PDA

View Full Version : Misconceptions of non-Rover owners

Bernard LPG
11th December 2006, 19:47
The other day chappie arrives at our unit with 05 reg Ford Mondeo
diesel with knackered engine. Ford main dealer said it needed a new engine
and "That will be £7500 plus Vat please Sir."

He's chatting to me and my colleague, both of us with Rover 75s, 600s and Sterlings.

"B****y hell", says Mondeo man, "You're brave, running Rovers".

"Why?" say we in unison.

"Well, they're so unreliable"

"Oh yeah, which Rovers have you had, then?", again in unison.

"Oh none, I'm a Ford man" He says.

"FFS, you're the guy with the year old knackered car."

I still cannot believe the great British public.

Bernard

GreyGhost
11th December 2006, 19:55
There's none so blind as those that cannot see :)

Welcome to the club and the forum

JP53
11th December 2006, 20:20

He's chatting to me and my colleague, both of us with Rover 75s, 600s and Sterlings.

"Why?" say we in unison.

Bernard

Unfortunately this attitude is rife :( When people find out what car I drive they usually say "oh". I'm sure that this sort of thing aided the demise of MGR.

Paranoid Carlos
12th December 2006, 11:01
Tis true.....Everybody and then some seem to know about the k series head gaskets going all the time, but nobody seems to know about all the ford renault, mercedes etc etc problems. It was the same when I had my 2 previous Citroen Xantia's everybody waited for the electrical failure or the suspension to cost £2000+ to fix, well they were the most reliable cars i've owned and there really is nothing scary about the hydraulics as long as they are not neglected. If I could maintain all it anybody could.;)

pshuttle
12th December 2006, 11:57
The big one I get all the time is "You will be knackered if anything major goes wrong with your car now MG-Rover are defunct."

To which I tell them about X-Part. But you can tell by the look in their eyes that they do not quite believe you!

Ken
12th December 2006, 12:07
To which I tell them about X-Part. But you can tell by the look in their eyes that they do not quite believe you!

Thats because they don't want to believe you. They jump onto the bandwagon 'knowing the facts' then when faced with real facts they have no answer as they really don't have a clue.

Ken

GreyGhost
12th December 2006, 12:41
I must be on my own here, everybody that mentions my car to me just says, "what a beautiful car, or, that's gorgeous what is it" A few make the usual silly guesses, mostly when told it's an MG they don't quite believe it.
I usually describe it as a 75 in a mini skirt. :lol:

In depth conversations turn to parts availability, reliability and prices, well you all know the answers so no point discussing it here :D

I usually have no trouble getting my point across to some open mouthed listeners.
I have a way with worms. :)

pshuttle
12th December 2006, 13:26
I must be on my own here, everybody that mentions my car to me just says, "what a beautiful car, or, that's gorgeous what is it" A few make the usual silly guesses, mostly when told it's an MG they don't quite believe it.
I usually describe it as a 75 in a mini skirt. :lol:

I always thought the ZT was the girlie of the two cars GG/MM ;)

Most people seem to think my 75 cost me a fortune and are constantly surprised I can afford to run such a luxury car at my young and nubile age. Which of course inflates me ego considerably (all the while knowing that my car cost me less to buy tan their little Ford Fester).

Pete

GreyGhost
12th December 2006, 14:00
I always thought the ZT was the girlie of the two cars GG/MM ;)
Pete

That's sexier Pete, you should know that. :p:

pshuttle
12th December 2006, 14:09
Don't you mean tarty?

:D

mykl
12th December 2006, 14:30
Don't you mean tarty?

:D

I like tarty!

mykl

pshuttle
12th December 2006, 14:33
I like tarty!

mykl

Hehe me too!

Spôôk
12th December 2006, 15:38
(all the while knowing that my car cost me less to buy tan their little Ford Fester).
Pete
Retrofitted Electric Leather Interior, Retrofitted Projector Headlights (with Xenon HID kit), Chrome Mirror Backs, Front and Rear Genuine MG Rover Mudflaps, PSI Powerbox Digital Tuning Module, RoverRon MAFAM with Pierburg MAF Sensor, RoverRon Intake Modification, K&N Air Filter, Chrome Indicator Bulbs, 17" OZ Alloy Wheels, Dash/Switch Wood Kit, Fog Lights.
Ahem, with all that retrofit I would guess you are way above the "Festers" of this World.:p:

pshuttle
12th December 2006, 16:43
Ahem, with all that retrofit I would guess you are way above the "Festers" of this World.:p:

Well if I had just NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- bought one with all the toys to start with it would have saved me a lot of hassle. :rolleyes:

But hey I was not able to afford anything above about 5 grand and this was the January before MG-Rover went bust! :eek:

Pete

Pete
12th December 2006, 16:50
I was just thinking of Grey Ghost and the word tarty.

Nope, too horrible an image to describe.

Anyway....... I can't really say that anyone has been deliberately rude or ignorant about The Beloved to me. A few innocent questions, a lot of compliments (because she is a stunner), and some leg-pulling about needing a fitted pipe rack but that's pretty much all.

In fact, one such payer of a huge compliment was the Chariman of Wolverhampton Wanderers. Sir Jack Hayward bought a 75 CDT and I parked up behind him on our village High Street not long after I first had mine. He loved his - especially the fuel economy - but he did say he thought Midnight Blue perhaps suited the car better than his. We had a good natter before he disappeared into the restuarant. In fact I missed the deadline for a lottery ticket because of him, mutter mutter. :laughing2:

His 75 was in copperleaf red by the way....... :poke:

Ex-England Womens Cricket Captain Racheal Heyhoe-Flint also drives a 75. Often see her round the village in it. Doesn't hang about either.

