PDA

View Full Version : 2 hours to change a light bulb !

Rushy Racer
12th December 2006, 20:38
Yes thats what it took me to change the n/s dip beam projector bulb on my facelift ZT-T............why because the hatch in the wheel arch liner is blocked by an air intake pipe when you take it off and if you unfasten the fuse box that doesnt lift far enough out of the way to get your hand in so, ....off came the front bumper etc , off with the complete light unit and hey presto one dip bulb changed........fitted the second horn whilst I was at it though !:lol:

Mike
12th December 2006, 20:57
:eek:

Good job done there :) What a pain though eh! How are the horns sounding now?

Mike

rockydo
12th December 2006, 21:56
Yes thats what it took me to change the n/s dip beam projector bulb on my facelift ZT-T............why because the hatch in the wheel arch liner is blocked by an air intake pipe when you take it off and if you unfasten the fuse box that doesnt lift far enough out of the way to get your hand in so, ....off came the front bumper etc , off with the complete light unit and hey presto one dip bulb changed........fitted the second horn whilst I was at it though !:lol: glad to see it took you 2 hours congrats ,i was there an easy 4 , like you iadded the second horn . which didnt work. So bumper back off to a complete new pair of horns was fitted much quiker second time round oh and the horns work now i fitted the dual tone piaa as standard fit its gooood

MGZTT190+
12th December 2006, 22:14
I had to change a bulb last November on the offside on my Mk1 preface. It was simple..Wound the sterring full lock and undid the the catch in the front inner arch, Wound my hand up there and was able to get to the rear of the cluster. I was told it was a workshop Job but managed it OK in no time about 15mins in the dark..Cannot coment on the nearside tho..

Glad you was able to sort it and relay the news..

Ian.

mantianak
12th December 2006, 22:23
I had to take the bumper off to change a bulb too. Very annoying for something that should be so simple. For some reason the offside bulb changes fine every time but its the near side one that causes me problems.

It doesn't help that the metal clip that fell off isn't the same shape as described and pictured in the manual. The one in the manual has curved in hinges on the ends, mine doesn't. Anybody else noticed this?

baxlin
12th December 2006, 22:58
Admittedly mine's a Mk1 2002 75, diesel if that makes a difference, with ordinary halogens, but I changed all 4 bulbs for upgraded Osrams inside an hour, following the obstructions in the owner's handbook.

MGZTT190+
12th December 2006, 23:01
I will have a look at the nearside as soon as I can as I am a bit worried now! But that said is the bumper a quite easy job to remove?

Ian.

dom
13th December 2006, 12:03
I will have a look at the nearside as soon as I can as I am a bit worried now! But that said is the bumper a quite easy job to remove?

Ian.

You can actually do this without haveing to take your whole car apart. I can do it in about 25 minutes now, once you have got the hang of it (my mate always get me to do his as well), but i always end up with lacerations on the top of my hand. What you have to do is wedge your right hand in through the opening in the wheel arch and behind the air intake (i guess you have to have small hands). Then you have to use your left hand to offer the bulb and position it, took me ages first time though...

Someone had a great idea a little while ago, you can pay Halfords £5 to change a light bulb, and let them get the scuffed knuckles...

direstraits
13th December 2006, 12:27
Its even worse for me as I have two of the motors but I take mine into a nice man who does it for me.It costs but as the other chap says its worth it to avoid the scraped hands.
The pollen filters are not much better in my experience but at least they cant fall out the bottom and wire bits dont fly everywhere.

Steve C
13th December 2006, 13:48
Someone had a great idea a little while ago, you can pay Halfords £5 to change a light bulb, and let them get the scuffed knuckles...

That's exactly what I did last Sunday! O/S Dipped beam bulb went, and after reading some of these pages, and thinking that it sounded a ****** of a job to complete, I went into Halfords and asked for a quote. They showed be the bulb I needed, and quoted £4.99 for fitting it. 20 minutes later, and with the guys left hand lacerated as if he'd been attacked by a Pit-Bull, I paid for the job and set off on my merry way - clean, dry (it was hammering down with rain!), and all digits intact. :bigsmile:

JohnDotCom
13th December 2006, 14:23
That's exactly what I did last Sunday! O/S Dipped beam bulb went, and after reading some of these pages, and thinking that it sounded a ****** of a job to complete, I went into Halfords and asked for a quote. They showed be the bulb I needed, and quoted £4.99 for fitting it. 20 minutes later, and with the guys left hand lacerated as if he'd been attacked by a Pit-Bull, I paid for the job and set off on my merry way - clean, dry (it was hammering down with rain!), and all digits intact. :bigsmile:
Halfords are learning now, on Rover New Shape as they are now charging at "LLandduno" £24 for fitting due to previous problems and not being a straight forward job I was told.

Nick Hoare
13th December 2006, 16:28
I have changed both mine now on my facelift 75 and found them not to bad.
I think the pre-facelift is more difficult due to the metal clip.
On mine you just twist the holder 1/4 turn and you pull the holder out and then change the bulb from above with the bonnet open.
I must admit when I first tried (N/S) it did take over three hours and a shredded hand untill I realised there was no metal clip to remove. :twonk:

Rushy Racer
13th December 2006, 16:59
On mine you just twist the holder 1/4 turn and you pull the holder out and then change the bulb from above with the bonnet open.
I must admit when I first tried (N/S) it did take over three hours and a shredded hand untill I realised there was no metal clip to remove. :twonk:

I can't get my hand in there to twist it....anyway not that the bolts to the undertray are all nice and free I'll still go in that way ! And as for the o/s if that goes well moving the power steering res is a no no !!