PDA

View Full Version : Done the Unbelievable!! Rear Bumper Damage

The_Monk
28th January 2008, 07:49
This morning I did the unbelievable and reversed straight into another car. Yes I know, i'm an idiot! I knocked the gear stick out of reverse and rolled backwards and hit the car, as it was rolling quite fast it did a fair bit of damage to both cars.

At first I thought it was just a scuff to my bumper but in the daylight I have sliced and cut a fair chunk out it, along with a billion scratches. Would it be repairable or am I looking at another rear bumper?? Where it is positioned I'm not sure how easy it would be to fill as its on the corner!

JohnDotCom
28th January 2008, 08:19
Sorry to hear that.
I think for Peace of Mind a New Bumper may be best if not the Cheapest Option.
If the other person is going to claim off your Insurance anyway, might as well get yours done that way to IMHO.

The_Monk
28th January 2008, 08:40
Sorry to hear that.
I think for Peace of Mind a New Bumper may be best if not the Cheapest Option.
If the other person is going to claim off your Insurance anyway, might as well get yours done that way to IMHO.

It was actually one of the family cars, for some reason they parked across the road instead of on the drive, so am avoiding the insurance at the moment if I can.

empsburna
28th January 2008, 09:17
any pics of the damage?

ColinW
28th January 2008, 09:21
It was actually one of the family cars, for some reason they parked across the road instead of on the drive, so am avoiding the insurance at the moment if I can.

Well I did the same 2 months ago, by reversing into my gatepost. However my investigations about repair lead me to believe that the bumper replacement is the cheapest route.

Touching up, either by a mobile painter, or a workshop, was going to cost around £180. My excess was £200. So a new bumper, including all new trim strips etc, cost the £200. As far as I was concerned - no contest.

My neighbour had his car scratched on the rear wing, but he had a mobile chap come along, who spent at least six hours on his drive pulling out the dent, filling, sanding, painting etc. It was an acceptable job (£140), but my neighbour was marooned for a day. At least I got a courtesy car, which was a VW Golf TDI sport Auto - wow, but that is another story.

Colin

The_Monk
28th January 2008, 09:37
any pics of the damage?

I've not got my camera on me and it will be dark by the time I get home, but I'll get some taken tomorrow morning and post them up.

The_Monk
28th January 2008, 09:40
Well I did the same 2 months ago, by reversing into my gatepost. However my investigations about repair lead me to believe that the bumper replacement is the cheapest route.

Touching up, either by a mobile painter, or a workshop, was going to cost around £180. My excess was £200. So a new bumper, including all new trim strips etc, cost the £200. As far as I was concerned - no contest.

My neighbour had his car scratched on the rear wing, but he had a mobile chap come along, who spent at least six hours on his drive pulling out the dent, filling, sanding, painting etc. It was an acceptable job (£140), but my neighbour was marooned for a day. At least I got a courtesy car, which was a VW Golf TDI sport Auto - wow, but that is another story.

Colin

Was £200 for a brand new bumper or was it a lucky find?

Keith
28th January 2008, 13:46
Fortunately the bumper is a flimsy single skin affair not full of foam like some cars so a repair especially a temporary one is not impossible getting the finish right is probably the expensive bit.

Is the rear alloy beam ok? I suggest you examine that and the place it bolts on to carefully otherwise any new bumper may not go on properly without a bid of tweaking!

pmessling
28th January 2008, 13:59
should be able to source a bumper cheap, just the painting

Keith
28th January 2008, 14:12
Last time I was at Rover breakers all I could see was row after row of Bumpers on the top shelves in his wharehouse fronts rears you name it

The_Monk
28th January 2008, 15:56
Will probably go down the new bumper route then, and get it sprayed at a local place. Anyone fitted a mk1 rear bumper to facelift car? I could fit mudflaps then!

ColinW
28th January 2008, 16:10
Was £200 for a brand new bumper or was it a lucky find?

No, that was my excess on the insurance! I believe the whole bill came to nigh on £450. I think a new bumper, unpainted is around £270.

So for me it wasn't worth getting touched up.

Colin

The_Monk
28th January 2008, 17:24
No, that was my excess on the insurance! I believe the whole bill came to nigh on £450. I think a new bumper, unpainted is around £270.

So for me it wasn't worth getting touched up.

Colin

Might give my insurance a ring then see whats the best option. I'm such an idiot!

The_Monk
2nd February 2008, 11:10
Sorry for the late update, work is manic

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/35047a45bea1eb8a.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/35047a45beac0d79.jpg

Body repairer reckons he can do it, but what you can see is that the corner of the bumper is slightly depressed. I don't know what they would do for that. Cost is being negotiated.

Alex30013k
3rd February 2008, 09:12
Thats a new bumper job,

The cracks in the pant means the bumper has stress fractures and they will come out in the new paint as soon as there is any movement,

You could still give it a try,

The_Monk
3rd February 2008, 20:36
Thats a new bumper job,

The cracks in the pant means the bumper has stress fractures and they will come out in the new paint as soon as there is any movement,

You could still give it a try,

I'll just have to wait, everytime I get some cash I have to spend on something else. I decided I wanted a BM54 tuner more than a bumper so I've got that instead :)

Zeb
3rd February 2008, 20:39
My old Voyager had a big crack and scraped paint on the rear bumper after a mate reversed into it...my little village garage repaired it perfectly for £150 including a respray...

JohnDotCom
3rd February 2008, 21:58
I'll just have to wait, everytime I get some cash I have to spend on something else. I decided I wanted a BM54 tuner more than a bumper so I've got that instead :)

Now you will just have to save up for the Converter Lead. :D :getmecoat:

The_Monk
4th February 2008, 06:57
Now you will just have to save up for the Converter Lead. :D :getmecoat:

No need, got that too! :p:

JohnDotCom
4th February 2008, 08:17
Now you should Really notice an Improvement in Quality of Sound and Facilities over the Standard Unit supplied.