PDA

View Full Version : Problem with DD head radio reception.

caravaman0
30th May 2013, 20:21
Problem with DD head radio reception.

Hi have fitted a DD head unit and don’t get radio good reception had good signal on the other radio can anyone point me in the right direction how to improve the signal please.

Thanks caravanman0 Clive
:):):)

andyg2011
30th May 2013, 20:25
Problem with DD head radio reception.

Hi have fitted a DD head unit and don’t get radio good reception had good signal on the other radio can anyone point me in the right direction how to improve the signal please.

Thanks caravanman0 Clive
:):):)

Hello

have you emailed radioguy ????

I also believe coolcat is on the case :bowdown::bowdown:

caravaman0
30th May 2013, 20:33
Yes have talked to Sean and he says could use a dab setup only trouble a bit to expensive at the moment so looking for a cheaper option
thanks Clive

Godfer
30th May 2013, 20:41
Prior to installing my Radioguy DDin I had the full Highline kit. Once installed, radio reception was indeed poor (particularly AM). I sourced an OEM aerial cable from a breaker (that fitted to all non-Highline systems: Symphony etc) and connected such between the aerial amp (located behind the trim panel on the N\S C-Pillar) and the DDin unit (routing it appropriately).

The cable cost a mere £10...since then reception has been faultless!

Give it a try!

andyg2011
30th May 2013, 20:42
Prior to installing my Radioguy DDin I had the full Highline kit. Once installed, radio reception was indeed poor (paricularly AM). I sourced an OEM aerial cable from a breaker (that fitted to all non-Highline systems: Symphony etc) and connected such between the aerial amp (located behind the trim panel on the N\S C-Pillar) and the DDin unit (routing it appropriately).

The cable cost a mere £10...since the reception has been faultless!

Give it a try!

Or you could set up a HK system :getmecoat:

Godfer
30th May 2013, 20:46

If you want an overrated, expensive solution...feel free! ;)

andyg2011
30th May 2013, 20:47
If you want an overrated, expensive solution...feel free! ;)

hahahahhahahhaha

caravaman0
30th May 2013, 20:55

Need to save money not shell it out just need a good fix for problem as cheep and easy for someone who is not up on these things had a job sorting the head unit out,

andyg2011
30th May 2013, 20:57
Need to save money not shell it out just need a good fix for problem as cheep and easy for someone who is not up on these things had a job sorting the head unit out,

i know

am so sorry it was a private joke with sid he loves HK

i hope you get it sorted soonnnnnnnnnnnnn

caravaman0
30th May 2013, 21:07
i know

am so sorry it was a private joke with sid he loves HK

i hope you get it sorted soonnnnnnnnnnnnn

Ok that fine not a problem nice to see some one with a
sense of hummer :):):)

coolcat
30th May 2013, 23:52
I'm off to bed now having just got in from a night out.
Feel free to give me a shout tomorrow and I'll see if I can help in any way:}

Radioguy
31st May 2013, 12:28
Yes have talked to Sean and he says could use a dab setup only trouble a bit to expensive at the moment so looking for a cheaper option
thanks Clive

Just to Clarify this , because it looks like I was trying to Sell a Solution. Which I do not do. Clive Suggested a DAB , I Said its Possible but that Coolcat (Jeff) had a Solution coming... and asked Clive to wait a bit. I Also agreed to send a DAB receiver NO CHARGE first to see if it solves the problem. Clive is a fantastic customer and I know that he didnt mean the above the way it could be interpreted.

Here is What is Happening,
It is Happening in some cars
We were getting a few Complaints , took the head units back for checking and they worked perfectly on the bench.
It was inexplicable but then one of our customers Bought a Cheap old telescoping radio antenna and it worked PERFECTLY
So, It seems there is SOmething in the Car Aerials System that is causing the problem. This Coming Weekend a member with one from the forum is coming and they plan to test it and see what it is.

caravaman0
4th June 2013, 07:53
What Sean has said is true and the post was not in any way reflecting on him it was jus a hope that someone had the same problem and has found a solution to it.
Sean has said he will lend me a DAB unit to try to see if that helped in solving the problem so I am taking him up on his offer just to see if it does solve the problem if so this might be the way forward for me if coolcat come up with a solution then I will have two answers to the problem but think if the DAB works I will have the unit off Sean and must say thank you to Sean he has been on the ball all the time with trying to help would recommend him to everyone anywhere. Looking at all the posts and you will see how he tries to help each and every one keep up the good work Sean.

Vanbursta
5th June 2013, 21:27
Did anyone ever get an answer to the poor radio reception? I have tried a new aerial, an amplifier, using the rear screen aerial and even a roof mounted aerial with +25db amp and reception is still poor.

Can anyone help with any suggestions please!:bowdown:

marke46320d
5th June 2013, 22:40
I'm currently in talks with Sean and coolcat about the same problem too.
I've tried the telescopic aerial and it was worse.
Just waiting to find out about how to connect the rear side window aerials.

caravaman0
6th June 2013, 07:32
Hi it is funny we seam to have the same problem loss of signal strength.
I am waiting for Sean to send me a DVB unit to see if that fixes the problem.
Hope we can get these things working think this is a fantastic bit of kit when we can have them working lol.

