PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Tailgate

Angler
27th January 2008, 15:00
I bought my Rover 75 Tourer in Sept 07, it is a "53" model...It was bought for an extended Tour of France and performed admirably over the 4500 miles journey.I am well impressed with the car .
I have had only the slightest problem with the airbag warning light, that was quickly sorted via this site, today I have been out , and used the rear tailgate space to carry some odds and ends, on arrival home, the tailgate is stuck shut and will not open at all, the central locking system operates on all the other doors, and the rear window, but the boot remains firmly shut.
I have consulted the owners manual, and it shows a way of opening the boot using a toggle in the emergency triangle holder in the boot lid, checked this, the toggle is missing, obviously used before.
When the central locking system is armed, the car horn very briefly sounds indicating that a door is not shut properly, this is not the case..
Has anybody any ideas how to open the tailgate?
I have tried turning on / off the ignition as per advice on other threads, but no joy.

Greeners
27th January 2008, 15:51
You could try a battery disconection (satnav and radio codes etc....)

Is there any chance that something got caught in the latch when you last closed it ?

Angler
28th January 2008, 11:16
Thanks Greeners, did as you suggested and the tailgate lock released... there was nothing in the mechanism jamming it, and when I closed and locked it again it did the same thing again, the car is under warranty and will be getting repaired at the garage.
Good simple tip though.. thanks. (What I know about modern cars will fill the back of a postage stamp )

David.

AURORA MG
28th January 2008, 18:20
This happened to me a couple of times when I had my 75 Tourer. I just locked & unlocked the car a couple of times with the plipper & it cured it. I think it may be due to the tailgate just not quite shutting tightly enough but I could be wrong!