PDA

View Full Version : Key Blade Lost

TokenYank
26th May 2013, 18:31
Right, So the same day I got my 75, I lost the blade to my fob, still have the fob so can unlock the doors, but can't start the car cause I've got no key... I've got in touch with a couple locksmiths who say they can take the VIN and get a code to cut a new key to put back in the fob at a cost of £90.... not too big a deal...

I've done a lot of searching online and found that there are some problems with aftermarket keys... but can't really make heads nor tails of the stories I'm reading, some on this site and some on the MG Rover forum site...

So what problems am I likely to run into (if any) and does anyone know if they are able to cut a key from the VIN with a code they get from some company they won't elaborate on....?

And next week when I get paid and I want to make myself a spare key / fob with chip and all the rest (I've never owned a car with an immobiliser I can't just bypass with a few joined up wires) What is the process of getting a key, and getting it programmed to the immobiliser so it all works and I can put it in a drawer for a rainy day? Is there special hardware that is required to pair them up or can you just unlock the door 5 times, turn the ignition on and off 5 times, do a little dance and push a button to make it all happen?

I'm totally in the dark here, so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Davy
26th May 2013, 18:44
you should contact Marinabrian or big russ about a replacement key and they will be able to advise you.try this link http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=13883

Davy

TokenYank
28th May 2013, 17:26
All sorted now!

Got a locksmith out, who used a gadget to read the ignition barrel, and use his findings to make a new blade, which he fit my internals from my fob, and presto! I'm on the road again!!!

75 quid down... but I'm on the road again!

Got it parked up off the road till I can get the log book sorted as it's currently registered for disabled use and I've gotta wait till I get paid on friday before I have the money for 6 months tax, and change the rear wheel bearing, then swap the cars on my insurance, and I'll be away! Next gonna save up and get a proper key from a dealership... I guess alternatively, I could secure the chip near the ignition, and just get a spare key cut... wouldn't have remote locking... but I've never had that before so it wouldn't be any different for me, and I'd have a much cheaper key to replace....

marinabrian
28th May 2013, 18:30
All sorted now!

Got a locksmith out, who used a gadget to read the ignition barrel, and use his findings to make a new blade, which he fit my internals from my fob, and presto! I'm on the road again!!!

75 quid down... but I'm on the road again!

Got it parked up off the road till I can get the log book sorted as it's currently registered for disabled use and I've gotta wait till I get paid on friday before I have the money for 6 months tax, and change the rear wheel bearing, then swap the cars on my insurance, and I'll be away! Next gonna save up and get a proper key from a dealership... I guess alternatively, I could secure the chip near the ignition, and just get a spare key cut... wouldn't have remote locking... but I've never had that before so it wouldn't be any different for me, and I'd have a much cheaper key to replace....

Won't work, you cannot physically lock the car with a transponder visible to the immobiliser ;)
As you've now sorted out a working key blade, either myself or Big Russ can sort you out with a spare ;)
Oh about £130 cheaper than a key from a dealer too :)
Brian :D

andyg2011
28th May 2013, 18:33
Won't work, you cannot physically lock the car with a transponder visible to the immobiliser ;)
As you've now sorted out a working key blade, either myself or Big Russ can sort you out with a spare ;)
Oh about £130 cheaper than a key from a dealer too :)

Brian to the rescueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:bowdown::bowd own::bowdown:

Your knowledge is scary

where do you keep all that info,

TokenYank
28th May 2013, 19:43
I can feel a trip to the east coast happening soon.....

andyg2011
28th May 2013, 19:45
I can feel a trip to the east coast happening soon.....

Or Bigruss in Halifax West Yorkshire

TokenYank
28th May 2013, 19:59
just checked the map and big russ is less than half the distance than goin to newcastle.... maybe just take the hour and a half journey instead! lol

Is russ able to program the keys as well?

Will I need a spankin new fob and chip or could I get one off ebay and get it re-programmed?

marinabrian
28th May 2013, 20:20
just checked the map and big russ is less than half the distance than goin to newcastle.... maybe just take the hour and a half journey instead! lol

Is russ able to program the keys as well?

Will I need a spankin new fob and chip or could I get one off ebay and get it re-programmed?

Russ will supply everything you need for a fully functional key :)
The only thing you'll need to do is have the blade cut ;)