PDA

View Full Version : Fitting of new steering wheel

Ken
28th January 2008, 15:44
Just popped into my local ex dealer for some t/up paint and while I was there asked how much it would be to fit a supplied wooden wheel.

This is the quote.............
the cost of fitting a supplied Wooden Steering wheel , swopping over and resetting the cruise control is £88.13 inc vat.

resetting cruise? what is that exactly. The 1.8 obviously never had cruise so this is new to me

Cheers

Ken

Phil
28th January 2008, 15:48
I have no idea Ken, I expect the service advisor was getting confused with SRS as the airbag would need removing. Don't you fancy doing it yourself?

Ken
28th January 2008, 16:00
I have no idea Ken, I expect the service advisor was getting confused with SRS as the airbag would need removing. Don't you fancy doing it yourself?

Thats the idea Phil but its the resetting of the cruise that has me confused. The guy is good at his job so he's not getting confused with SRS or anything.

Ken

Christopher
28th January 2008, 16:04
I would have though that if you powered down the car removed battery connection and refit new steering wheel the car would not even know the wheel was swapped - what is there to reset?

I could understand it if the old wheel had no cc and the new did but this is not the case??

Ken
28th January 2008, 16:05
I would have though that if you powered down the car removed battery connection and refit new steering wheel the car would not even know the wheel was swapped - what is there to reset?

I could understand it if the old wheel had no cc and the new did but this is not the case??

Thats what I thought as well, I thought it was plug and play type thing with no resetting needed :shrug:

Raistlin
28th January 2008, 16:38
Speaking as another who both has cruise control and has swapped steering wheels, I don't know what on earth he is talking about.

David3807
28th January 2008, 16:41
Just out of interest Ken the Book time for "Replace Wheel with wood effect wheel" (that was what was on my invoice. I dont touch things that have ANY chance of going Bang ) was .75 hours.

Jules
28th January 2008, 16:48
Me thinks its just technical Jargon, so they can bump up the price.
My Local Rover Dealer (now defunct) stated the airbag would have to be "reset".........what total rubbish!

Takes me approx half an Hour max to do a wheel change.

Raistlin
28th January 2008, 17:09
Takes me approx half an Hour max to do a wheel change.

29.9 minutes of which was waiting for the arming circuit to discharge after disconnecting the battery ;)

Jules
28th January 2008, 17:20
Yes I used the discharge time to find my Torx drives No27 & 19 20 &21 MM sockets IIRC !!!

Ken
28th January 2008, 17:28
Cheers all

I have sent them an email asking that they explain exactly what it is so when I get a reply I will let you know. If I get no reply it will confirm what Jules said "Me thinks its just technical Jargon, so they can bump up the price"

Duotone
28th January 2008, 17:29
Jules..
I thought you needed a T30 torx screwdriver and a 16mm. socket..
My changeover took about an hour + 30 mins. for leaving the battery disconnected.
I had to change over the backplate..

Dave T

BT@Home
28th January 2008, 18:05
I agree with T30 and 16mm wrench.

I did mine over the weekend, and even swapped over the back piece (as mine only has radio controls, but the replacement had cruise too).
Took me close to an hour in total (no idea how long i left it after battery off though, but it was more than 30 mins).

JohnDotCom
28th January 2008, 18:34
I've done three now all in under an Hour and there is nothing to Reset, Recalibrate or Anything else.
Why do these Dealers try and rip you off all the Time. Max charge should not exceed £45 in any part of the Country for time Taken IMHO.

Ken it sounds like a Trip to Wales for you, Synergy and New Wheel, Jules Fan Mod, whats next? :D:D

Raistlin
28th January 2008, 18:38
You'll laugh...but I borrowed a BD visor and gauntlets from work before I attempted the job.

Didn't need them, of course but I felt a lot more confident doing the swap.

Ken
28th January 2008, 18:39
Ken it sounds like a Trip to Wales for you, Synergy and New Wheel, Jules Fan Mod, whats next? :D:D

A trip to Wales? I went to Barry Island back in the 60s cos it had a fair and girls. Ended up trying to keep out the way of mods and rockers having a fight on the beach :)

JohnDotCom
28th January 2008, 18:42
A trip to Wales? Ended up trying to keep out the way of mods and rockers having a fight on the beach :)

Much the same now,
But its the Police you have to keep out of the way of with their Mobile Police Cameras. :)

Raistlin
28th January 2008, 18:48
Much the same now,
But its the Police you have to keep out of the way of with their Mobile Police Cameras. :)

So THAT's where all the Policemen are? ;) :getmecoat:

Jules
28th January 2008, 20:38
Jules..
I thought you needed a T30 torx screwdriver and a 16mm. socket..
My changeover took about an hour + 30 mins. for leaving the battery disconnected.
I had to change over the backplate..