DennisA
7th June 2013, 08:37
Why should this only happen on some of the cars?

I fitted Sean's DD some months ago, replaced my Symphony unit and everything was simple mostly just "plug and play". I had to alter a few things as I also have the wireless reversing camera but it was simple and I only plugged in the original aerial which has worked fine?

Is the problem only with cars originally fitted with Hi-line units or is there a build date related problem with something altered say in the face-lift models, mine's 12/2003 ( 2004 model) pre-facelift?

It seems strange to me as if there is a basic built in problem with the orginal MGR equipment affecting the reception then it should be for all the cars and models.

I have some niggles but that is mainly with the SatNav system after years with TomTom and I am gradually getting used to things but I hope to get advice etc at one of the NW meets in near future from someone who knows a lot more than me of the various IGO 8 options.

Just getting confused as to various problems encountered on some cars with these great after market units.

Brgds Dennis

coolcat
7th June 2013, 08:48
Why should this only happen on some of the cars?

I fitted Sean's DD some months ago, replaced my Symphony unit and everything was simple mostly just "plug and play". I had to alter a few things as I also have the wireless reversing camera but it was simple and I only plugged in the original aerial which has worked fine?

Is the problem only with cars originally fitted with Hi-line units or is there a build date related problem with something altered say in the face-lift models, mine's 12/2003 ( 2004 model) pre-facelift?

It seems strange to me as if there is a basic built in problem with the orginal MGR equipment affecting the reception then it should be for all the cars and models.

I have some niggles but that is mainly with the SatNav system after years with TomTom and I am gradually getting used to things but I hope to get advice etc at one of the NW meets in near future from someone who knows a lot more than me of the various IGO 8 options.

Just getting confused as to various problems encountered on some cars with these great after market units.

Brgds Dennis

You and me both Dennis,
Every reported radio reception issue that we have bench tested has worked perfectly without so much as any hiss etc.
It would seem to be more a problem with the high line factory fit which has the tuner/receiver in the boot instead of the head unit.

The problem seems to be how the screen mounted active aerials react with the tuner.
Another member on here has done a test using a telescopic aerial on his Android unit and found all the problems went away for him.

This is the same findings we are getting on the bench.
It is why we sent the telescopic aerial out for Mark to try.
Unfortunately in his case, it doesn't seem to have had the same effect as the oem aerial is still giving him a better but not satisfactory reception!

So it does somewhat seem to be on an individual car basis which never helps getting a 'one answer fits all' result.
If only life were more simple:)

marke46320d
7th June 2013, 09:59
At the moment my aerial lead has been spliced into the oem aerial lead from the loom. The two screen aerials wires are not connected.
I looked on my oem radio tuner module which was in the cupboard and I can see where the two screen aerial wires connect but I presume the aerial lead that has been spliced would be part of the two sockets that plug in to it.
How do I connect the rear screens and the aerial lead to the head unit?
Also, a member has said that he has been able to power the aerial via his dvb tuner box using the 2nd aerial connection. How is this possible?

coolcat
7th June 2013, 11:46
At the moment my aerial lead has been spliced into the oem aerial lead from the loom. The two screen aerials wires are not connected.
I looked on my oem radio tuner module which was in the cupboard and I can see where the two screen aerial wires connect but I presume the aerial lead that has been spliced would be part of the two sockets that plug in to it.
How do I connect the rear screens and the aerial lead to the head unit?
Also, a member has said that he has been able to power the aerial via his dvb tuner box using the 2nd aerial connection. How is this possible?

Hi Mark,
It very much sounds like any radio reception you are getting is purely from the cable if the aerials aren't connected to this.
Where the radio module was it must have had the aerials feeding this.
I would think what you need to do is connect the cable from the aerials that fed the tuning module to the aerial lead that is running to your head unit.
The best way to do this is to solder and sleeve the wires.
Remembering that you have a centre cable and an outside earth and that these both need connecting but making sure not to short them out against each other.
Regarding the power for the aerials amp, I'm not sure whether they derived the power from the module or whether it is powered elsewhere.
Hopefully someone will come along with the answer to this.

Cheers,

Jeff.

marke46320d
7th June 2013, 12:47
Cheers Jeff.

At the moment I have an aerial lead that runs from the head unit to the boot.

This is then soldered to the loom.

This loom would originally have been plugged into the radio module.

The screen aerials plug into the radio module.

Looking at my radio module there are only two sockets for the two screen aerials and two plug sockets.

Therefore I would assume the aerial connection is made to the original head unit via the plug sockets.

So if I connect the screen aerials to the radio module and the module to the plugs again the aerial feed must have been made via one of the two plugs that go into the back of the dd unit.

marke46320d
8th June 2013, 15:44
Any ideas?

Radioguy
9th June 2013, 11:59
Hey Mark

Have a Look Here

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/10040509fdfcdb9748.jpg

caravaman0
15th June 2013, 16:49
Well fitted the new DAB unit and it works a treat with the aerial that Sean sent with it will try for a bit and let you know how good it really is but up to now fabulous.