, 08:04
If anyone did that to my dog I don't think I would be so 'understanding' to just have a chat with the person.

I live on a small estate of bungalows and was told this the other day by a person living in the next road.

Three kids (14 yrs) climbed onto her porch roof and were ringing her doorbell by hanging down from the roof, they did it twice and she then heard them giggling on the roof. She called the police who came straight away and by this time the kids were on the main roof and hanging off the chimney stack. The police asked them to get down but they wouldn't, the police then told the householder that thats all they could do and they were going. When she asked what happens now then the police told her that her biggest problem is when the get down just hope that they don't hurt themselves because if they did it would be her responsibility as it was her property.

The kids did get down eventually by going from her conservatory roof to the next doors roof. The owner came out and hit one with a frying pan when they climed off his roof. Needless to say he didn't bother with the police.

Phew! getting a bit deep for a Sunday morning! :lol:

JP53
10th December 2006, 08:09
If anyone did that to my dog I don't think I would be so 'understanding' to just have a chat with the person.

I live on a small estate of bungalows and was told this the other day by a person living in the next road.

Three kids (14 yrs) climbed onto her porch roof and were ringing her doorbell by hanging down from the roof, they did it twice and she then heard them giggling on the roof. She called the police who came straight away and by this time the kids were on the main roof and hanging off the chimney stack. The police asked them to get down but they wouldn't, the police then told the householder that thats all they could do and they were going. When she asked what happens now then the police told her that her biggest problem is when the get down just hope that they don't hurt themselves because if they did it would be her responsibility as it was her property.

The kids did get down eventually by going from her conservatory roof to the next doors roof. The owner came out and hit one with a frying pan when they climed off his roof. Needless to say he didn't bother with the police.

Phew! getting a bit deep for a Sunday morning! :lol:

The problem and cure in one post Ken :D
I'm with the frying pan!

Ken
10th December 2006, 08:12
Thread back on topic

I'm bored, so I'm going for a drive. In my car. My lovely car. :drool4:

Why?

Because I can.

And its my car. My lovely car.... :drool4:

:driving:

PS. I'll try and give an acurate 'description' of the drive when I get back... :rofl:

I wonder if Simons home yet :laughing2:

JP53
10th December 2006, 08:15
Thread back on topic

I wonder if Simons home yet :laughing2:

He has probably been climbing peoples porches :laughing2:

paulmariner
10th December 2006, 09:18
2 things I suppose;
1. I used to work for a meat delivery company driving a truck many years ago (23 years ago actually, where's the time gone?). One of my deliveries was to smithfield meat market in London and to get there for 2.00a.m. I used to leave the depot at Midnight. Pure pleasure driving down the M11 and then part of the newly opened M25. At times I could be the only vehicle on the road it seemed. Much more traffic around now and it's as busy at midnight as it used to be mid afternoon nowadays.

2. I'm a youth worker. There are bad young people out there but in my experience they usually respond to the right "handling". e.g. treat them respectfully and as equals they'll usually reciprocate the behaviour. Give them constructive tasks, let them decide the things they think are important to them and assist them reaching those goals, they develop a sense of "being involved". Unfortunately the societal habit of "knocking" all they do and focussing on the bad behaviour of a few tends to stigmatise all of them and this just "embeds" the faults of a few into the good of the many (if that makes sense). Our media loves the easy headlines and ignores loads of young people who work inside their communities doing good all the time.
But, investing in the young takes time (no easy, quick fixes for the Sun newspaper here) and a lot of money (not popular in a country with the predominant economy based on low taxes and "pile 'em high sell 'em cheap" economics). Finally, on this point, what about the parents? If there are groups of young people hanging around and being a "nuisance" in the early hours then what are the parents responsibilities? If we accept these parents see this behaviour as normal then surely this suggests they too have done the same? If that's the case then we have a problem that's 10-25 years old? So the policy of spending little and not investing in good worthwhile facilities and projects for young people has failed??

My thoughts alone and thank you for the time. I enjoy this website, keep up the good work.

pm

Simon
10th December 2006, 09:58
He has probably been climbing peoples porches :laughing2:

:rolf:

Yes, believe it or not, I'm back. And no porch-climbing, either!

Got back around half-eleven last night and decided a small glass of whiskey and then bed was in order. ;)

Now i'm off to the shops for that dreaed 'Christmas Shopping' kaffafel. :( Only got, ooh, three weeks left to get, er... Everything! :rofl:

Zeb
10th December 2006, 10:15
2 things I suppose;
1. I used to work for a meat delivery company driving a truck many years ago (23 years ago actually, where's the time gone?). One of my deliveries was to smithfield meat market in London and to get there for 2.00a.m. I used to leave the depot at Midnight. Pure pleasure driving down the M11 and then part of the newly opened M25. At times I could be the only vehicle on the road it seemed. Much more traffic around now and it's as busy at midnight as it used to be mid afternoon nowadays.

2. I'm a youth worker. There are bad young people out there but in my experience they usually respond to the right "handling". e.g. treat them respectfully and as equals they'll usually reciprocate the behaviour. Give them constructive tasks, let them decide the things they think are important to them and assist them reaching those goals, they develop a sense of "being involved". Unfortunately the societal habit of "knocking" all they do and focussing on the bad behaviour of a few tends to stigmatise all of them and this just "embeds" the faults of a few into the good of the many (if that makes sense). Our media loves the easy headlines and ignores loads of young people who work inside their communities doing good all the time.
But, investing in the young takes time (no easy, quick fixes for the Sun newspaper here) and a lot of money (not popular in a country with the predominant economy based on low taxes and "pile 'em high sell 'em cheap" economics). Finally, on this point, what about the parents? If there are groups of young people hanging around and being a "nuisance" in the early hours then what are the parents responsibilities? If we accept these parents see this behaviour as normal then surely this suggests they too have done the same? If that's the case then we have a problem that's 10-25 years old? So the policy of spending little and not investing in good worthwhile facilities and projects for young people has failed??

