PDA

View Full Version : Strange Battery Problem - FYI

STUBIE
11th December 2006, 10:33
Yesterday after driving a short trip pulled into garage for couple of gallons, came out and started the car in gear - stalled - hey we all do it. Went to turn the car over - nothing. Dash lights dimmed and flashing. Now the battery had run flat about 6 weeks ago after listening to the CD for an hour with the engine off but after I got a jump it been starting fine every morning.

So there I was - waited 5 mins and tried to turn over again - nothing.

A kind gent has a set of leads - wired up to his Mondeo ready to jump, all I got was click click. Now here's the strange thing the lights came on even though they were switched off, tried a couple of times but nothing.

Pushed the car off the forecourt and waited for the RAC. thinking the worse, ECU knacked but I regularly check and a few days ago it was dry as a bone.

Anyway RAC guy came tightened up battery connections and fitted his high power jumps across the battery, still nothing but click click, he though it might be an earthing issue but this checked out Ok. Again lights came on even though they were switched off .

He though there was something strange up and asked if the car had been jumped the wrong way (ie negtive on positive term) but I stated no, could not understand why it wasn't turning over. Then he smelt the acid and knew something strange was up. I stated that 75's do funnies with flat or duff batts and sure enough he got a spare out and tried and hey presto everything worked fine, Loaned me the battery and followed me home and I have just fitted a new one.

So possible short across the battery but as stated it had been fine, no other symptoms of failure.

Moral - if your 75 does funny things that you can't explain look to the battery.

Stubs

tourerfogey
11th December 2006, 12:27
I was talking about this sort of thing to someone recently and we both agreed that in the 'old' days batteries used to gradually die and you could struggle on with an old battery for days by recharging it regularly. Nowadays batteries either seem to work or not work - once they're dead they're dead and that's it - no middle ground (pardon the pun)

Ken
11th December 2006, 14:02
I was talking about this sort of thing to someone recently and we both agreed that in the 'old' days batteries used to gradually die and you could struggle on with an old battery for days by recharging it regularly. Nowadays batteries either seem to work or not work - once they're dead they're dead and that's it - no middle ground (pardon the pun)

Exactly right. We used to say the battery is on its way out and would wait a few weeks before getting a new one. Charging up the old one half a dozen times before taking the plunge and popping down to the blue star garage :lol:

stef_uk
11th December 2006, 17:54
i think nowadays with all this electronic wizzardry the car stipulates exactly how much voltage and power it needs to run if it doesn't get it it plays silly buggers:eek:

Z135T
11th December 2006, 18:36
Yesterday after driving a short trip pulled into garage for couple of gallons, came out and started the car in gear - stalled - hey we all do it.
Stubs

believe the technical term is engine failure, (for those that have passed their test).

mantianak
20th March 2007, 16:23
I had the same problem almost a year ago. Went to jump it but only got the 'click click click' sound.

I was trying to jump it from my mum's little ford ka. I decided it wasn't beefy enough to jump from so I got my mum to really rev the ka's engine.
It worked! Her engine almost clonked out even when reving high. I think 75's are very power hungry and refude to go unless a certain ammount is ready and waiting.

JohnDotCom
20th March 2007, 16:29
You try jumping the Diesel with a "normal" car!
The reason they either work or nothing at all now is the ECU and other parts do need a set Voltage and Current supply if thats not there they either shut down or Flash lights and other non linked things.

Keith
20th March 2007, 19:41
You try jumping the Diesel with a "normal" car!

Easy, did it at Haynes on Sunday, well normal as in it runs on Petrol! Has a few more cylinders than normal though :)

SKUDman
20th March 2007, 20:54
Amazing, my battery died yeserday first thing. Had used the FBH but come to start and ....nothing. Just the clicks, the lights coming on although switched off....wierd! Bloke I know put his meter thing across it and said nope, it's dead - get a new one. Cars only 2 years old done 19.5K. Thats not very good. Maybe it had stood around in a field for months before first reg. Incidentally got new one for 43 quid from Chemix Wednesfield. Does that sound about right?

JohnDotCom
20th March 2007, 21:12
Easy, did it at Haynes on Sunday, well normal as in it runs on Petrol! Has a few more cylinders than normal though :)

I did say a Normal Car Keith not one of the nice ZT/75's with the loud Grunt! :drool4: :pillow:

Keith
20th March 2007, 21:34
Amazing, my battery died yeserday first thing. Had used the FBH but come to start and ....nothing. Just the clicks, the lights coming on although switched off....wierd! Bloke I know put his meter thing across it and said nope, it's dead - get a new one. Cars only 2 years old done 19.5K. Thats not very good. Maybe it had stood around in a field for months before first reg. Incidentally got new one for 43 quid from Chemix Wednesfield. Does that sound about right?

I doubt it has failed I can cause my car to not start if I use the fbh to long after it has been standing a few days

The drain the FBH causes is just enough to knock the battery down temporarily to about 11.2v and that is enough to cause the electronics to go silly, charge it up and see what happens

SKUDman
20th March 2007, 22:04
Cheers Keith for that - I fear it's too late and I might have been hasty as deal now done. One thing though, the little window on top of battery indicated it was on way out according to the colour (or lack of). Still its only money (gnash gnash!)

Keith
21st March 2007, 09:45
I still have my old CDT battery, perfectly ok on my Tractor mower but useless on the car.

I have never seen a healthy staus indicator yet so I don't think they are very accurate

EnEnGee
21st March 2007, 12:02
Exactly right. We used to say the battery is on its way out and would wait a few weeks before getting a new one. Charging up the old one half a dozen times before taking the plunge and popping down to the blue star garage :lol:

When I was a poor engineering trainee, I was not on a great deal of money and each car problem was a potential crisis, especially if the breakers couldn't provide the bits.

With my battery on the way out during the winter, I took to bringing it in each night and putting it next to the radiator each night to keep it warm and taking it out in the morning. Stingey or what?

baxlin
21st March 2007, 13:12
I still have my old CDT battery, perfectly ok on my Tractor mower but useless on the car.

Mine powers the car radio in the garage.

crofts
21st March 2007, 13:57
i think nowadays with all this electronic wizzardry the car stipulates exactly how much voltage and power it needs to run if it doesn't get it it plays silly buggers:eek:

Good on yer stef ! A good simple explanation that leaves no room for doubt ! :lol:

mantianak
22nd March 2007, 20:37
Is it possible to get heavy duty batteries for KV6? Doesn't seem to be much room for anything bigger.