PDA

View Full Version : How to remove key blade from fob

Departed
23rd January 2008, 20:13
Hello.

Does anyone know how to remove the blade from the fob without breaking it? Seen a key blank on fleabay. I know it won't start the car if I get one cut, but at least I could rescue my good key in case of stupidity.

Simon
23rd January 2008, 20:15
Not sure if that's posbbile. If the fob on eBay is a blank you can get it cut to the same as yours but it wont be able to deactivate the immobiliser nor operate the remote locking (as you know).

Departed
23rd January 2008, 21:07
The blank fob is too expensive.

I'm looking at a blank blade, about a fiver.

Worth a punt even if I can't fit it to a fob, but I wanted to try the non destructive method of checking the blank is the right one, first.

Simon
23rd January 2008, 21:10
So, eBay has a blade only for sale? You got a link to have a look?

I would say it didn't matter about the fob part because (in my mind at least) if you had a blade you could get that cut to the correct shape and then mount it using something like Araldite to a suitable piece of plastic/metal to enable you to turn the lock barrel of the car. Am I on the right line of thought?

Departed
23rd January 2008, 21:17
Yes. Listed for Mini, but in the early days at least mini and 75 were twin brothers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-UNCUT-KEY-BLADE-BLANK-FOR-MINI-COOPER-REMOTE-KEY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40016QQihZ012QQitem Z220194294063QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Don't go buying them all now.

Simon
23rd January 2008, 21:19
They do look remarkably similar, don't they. As you say - worth a punt.

Keith
23rd January 2008, 21:22
If you look at where it goes in the fob you will notice a keyed molding which simply slots in so just twist side to side and pull

Lates
23rd January 2008, 22:14
Check out a company called north west keys based in liverpool ;) Let me know their item no. and I wil see what deal I can get you all.