My thoughts alone and thank you for the time. I enjoy this website, keep up the good work.

pm

Glad the drive went well op...good luck with xmas shopping...

I have worked with teenagers for the last 17 years....so roughly 8,000 kids in that time and in that time I have only met one that I would consider truly 'evil'..... I have just reached the point where I loathe and detest the media in this country. The ignore the good and exalt the amoral, they crow over failure, yet never encourage success, they encourage the worst in all of us and it makes me sick. *Feels better now...*

Pete
10th December 2006, 15:51
I work with kids. Well, they behave like little children sometimes. :laughing2:

Never had any problems with local youths either. Whether it's because I used to have two extremely large German Shepherds (who were actually very docile but my word did they look fearsome!) and word got round rather quickly I don't know......

They have both sadly passed away now and I still hugely miss them. Never had a day when they didn't make me laugh with their antics.

JP53
10th December 2006, 17:58
2 things I suppose;

pm

It would not make for interesting reading if they printed stories about good kids. ;)

JP53
10th December 2006, 18:02
I work with kids. Well, they behave like little children sometimes. :laughing2:

Never had any problems with local youths either. Whether it's because I used to have two extremely large German Shepherds (who were actually very docile but my word did they look fearsome!) and word got round rather quickly I don't know......

They have both sadly passed away now and I still hugely miss them. Never had a day when they didn't make me laugh with their antics.

'Local youth eaten by two giant German Shepards.' Now that would make it into the Sun.:D
I still miss my old dog 'Tilley' and I had to have her put to sleep 4 years ago.:(

paulmariner
10th December 2006, 22:58
'Local youth eaten by two giant German Shepards.' Now that would make it into the Sun.:D
I still miss my old dog 'Tilley' and I had to have her put to sleep 4 years ago.:(

Excellent John,

But, imagine the headline;

"Local youth eats dog!!"

even better description of how media depicts young people??

JP53
11th December 2006, 06:07
Excellent John,

But, imagine the headline;

"Local youth eats dog!!"

even better description of how media depicts young people??

Looking at some of the many take away places around here, I reckon some of them already have :rofl:

Ken
14th December 2006, 07:37
Pedestrians on the M27? :confused:

Not very often but I have seen quite a few over the years at that time of the morning. Its a bit of a short cut for youngsters going home from the Southampton clubs I believe. Its also because the M27 cuts through one or two villages and people think its a decent way to get to the other side. You never see it during the day though only in the very early hours

Ken

Ken
14th December 2006, 11:14
Sounds extremely dodgy Ken.

Indeed it is, a couple of years ago I think it was a chap was killed on the same road when walking home.

I hate stopping on the hard should let alone walking on it :(

paulmariner
14th December 2006, 14:23
Ken, Simon,

interesting debate about motorways in the early hours.
Going back to my original post I also had to go around the newly opened M25 from the M11 to the Dartford tunnel southbound (as it then was). This stretch of the M25 was very new (just a few days opened at the time) during the following three months or so, before all and sundry realised it was usable, there was a regular moped rider who would ride along the hard shoulder anti clockwise every morning between around 0300 and 0330!! I kid you not, he had an open face helmet and a ciggy in his mouth and would often grin and nod his head at me as we approached each other. I often wonder what happened to him (probably squashed??).
How the worlds changed in 25 years or so.

Ken
14th December 2006, 14:46
he had an open face helmet and a ciggy in his mouth .

Thats because the ashtray was full! :laughing2:

He's probably not squashed but in charge of handing out the penalty notices on the M25 :lol:

My old man worked on building J16 of the M1 back when I was about 8 or so. I would often go with him in his lorry and sit on the dirt banks or walk on the motorway never realising what it was going to be like in the future. I remember where Watford gap services are today was a small greasy spoon set up just for the workers building the future M1.

Ken

JP53
14th December 2006, 17:43
Another dodgy motorway escapade (well dual carriageway actually).

I was drivng a Volkswagen LT with high-roof back towards London from Fords at Dagenham. We were on the A13 in the fast lane when an artic pulled out just in front of us.

I spotted something flashing between the right hand pair of tyres on the truck's back axle. Just as I was thinking 'What the **** is that?', it disappeared.

Milliseconds later a brick crashed straight through our windscreen, passed between the passenger and me at an enormous rate of knots, and smashed into the back doors of the LT (about ten feet behind us). It left a huge dent in one of the metal panels.

What was left of the windscreen went completely white and for a second or so I actually thought I was dead. I couldn't see a damned thing but I managed to drift over into the slow lane and stop. (Luckily a quick-witted taxi driver had seen what was going on and had dropped back to give us some room).

The truck had obviously run over the brick which had promptly wedged itself between the rear tyres. Centrifugal force had then launched it at us at precisely the wrong moment. Needless to say, this was one of my closest shaves ever.

Having smashed the rest of the windscreen so we could see where we were going, I had to drive all the way back to Pinewood Studios with a gale blowing straight into the cab. NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- uncomfortable it was too!

:eek: That was a close call Simon!

JP53
14th December 2006, 19:06
It was certainly no joke John. Another 15 inches either way and the brick would have hit one of us in the face at around 130mph*. Even as it was, the chap with me was cut to bits by flying glass.

(*We were doing 65mph when the lorry moved in front of us, so he was also doing 65mph. If my physics is correct, the brick would have been flung backwards at the same speed - 65mph - therefore so the combined collision speed would have been 130mph).

Thank goodness for laminated windscreens!