PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 R.P.M.

norfolksuffolkus
21st January 2008, 11:50
Hi ... I have a W reg Rover 75 2.0 lt club Manuel
It seems to be drinking fuel quicker than my mrs can sup bacardie on a sat night :drool4:
I have also noticed that at 70 mph its turning over at 3200 revs and at 80 its doing 3800 both figs taken in top gear not towing, level road. No hills in Norfolk. Anyone know if theses figs are about right ? I have checked tyre size and pressure to be correct. So any boffs have any ideas on how i can improve on the 20p a mile its running at around town ( thats 35 miles to just over £7 ) suprisingly i did acheive 200 miles on £30 on a run involving steady driving mostly on dual carrigeway
I did open her up at one point and was astounded to find there appears to be no rev limiter set and it was happy to go way beyond and continue pulling past 7500 revs But i wont try that to often at £106p a litre
Any help or advise of mods that work much appreaciated
Norfolk

Mike
21st January 2008, 11:57
Hmm..........the engine on the 75 is definitely rev limited so I would look to get that issue sorted soonest. A session on the dealer software diagnostic system T4 Testbook could tell you a lot.

The consumption problem could be the vis valve motors in the manifold not working or not working correctly. A quick search for 'vis' will tell you all you need to know. The revs should be around 2800 at an indicated 70 and 3300 at 80mph so your's sound high.

hth

r44712
21st January 2008, 12:52
The speed with which the engine turns over is determined by the gearbox ratios, so the engine would not "rev more" without going faster. However, if the clutch was slipping, then the engine speed would become disproportionate to the road speed.

Following on from that 70mph vs 3.2K revs sounds "right" for a petrol-engined Rover (the diesel which has "taller" (read: higher) ratios turns over at 2.5K at 70mph).

From my "youthful" days I can remember that Rover's K-Series (what you have here) will go "some way" into the red before the limiter cuts-in.

One other thing have you actually measured the amount of fuel used as opposed to the anount of £££. The rising cost of fuel distorts the mpg "measured" in this way. I have worked out for a 10p increase I get 12 miles "less".

Mike
21st January 2008, 13:06
Corrected revs comment on my original post. Yours do sound high. See above.

norfolksuffolkus
22nd January 2008, 15:53
Hi mike do you have any more info on the "vis" issue cant say iv heard about this item Is there a link to any info
many thanks Andy

Keith
22nd January 2008, 21:00
Check the Howto fix your is motor in the engine Howto section