PDA

View Full Version : Correct way to set up Synergy 2

MrBitsy
19th January 2008, 22:23
Can anyone comment if I have this correct.

1.. Turn mafam on and tuning section off
2.. Try the dial in position 1 then 2,3,4 and so on
3.. Decide which setting was best
4.. Turn on tuning section
5.. Set dial to number in same row to set throttle response.

For example.

I find that setting 6 is best with tuning section off and mafam on. I decide I want a medium throttle response, so I turn tuning section on and set dial to 5 (same row for the mafam setting but with my throttle setting).

Have I got this correct or have I completely got this wrong? :shrug:

At the moment I have just guessed my mafam is 'slightly' degraded with my mileage at 49000, so I have the dial set at 2, but I want to make sure I have set the mafam correctly.

Ta!

pondweed
20th January 2008, 10:27
to try mafam compensation, you need to run all off first, then tuning OFF and L will be on 0-3, M on 4-6, H on 7-9, I think?

You will then find your ideal MAF range which will give you a choice of 3 throttlle POWER settings (or 4 if you are using LOW mafam or no mafam) which are a combination of throttle sensitivity and power, if I remember.

Keep reading the (good) instructions!

Roverron
20th January 2008, 18:19
Can anyone comment if I have this correct.

1.. Turn mafam on and tuning section off
2.. Try the dial in position 1 then 2,3,4 and so on
3.. Decide which setting was best
4.. Turn on tuning section
5.. Set dial to number in same row to set throttle response.

For example.

I find that setting 6 is best with tuning section off and mafam on. I decide I want a medium throttle response, so I turn tuning section on and set dial to 5 (same row for the mafam setting but with my throttle setting).

Have I got this correct or have I completely got this wrong? :shrug:

At the moment I have just guessed my mafam is 'slightly' degraded with my mileage at 49000, so I have the dial set at 2, but I want to make sure I have set the mafam correctly.

Ta!

Wrong!

The current setting is what ever the knob is pointing to. So 6 is medium maf boost (as is 4 & 5) and med/high power. If you alter the knob and restart, the setting will change to that shown on the label.

With a Pierburgh maf, you would use settings from 4 to 9. 10 will usually be okay as well though there may be a slight loss of torque below 1400rpm because it has low maf boost.

Only with a Bosch maf do you need to find the best mafam setting before turning on the tuning switch and even then its not critical. You can just use whatever setting suits you sir.

Ron

JohnDotCom
20th January 2008, 22:08
Thanks for the Clarification there Ron. :bowdown:

MrBitsy
22nd January 2008, 14:42
Thanks very much for the clarification! The Synergy 2 box is about the best add on I have purchased for any car :D

Dave***t
22nd January 2008, 15:21
Unfortunately that's sort of de-clarified things for me!

Does that mean that even with a new Pierburgh MAF, you'll need a degree of compensation from the Synergy?

I'm most likely going to be getting a Pierburgh job for use with my Synergy (which, being 12 months old, is just a synergy but is I believe the same as a current synergy 2), and was expecting that I'd just leave the MAFAM side off once it's fitted :confused:

75Fan
22nd January 2008, 17:09
I've also recently fitted a Synergy, and set it up to eliminate a slight vibration at about 1700-1800 revs, which Ron reckoned might be a MAF problem. I wanted medium throttle response, so I tried it on 2 - no difference, tried it on 5 - no difference, tried it on 8 - Hey Presto no vibration. Should I be doing anything different?

As an afterthought, how will I know when the MAF gives up the ghost completely (it's obviously on the way out)?

Roverron
23rd January 2008, 09:49
Unfortunately that's sort of de-clarified things for me!

Does that mean that even with a new Pierburgh MAF, you'll need a degree of compensation from the Synergy?

I'm most likely going to be getting a Pierburgh job for use with my Synergy (which, being 12 months old, is just a synergy but is I believe the same as a current synergy 2), and was expecting that I'd just leave the MAFAM side off once it's fitted :confused:

Yes you do need the mafam section on medium or high with a pierburgh maf.

The only time the mafam section is NOT needed is with a 100% working BOSCH maf.

Use LOW for an out of spec Bosch one, possibly medium. Settings 1,2,3 10

Use Medium (4,5,6) or High (7,8,9) with a Pierburgh maf. (10 is also possible with a PB maf)

If your Bosch maf needs a high mafam setting - 7,8,or 9 then its close to expiring. If the fuel consumption has fallen as well, then I'd recommend a PB maf immediately and resetting the Synergy to no 4,5 or 6.

Ron

MrBitsy
23rd January 2008, 11:49
Sorry to be a pain, but I want to make sure this is correct.

1.. Tuning section OFF
2.. MAFAM section ON

I like a medium throttle sensitivity so ...

3.. Set dial to 2 and drive the car.
4.. Set dial to 5 and drive the car.
5.. Set dial to 8 and drive the car.

Set dial to the setting that felt best when driving the car.

6.. Turn Tuning section ON.

Hope I now have this correct! :getmecoat::D

pondweed
23rd January 2008, 11:50
Ron - what would you say are reasonable benchmark mpg figs for stock cars...? i.e. to use as a telltale for when MAF is getting worse.

All this talk of 50mpg+ is making me feel a little nauseous. I know that my last one averaged 44mpg (manual) over 150k... which is about the same as someone posted for longterm (manual) running in MGR development cars over 50k. My 20k Synergy use period averaged about the same.