Dave T

That's why I put IIRC !!! (perhaps we should have a new forum abbreviation IIRIC,) If I remember incorrectly :o

Jules
28th January 2008, 20:50
You'll laugh...but I borrowed a BD visor and gauntlets from work before I attempted the job.

Didn't need them, of course but I felt a lot more confident doing the swap.

Hey nothing wrong with health & safety Raistlin!
It's all Butch the lads on building sites & road works I'm sorry for, you know the ones where they don't bother with ear defenders, goggles gloves, masks etc

What really makes me cringe is watching a worker with a petrol grinder/cutter with no goggles. Hell they will all be Deaf & possibly Blind before they retire.

Greeners
28th January 2008, 20:56
What really makes me cringe is watching a worker with a petrol grinder/cutter with no goggles. Hell they will all be Deaf & possibly Blind before they retire.

Sad thing is, statistically, a lot of them won't retire...

madone
28th January 2008, 21:37
Speaking as another who both has cruise control and has swapped steering wheels, I don't know what on earth he is talking about.

I concur mate

baxlin
29th January 2008, 08:12

Ditto :) :)

Moonstone
29th January 2008, 09:00
Could the T4 just be for clearing errors set during the replacement? (e.g. airbag disconnection) Desirable but not essential?

JohnDotCom
29th January 2008, 13:05
I have not had those error lights come on when Undertaking this,
But any errors could be turned off with my Unit at Home if they did.
The T4 could clear Faults as you say but why would any be recorded changing the Wheel?

rollsey1
29th January 2008, 13:51
Pete from Lates did mine without disconnecting anything - very quick but not sure that it should be tried without prior consideration!

Ken
29th January 2008, 15:19
Cheers all

I have sent them an email asking that they explain exactly what it is so when I get a reply I will let you know. If I get no reply it will confirm what Jules said "Me thinks its just technical Jargon, so they can bump up the price"

As promised here is their reply..............nothing at all :o

Simon W
2nd February 2008, 14:10
Not sure if you've changed it yet Ken - if you haven't the tricky bit is the two T30 Torx screws that bolt the airbag module to the steering wheel.

You need a T30 screwdriver - the 'bit & handle' types are too fat and get stuck in the plastic moulding without reaching the screws.

Once you've changed the wheels over, getting the Torx screws to locate in their sockets again can be a real pig. They don't line up easily.

Christopher
2nd February 2008, 14:40
Simon, Ken came over and we changed his steering wheel - his new black/walnut one looks lovely! ;)

The biggest problem we had was losening the the bolt holding the wheel in place - looks like it was from factory fit but it was damn tight and we almost gave up a couple of times - but we persevered :)

The torx screws were OK as I have a long shafted set of torx keys ;)

Simon W
2nd February 2008, 15:14
Glad to hear you had no probs with those pesky Torx screws - even with a long screwdriver it took 90 mins or so before I could get mine to line up (re-assembly).

The main column bolt was very, very tight on mine. I tried it without an extension bar on the wrench (no chance), a short extension bar (still no chance) and finally two extension bars together. It still wouldn't budge so I gave the wrench a hefty whack with a rubber mallet. This did the trick but the nut gave way all of a sudden and the wrench handle whacked me in the chest - damned nearly broke a rib!

Christopher
2nd February 2008, 15:26
The main column bolt was very, very tight on mine. I tried it without an extension bar on the wrench (no chance), a short extension bar (still no chance) and finally two extension bars together. It still wouldn't budge so I gave the wrench a hefty whack with a rubber mallet. This did the trick but the nut gave way all of a sudden and the wrench handle whacked me in the chest - damned nearly broke a rib!

yes, we used a long hollow pipe I had handy and after a sharp jolt on the end of that it gave way! :)

Simon W
2nd February 2008, 15:53
I have seen trickier ones though Chris - e.g. changing the rear wheel bearing on a Triumph Herald. We tried everything to get the old one off (hub puller, gallons of WD40, blowgun, etc, etc) but it didn't want to know.

In the end we took the half axle off the car and sent it to my dad's factory where they put it on a hundred-ton press. It took a force of seven tons to break the taper on the tiny bearing. That's three and a half Volvo estates!

Christopher
2nd February 2008, 16:15
No - it wasn't that bad Simon!! ;)