GreyGhost
12th December 2006, 17:09
I was just thinking of Grey Ghost and the word tarty.

Nope, too horrible an image to describe.

:iagree: :suckers: :iagree:

JP53
12th December 2006, 20:29
At the local B and Q DIY store last Wednesday there was a Trophy Blue mk1 ZT parked up. It had 3 people admiring it when I went into the store and when I came out someone else was stood looking it! As I drove off another chap trip up the curb because him and his mate were looking over their shoulders at it.

Simon
12th December 2006, 21:44
Everyone who has seen my ZT has only good things to say about it.

My mom even said "I saw a realy nice red car drive up along side the house... I only glanced at it but it looked very very posh and smart".

She then said "And then you knocked on the front door... So the car must have been yours" :laughing2:

I reckon all those bad-mouthing Rovers/MG's have yet to actually see them in-the-flesh. I'm sure they'll be instant converts once they are "shown the way" :rofl:

GreyGhost
12th December 2006, 22:16
How many times in the future are we going to hear, "wish I'd have bought one of those" I'm already hearing it from 2 of my neighbours, both with mercs and serious backache. I tell them with great glee, that I have not had an osteopathic treatment since I bought this car, whereas before it was a regular monthly feature of my life. That's over £1000.00 in saving so far, at that rate I can afford to have another for the weekends. :)
Not to mention feeling like a prince every time I take it out.

baxlin
12th December 2006, 23:05
Not to mention feeling like a prince every time I take it out.

Do you know, that sums it up. I've had some what I consider to be nice cars, including a Sterling, but I've had the 75 for about 21 months now, and I still look forward to getting into it, I feel special driving it, and ALWAYS look back as I walk away from it!

Silly really, it's only a car.....

Simon
12th December 2006, 23:18
I still look forward to getting into it, I feel special driving it, and ALWAYS look back as I walk away from it!

Wot :iagree:

I too look back at my car, and it makes me smile :lol:

I reckon everyone else parking their cars in the morning thinks I'm paranoid about someone bumping my ZT (well, actually.. they're right!) but my backwards glance is just to have 'one more look'. I can't get enough.... :drool4:

JP53
13th December 2006, 06:12
Everyone who has seen my ZT has only good things to say about it.

My mom even said "I saw a realy nice red car drive up along side the house... I only glanced at it but it looked very very posh and smart".

She then said "And then you knocked on the front door... So the car must have been yours" :laughing2:

I reckon all those bad-mouthing Rovers/MG's have yet to actually see them in-the-flesh. I'm sure they'll be instant converts once they are "shown the way" :rofl:

Too many people knock things because they listen to what other people say!

JohnDotCom
13th December 2006, 08:51
Each to their Own...I never knock other makes of Cars, I don't need to.....Ive Got the Best there still is at any price!

baxlin
13th December 2006, 08:58
Ive Got the Best there still is at any price!

Except that it's silver........

JohnDotCom
13th December 2006, 14:27
Now, Now:clap: Lets not open up the "Silver" debate again
:jedi:
......I Love it, so thats the main thing.:drool4:

baxlin
13th December 2006, 15:01
Now, Now:clap: Lets not open up the "Silver" debate again
:jedi:
......I Love it, so thats the main thing.:drool4:

Sorry, John, just couldn't resist it!

JohnDotCom
13th December 2006, 16:43
You're Forgiven. :lol:

Ken
13th December 2006, 17:50
Thought you might be interested in this bit of a 75 review I found, seems to sum the car up quite nicely. I wish I had written it myself.

The Rover 75 was created to ‘give owners that special sense of occasion every time they use it.’ Most will agree that it does. On paper, it competes against cars like Audi’s A4, BMW’s 3 Series, Saab’s 9-3, Mercedes’ C-class and Alfa Romeo’s 156. In the metal, however, it’s a different story. Set a 75 alongside any of these and it seems a classier proposition altogether. So much so in fact that you’d think it competed in the next class up against BMW 5 Series and Audi A6 opposition.

JP53
13th December 2006, 19:36
Thought you might be interested in this bit of a 75 review I found, seems to sum the car up quite nicely. I wish I had written it myself.

The Rover 75 was created to ‘give owners that special sense of occasion every time they use it.’ Most will agree that it does. On paper, it competes against cars like Audi’s A4, BMW’s 3 Series, Saab’s 9-3, Mercedes’ C-class and Alfa Romeo’s 156. In the metal, however, it’s a different story. Set a 75 alongside any of these and it seems a classier proposition altogether. So much so in fact that you’d think it competed in the next class up against BMW 5 Series and Audi A6 opposition.

The author is obviously a person of high breeding with impeccable taste and a true understanding of all things automotive. ;) :D

Ken
13th December 2006, 19:59
The author is obviously a person of high breeding with impeccable taste and a true understanding of all things automotive. ;) :D

I agree John its a well written and very truthful piece. I am quite glad i found it really as I had never seen that write up before.

Ken :lol:

JP53
13th December 2006, 20:02
I agree John its a well written and very truthful piece. I am quite glad i found it really as I had never seen that write up before.

Ken :lol:

Well spotted Ken. I'm printing a few copies to show the non believers I know :)

driverjgp
13th December 2006, 20:07

"Why?" say we in unison.

Bernard

I had a bit off that when I was waiting to take delivery of my much loved 75, I told by boss i bought a 75 and he replied "your a brave man"

JP53
13th December 2006, 20:09
I had a bit off that when I was waiting to take delivery of my much loved 75, I told by boss i bought a 75 and he replied "your a brave man"

Better a wise brave man than a foolish sheep :D

Simon
13th December 2006, 22:34
Better a wise brave man than a foolish sheep :D

Is that an actual proverb?

I mean... how foolish does a sheep have to be before it accidently buys the wrong car. :rofl: