PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning windows

BT@Home
29th January 2008, 08:42
I washed the car again at the weekend (last time was just 2 weeks ago, so I must be sick), and although the bodywork is beading nicely, and very little road grime has stuck, the windows appear to be holding onto all the muck that is thrown up and now they look awful again.

What are people using to keep the windows sparkling at the same level as the car itself?

Greeners
29th January 2008, 08:45
Auto Glym glass cleaner......although on warm / hot days it does dry quickly and leave a pale blue dust.......

dawkinsrover
29th January 2008, 10:07
I use AG glass cleaner too, best I have found so far, but yes, can be dusty to work with. AG also do 'fast glass' in a spray, that's good too and leaves NO dust....................

BT@Home
29th January 2008, 10:21
Are you using these inside and out?

GreyGhost
29th January 2008, 10:23
I find fast glass is excellent, although it takes a bit of polishing up with a clean cloth once it has dried. Inside and out.

dawkinsrover
29th January 2008, 10:31
Yes, use both products all round, inside and out, including inside of windscreen, but NOT on outside of windscreen..............not sure if it's advisable?

Greeners
29th January 2008, 14:51
I use AG on the windscreen, I also use a drop to clean the wiper blades too........

TimO
29th January 2008, 15:57
AG products do a sterling job but if you want super clean windows clay them first. ;)

davediamond
29th January 2008, 16:55
The products mentioned above are good but if you want a zero cost option I find that a damp cloth and newspaper do a very good job.

Wet the glass then dry off with the newspaper, cushdy.

Dave

robwijnstok
29th January 2008, 19:05
I clean my windows with Glassex inside and outside, I presume this is similar to the products in the replay's that the other members have mentioned. Once every 6 weeks I use Rain-X after cleaning on my outside windows, I think Halfords will have that in the UK.

With Rain-X you don't need your wipers any more if your speed is over 50km/h that is about 30m/h. When you drive faster than this, the rain will just roll to the top of you window. The more rain the better the view. I use it for more than two years now.

Rob.

MrBitsy
29th January 2008, 19:59
Use the Carlack Glass Sealant kit at ...

http://tinyurl.com/3apufo

Not only will rain bead off the windows so quick that you will not need to use the wipers as often, but dirt and grime is easy to remove with a rinse and wipe. It is FAR better than RainX.

It is a two step product - a glass cleaner and sealant. The cleaner is great and does not leave a powdery residue like autoglym.

robwijnstok
29th January 2008, 20:34
Use the Carlack Glass Sealant kit at ...

http://tinyurl.com/3apufo

Not only will rain bead off the windows so quick that you will not need to use the wipers as often, but dirt and grime is easy to remove with a rinse and wipe. It is FAR better than RainX.

It is a two step product - a glass cleaner and sealant. The cleaner is great and does not leave a powdery residue like autoglym.

Thanks Ray,

Just visited the website, already send them an email where to buy here in Holland. Perhaps they will also ship to us.

Thanks for the tip!

Rob.

Fleckers
29th January 2008, 21:12
mmm claning the car, I like it mud brown caused by my 3 times a week trip from welling in kent to Welwyn Garden City, Herts, no one seems to see it, maybe thats why morons mostly in bmw's keep pulling out on me....

i clean the windows then rain x them and the lights

gives a bit of a haze but its better then a dirt film

MrBitsy
29th January 2008, 21:50
I washed the car again at the weekend (last time was just 2 weeks ago, so I must be sick

You only wash your car every two weeks? :eek: Mine gets washed twice a week - more if weather bad! :D

I do realise I suffer from obsessive car disorder (OCD), but get the shakes if the car is not clean :innocent::D

BT@Home
29th January 2008, 22:11
maybe i can leave my two over by you for a weekk or two ;)

davediamond
29th January 2008, 23:25
I do realise I suffer from obsessive car disorder (OCD), but get the shakes if the car is not clean

Lol. I do mine twice a week if I can. SWMBO says I have OCD and the car gets more attention than her (not true) :shrug:

I wanted to build a Car Port on the driveway but she says its a waste of money, I tried to point out that she wouldn't like it if she had to sleep outside in the rain but I'm not having much luck with that argument :argue: :ignore:

Dave :driving:

GERFIX
30th January 2008, 07:42
Has anyone ever tried original Windolene cream or do you use it regulary? I remember using it years ago on one of my Capris as a temporary measure when the wiper motor gave up:o. The motor was at the back of the dashboard so replacing it wasn't an after work thing;).

Anyway, I do remember the Windolene being excellent in keeping the water off the screen - it simply would not stick:). I can't remember how long the Windolene was effective for mind you.

MrBitsy
30th January 2008, 08:08
maybe i can leave my two over by you for a weekk or two ;)

Yes, yes ,yes ... let me wash all your cars :cloud9:

<morning arrives>

Ray, wake up! :twonk:

nairda
30th January 2008, 10:16
Has anyone ever tried original Windolene cream or do you use it regulary? I remember using it years ago on one of my Capris as a temporary measure when the wiper motor gave up:o. The motor was at the back of the dashboard so replacing it wasn't an after work thing;).

Anyway, I do remember the Windolene being excellent in keeping the water off the screen - it simply would not stick:). I can't remember how long the Windolene was effective for mind you.

I still use it! I used it last weekend when I cleaned the car but only used it on the inside. I have used it on the outside and I like it as you can see where you've put it. Which makes it easy to remove! Only proviso is to be careful you don't get it on interior or exterior trim, (black especially). It will leave a white residue.

MrBitsy
30th January 2008, 13:01
Nairda - I meant to say what a fantastic colour that is for a Rover! I had one that colour park outside my house recently - just suits the classic Rover 75 shape!

nairda
30th January 2008, 13:36
Thanks for the compliment. I prefer the lighter colours on the 75s for some reason. Not that I have anything against any other colours, (I won't even go there regarding s****r!). Since owning the car, I've seen two others in the same colour locally. Perhaps a batch of them found their way down here?!

I like the Platinum Gold too. In fact, when I was searching for a 75, I spotted one advertised in Worcester. Fully loaded Conn SE, low mileage, in great nick. Unfortunately I procrastinated too much and missed out!

Apart from a few scratches, (there when I bought it), mine isn't too bad paint-wise. It looks gorgeous when fully clayed/SRP'd/EGP'd and waxed though..

trebor
30th January 2008, 21:14
i use AG fast glass and find it a superb product.

Using wet newspaper might seem strange to some, it is an old idea but very effective - dont knock it till you've tried it.

When i were a lad i used to help my brother in law wash his car and always did the windows with newspaper.

Chris Russell
31st January 2008, 20:06
Mr tight wod strikes again clean your windows as normal then just use the same polish you use on the rest of the car but take it off straight off before it dries it has the same affect as rain-x

tourerfogey
31st January 2008, 21:13
Cleaning Windows ?? Shouldn't this be in the PC Forum ?

MrBitsy
31st January 2008, 21:59
Cleaning Windows ?? Shouldn't this be in the PC Forum ?

I understand the boss of Apple has an office without windows.