PDA

View Full Version : Insurance questions

Commodore
13th December 2006, 14:46
Hello

It is insurance renewal time, and this will be the first time I have done an annual renewal on the 75 (having bought the car in August, I was mid-way through the policy on my Pub 106, so only had to pay an additional £60 to upgrade the cover) and my quote has just come in from my current insurer (Bell Direct, one of the many trading names of Admiral).

They have quoted me a total of £374.05 (lump sum payment), based on £60 compulsory + £100 voluntary excess, 6 years protected no claims, no convictions or points, no insurance claims ever, no personal accident cover, no hire car cover but with legal cover. ICE cover is £750, windscreen excess is £70. If I went for monthly installments, the total price is over £460.

Have been shopping around and the best deal I have found so far is MoreThan. they have quoted me £329.58 lump sum, or £349.35 in installments, based on a total excess of £200, with legal cover, and personal accident cover, £60 windscreen excess, includes hire car, includes personal accident cover.

Insurance is for me (I will be 30 when the policy commences) as the only driver, social use only, and doing around 5,000 miles a year. Car is parked on a drive way.

Anyone in a similar situation managed to get a better quote? If so - where from.

Cheers
Chris

Ken
13th December 2006, 14:53
Chris

Fair bit older but it may help

56 years old, full no claims, car garaged,

Bonus protected, fully comp, 8000 miles per year, legal cover

My renewal with the RAC was £246 so I changed to Hastings direct, you know the one 0800 00 1066 for £178 all in.

Ken

welly
13th December 2006, 15:06
Have you tried Tesco

They saved me £130 pounds this year over Hastings. You can adjust the excess online to find a balance that suits you.

I am unlucky to have one of the UK's worst postcodes (Oldham) even though we are a small town on the edge of the Saddleworth Moors.

CDT Conn SE Auto 43 years old, 5 years no claims and one SP50 speeder. £329 All in.

Nomis
13th December 2006, 15:07
Go through Quidco or similar and get cashback to reduce the price further. For instance I am 36 and my wife 30. We got our cdti fully comp with both insured with prudential for £249 one off payment with an offer at the time of free green flag breakdown. Quidco gives me another £100 cashback which is due on the 31st of this month. So a nice £149 for year with breakdown cover. I have 8 yrs no claims and the wife 6 years. It reduced the price by £40 by adding the wife to the policy though she rarely drives it. I do not like the two loves of my life meeting without me present;)

DJO
13th December 2006, 15:19
Hello

It is insurance renewal time, and this will be the first time I have done an annual renewal on the 75 (having bought the car in August, I was mid-way through the policy on my Pub 106, so only had to pay an additional £60 to upgrade the cover) and my quote has just come in from my current insurer (Bell Direct, one of the many trading names of Admiral).

I am in a similar position to you, first time insuring the ZT as I transferred the policy from my previous car (Rover 214Si).

My best quote do far is from Bell, coincidentally! But mine is about £586 something... I'm 32 but live in a not so brilliant area and park it on the street.

Not tried More Than yet, nor going direct to Bell (I used confused.com to ge the Bell quote).

I use www.moneysavingexpert.co.uk for advise with money, he has a few more car insurance links.

David

baxlin
13th December 2006, 15:22
CDT Conn SE Auto 43 years old

Does that come under Classic Car insurance?!

SCRI

Malcolm

BMC123
13th December 2006, 15:28
Here in Northern Ireland car insurance has been a bit of a rip off to say the least, but with both Tesco and direct line now quoting here, things have improved a heck of a lot, one example, my brothers insurance on his 1.1 fiesta was almost £400 with Zurich, and direct line did it on instalments for around £170 :eek: I'm on classic insurance myself, but the family 75 is due for renewal in February, so i shall be visiting a few web sites (seems to me if you do everything on line you get at least a 10% discount) best advice is shop around until you can't shop anymore :lol:

Commodore
13th December 2006, 15:28
Hi Guys

Right - Just tried Hastings, the best they came back with was £420. I've already done Tesco (theirs was £523.95) - not good as Tesco's insurance is basically a rebranded Direct Line policy. Also tried Sainsburys and Asda. All similarly bad.

RAC wanted £440 lump sum based on a £220 excess.

Zeb
13th December 2006, 15:45
Hi Guys

Right - Just tried Hastings, the best they came back with was £420. I've already done Tesco (theirs was £523.95) - not good as Tesco's insurance is basically a rebranded Direct Line policy. Also tried Sainsburys and Asda. All similarly bad.

RAC wanted £440 lump sum based on a £220 excess.

Try Confused.co.uk

welly
13th December 2006, 15:51
Does that come under Classic Car insurance?!

SCRI

Malcolm

:chat: Nice one.

Commodore
13th December 2006, 15:57
Try Confused.co.uk
That's where I got the MoreThan quote from. Just spoke to Barclays, they have offered to pricematch MoreThan, but not beat the quote.

Gryphon
13th December 2006, 16:03
Try Churchill £226 fully comp protected :D Payed out on a new rear bumper no probs no quibbles

Commodore
13th December 2006, 16:24
Try Churchill £226 fully comp protected :D Payed out on a new rear bumper no probs no quibbles
Churchill quoted £541.80 on a £250 excess. :(

direstraits
13th December 2006, 20:54
I think that they are taking the pipi and many off the bludgers are under the same banner anyway. It depends on the day of the month and time of the year. All the main players are upto some game or other and you pays yer money and take your choice. I am with the RAC for one and Mrs is with the PRU for the other and there is pennies in it. Its the treatment that you get when something goes wrong that is important not the premium you pay. Some companies are quick off the mark and others are so slow to respond that it makes me wonder why we pay for the service, if the voice is from the goodness gracious me then I am not interested.

MN190
13th December 2006, 20:56
Got a good deal from Budget including business use for upto 14000 miles per year for a Zt190+ protected no claims with off road parking for less than £350

JohnDotCom
13th December 2006, 21:25
Hi Chris, Now you have got to Insure that Repaired Beauty!
Try Cornhill direct, I could not believe the price (Good) after switching from Churchill on Renewal. Im paying £249 with No Claims Protection, £1000 ICE, Guaranteed Loan Car, Fully Comp of course. Excess only £100 all in. Mileage 15000 miles a year, On Drive (Have Garage but not for Cars!!) I am a bit older than you, and max no claims but still worth a go. They dont charge extra for Instalments either.

John

Commodore
14th December 2006, 00:36
Hi Chris, Now you have got to Insure that Repaired Beauty!
Try Cornhill direct, I could not believe the price (Good) after switching from Churchill on Renewal. Im paying £249
Just ran a quote through with them - £455.67 with a total excess of £250!!!
I wouldn't mind, but it is not as if I live in a part of London that's usually on fire or rioting.
I think at this rate the MoreThan quote is going to be my best bet. Still a tough one to swallow. I knew the Rover would be more expensive to insure than the Pug, but it has proved to be more than double in most cases.

JohnDotCom
14th December 2006, 08:34
Just ran a quote through with them - £455.67 with a total excess of £250!!!
I wouldn't mind, but it is not as if I live in a part of London that's usually on fire or rioting.
I think at this rate the MoreThan quote is going to be my best bet. Still a tough one to swallow. I knew the Rover would be more expensive to insure than the Pug, but it has proved to be more than double in most cases.
Sorry to hear that Quote Chris, Must be the Difference in Postcode & Age, but what a difference. See it does have some advantages by living in North wales, Where the Mountains Reach the Sea.

baxlin
14th December 2006, 08:57
Chris,

Just spoken to a broker friend, it's the postcode that does the most damage, apparently, quite a high rating.

Malcolm

direstraits
14th December 2006, 09:08
Where the Mountains Reach the Sea

And the police authority runs its budget on speeding tickets!

ROB
14th December 2006, 09:38
Got mine on confused.com with Peoples Choice who are just a trading brand of one of the big co's. £299 on a CDT conn SE, no accidents, about 10 years protected bonus, 15k miles a year and with one SP30 (3 points) and only a £100 vol excess. The post office were cheaper by a few quid but they wanted a stupid £250 vol excess! It would have been a lot more but having the wife on the policy brought it down quite a bit.

sean75
14th December 2006, 16:50
Have you tried elephant.co.uk? they halved my renewal quote from Zurich(£680!!).36, 2yrs ncb( even though I have been on my wife's policy as a named driver for 11yrs), car in garage, no commuting £150 xs.I hate insurance it seems so subjective:mad:

JP53
14th December 2006, 17:40
Have you tried elephant.co.uk? they halved my renewal quote from Zurich(£680!!).36, 2yrs ncb( even though I have been on my wife's policy as a named driver for 11yrs), car in garage, no commuting £150 xs.I hate insurance it seems so subjective:mad:

It is. I remember insuring my MGC GT. It was worth about £10000 at the time. The brakes and handeling were interesting at best, ishe did 0-60 in 8 seconds and would top 130 mph. A classic car policy that would not allow my no claims (because it was on my Rover 820's policy) cost £65.
The Rover 820 worth £2500 0-60 9.8 seconds top speed 120 mph, great brakes and good road manners cost with 65% off £300!!!!!!!

Commodore
14th December 2006, 18:31
Just spoken to a broker friend, it's the postcode that does the most damage, apparently, quite a high rating.
Which surprises me. Like I said, this area is not exactly a warzone, and the insurance on my boy-racer Pug (for the same address) was pennies.

Anyway - looks like I am going to go with MoreThan. Still have not been able to beat the price they offered and I can't think of anyone else to try.

Nomis
14th December 2006, 18:39
Which surprises me. Like I said, this area is not exactly a warzone, and the insurance on my boy-racer Pug (for the same address) was pennies.

Anyway - looks like I am going to go with MoreThan. Still have not been able to beat the price they offered and I can't think of anyone else to try.

Not a massive difference but join Quidco for £40 cashback off the price (£35 after the £5 yearly admin charge deducted)

Lloyds tsb and others are offering much higher cashbacks too. They are not normally the cheapest but worth getting a quote direct from their website and see if cheaper after the £120 cashback is obtained.

My dads insurance cheapest quote was £108 for a c3 but Lloyds tsb was £162 but got £120 cashback with topcashback making a nice £42 for the year!

Between Quidco, topcashback and Rpoints I have had a total of £650 cashback on online purchaces of goods and insurance which I would have got online anyway. That's in the last twelve months too.

Simon.

tourerfogey
14th December 2006, 18:45
For really really really cheap insurance I've been told that

www.don'tbotherfilingaclaim.com can't be beaten

Nomis
14th December 2006, 18:48
For really really really cheap insurance I've been told that

www.don'tbotherfilingaclaim.com can't be beaten

:clap: I like it.