Roverron
23rd January 2008, 14:42
Sorry to be a pain, but I want to make sure this is correct.

1.. Tuning section OFF
2.. MAFAM section ON

I like a medium throttle sensitivity so ...

3.. Set dial to 2 and drive the car.
4.. Set dial to 5 and drive the car.
5.. Set dial to 8 and drive the car.

Set dial to the setting that felt best when driving the car.

6.. Turn Tuning section ON.

Hope I now have this correct! :getmecoat::D

Spot on!

Ron

MrBitsy
23rd January 2008, 16:51
Thanks!

I had always had the box set on 2 with both the MAFAM and Tuning turned on. I couldn't really detect much difference with the MAFAM on or off, so assumed my MAF was probably OK.

However, I went out for a drive today and did it properly, using the method above you said was 'spot on' :D

Tuning switch off, MAFAM on and switch to 2. No hesitation detected, no vibrations or other upsets at all. Drove about 5 miles through country lanes and town centers. With the Tuning switch OFF, I was back to the sluggish car I purchased, but other than that - fine.

Parked up, ignition off and set dial to position 5. Pulled off and it felt like it did when I first had the Synergy 2 fitted! Much more pull from a standing start! Very smooth acceleration and I realised I HAD been getting a slight hesitation with the switch in 2.

Parked up and turned the tuning section on. Boy, lovely pull all the way from a standing start, through the turbo coming in and beyond. Much more eager now before the turbo comes in. For three months I have had it in 2 when it should have been in 5! I had got the setup completely wrong - I had always left the tuning section on and played around with the MAFAM!

Thanks Ron for the advice - I got a great boost when the synergy was fitted, and another one now!

Roverron
23rd January 2008, 17:55
Thanks!

I had always had the box set on 2 with both the MAFAM and Tuning turned on. I couldn't really detect much difference with the MAFAM on or off, so assumed my MAF was probably OK.

However, I went out for a drive today and did it properly, using the method above you said was 'spot on' :D

Tuning switch off, MAFAM on and switch to 2. No hesitation detected, no vibrations or other upsets at all. Drove about 5 miles through country lanes and town centers. With the Tuning switch OFF, I was back to the sluggish car I purchased, but other than that - fine.

Parked up, ignition off and set dial to position 5. Pulled off and it felt like it did when I first had the Synergy 2 fitted! Much more pull from a standing start! Very smooth acceleration and I realised I HAD been getting a slight hesitation with the switch in 2.

Parked up and turned the tuning section on. Boy, lovely pull all the way from a standing start, through the turbo coming in and beyond. Much more eager now before the turbo comes in. For three months I have had it in 2 when it should have been in 5! I had got the setup completely wrong - I had always left the tuning section on and played around with the MAFAM!

Thanks Ron for the advice - I got a great boost when the synergy was fitted, and another one now!

Many thanks for that update.

There's no charge for that second 'boost'!

Ron

tapped
23rd January 2008, 17:56
Am inspired to recheck mine now!

:D

MrBitsy
26th January 2008, 15:24
Just an update after I set up the Synergy properly. The MPG on the trip computer is now showing 50.5 miles per gallon for my regular trip to work and back - it used to read around 40-44 MPG!

I know that is probably 10% out, but at least that means my MPG is about right for a mixed journey, and is over 10% better than before. Also, I am sure I am not seeing as much smoke from the exhaust now.

Ray.

JohnDotCom
26th January 2008, 18:33
It will read about +10% on average with a Synergy fitted,
only use Brim to Brim method to check.

Greeners
28th January 2008, 21:26
From Car Mechanics February 2007 in the "on Trial" section

The only other "problem"- and this is fairly minor really- is that if your car has a fuel computer, this will no longer be accurate. That's because the cars' computer uses injection pulse width and rpm to calculate fuel consumption. The TU3 increases pressure meaning the pulse width is actually shorter than without it. Result: the computer thinks that the car is using less fuel then it is, and the computer will suggest that you have improved both performance AND economy. Sadly, that is not the case- you don't get anything for nothing in this world.

Roverron
29th January 2008, 18:04
From Car Mechanics February 2007 in the "on Trial" section

The only other "problem"- and this is fairly minor really- is that if your car has a fuel computer, this will no longer be accurate. That's because the cars' computer uses injection pulse width and rpm to calculate fuel consumption. The TU3 increases pressure meaning the pulse width is actually shorter than without it. Result: the computer thinks that the car is using less fuel then it is, and the computer will suggest that you have improved both performance AND economy. Sadly, that is not the case- you don't get anything for nothing in this world.

This side effect will occur with all common rail tuning boxes (those that it doesn't don't wokr as well!).

I sometime wonder if this over reading is being used by some dodgy tuners to justify their big 'improved mpg' claims, having not informed their customers that the computer's mpg readout is no longer accurate!

Or possibly (probably??) the tuners haven't appreciatad that the mpg readout is no longer accurate and they themselves believe their product is miraculously boosting performance and economy.

Ron

Greeners
29th January 2008, 18:06
Ron

I didn't get to read Part1, but they certainly raved about it in Part2........

Roverron
29th January 2008, 18:15
Ron

I didn't get to read Part1, but they certainly raved about it in Part2........

They know a good product when they see one!

Vauxhall CDTi's respond very well too, and many Xtype owners like what it does for their Jag. To mention but two..

:getmecoat:

Ron