PDA

View Full Version : spy hole mod

sf8752
18th January 2008, 15:57
Done the mod today brilled a 32mm hole but dont know where to get a grommet from duck tape over hole for the moment
steve..........

Greeners
18th January 2008, 16:02
Try Halfords or a good motor factors should be able to supply one.

Simon W
18th January 2008, 16:05
Halfords do a 24/25mm so probably do the larger size as well.

Tootall
18th January 2008, 16:41
Done the mod today brilled a 32mm hole but dont know where to get a grommet from duck tape over hole for the moment
steve..........

Have i missed something here, what is the spyhole for ?

The Bear
18th January 2008, 16:47
Where are the measurements for this mod i hope to attempt this at the weekend.With the amount of water around at the mo it will be a great mod to save time.

Raistlin
18th January 2008, 17:00
Have i missed something here, what is the spyhole for ?

So that you can inspect and rod the middle plenum chamber drain without removing the plenum chamber cover.

Jules
18th January 2008, 17:34
Why does this get called the middle drain.:banghead:!!
There are 2 lower drains all models:
One under the servo and tuther is in front of pollen filter;)

See here http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=106067&postcount=2

pondweed
18th January 2008, 18:03
if you have a later car without a drivers side top drain, it IS technically still the middle drain!:flushed:

shakennstirred
18th January 2008, 18:04

See here http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=106067&postcount=2

i thought they had 3, 2 outer ones(1 under servo & other 1 in the same spot on the other sider of car) and the one under the pollen filter, making it the middle one

baxlin
18th January 2008, 18:25
steve..........

Actually, tape isn't too bad an idea, so long as it retains its stickiness, and doesn't peel off.

Me, I just went through all the bottles and tins etc we had in the kitchen and garage. I finally found a chrome inset/flush fitting sliding door "handle" which fitted.

Raistlin
18th January 2008, 18:44

My error

I should have described it more fully as the NEARSIDE MIDDLE drain rather than merely the middle drain.

Nonetheless, the functional description was reasonably accurate, I assume.

crofts
19th January 2008, 01:55
Where are the measurements for this mod i hope to attempt this at the weekend.With the amount of water around at the mo it will be a great mod to save time.

Am sure you will find all the info.if you click 'search' above and enter 'spy hole' or 'plenum drains'. One of the members posted a photo with the measurements to locate the hole position.
If you don't have a rubber bung a little ingenuity will provide an alternative (cork etc.)

Greeners
19th January 2008, 06:56
97mm springs to mind......

tony_fry
19th January 2008, 08:00
If you are after a 32mm grommet try a electrical wholesaler as they should stock a open or closed grommet, I know as I work run one!!!

pondweed
19th January 2008, 12:48
I've just checked and drilled my spyhole out, and the water was still running out around the 9mm dowel in the drain when I had finished.....gulp. Luckily I have 2 pollen filters on their way... must have been 2" in there.

Wonder if this will correct my slightly low idle?:bowdown:

BBCATZ
19th January 2008, 15:44
Just washed my car for the first time since I got it three weeks ago & I thought I would try this plenum business.

Took the covers off & looked down with help of a torch & guess what?

Yup.

There were 5 inches depth (I measured it ) of water right accross the whole bulkhead. The volume of water was almost half way up the pollen filter - which was a dirty black colour.
I used a small garden cane to loosen all the crud that had formed in the drain hole & hey presto! all the water then drained away.

I will now create a spyhole when the weather is a bit more friendly.

The moral of this story is heed the advice given by other members or ignore the consequences at your peril.

Bonus!!!

Just realised!!

Now all this water has gone my mpg will increase as the car is now carrying less weight! Hurrah!! :hurray: