PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Product Thread?

carlpenn
30th January 2008, 15:35
Should we have a Thread purely for recommending products?

We could put pro's and cons in there as well as where to buy/price and then if anyone wants to know anything about a particular type of cleaning for their car, there is a sort of reference library?

Just a thought :)

Raistlin
30th January 2008, 15:38
I've seen it used before to great effect.

In my opinion it HAS to be purely for recommendations though.

nairda
30th January 2008, 16:02
I've seen it used before to great effect.

In my opinion it HAS to be purely for recommendations though.

Totally agree. Otherwise this could end up as a "this is better than that" slanging match..

Chris Russell
31st January 2008, 16:16
Well as the first one to post here goes. I use some polish from Beavers Auto's in Shafton Barnsley it cost £12 for 5litres not too good at miner scratches but gives the car one hell of a shine

MrBitsy
31st January 2008, 22:00
Well as the first one to post here goes. I use some polish from Beavers Auto's in Shafton Barnsley it cost £12 for 5litres not too good at miner scratches but gives the car one hell of a shine

What do you use to protect the shine?

JohnDotCom
31st January 2008, 22:07
.....and there Basically is one of the Problems,
Thread always gets Messy quickly with Questions and answers re Product use.
A Very helpful idea and thread but I think you see what I mean?

No Offence to anyone asking Questions by the way thats what we are here for,
was just trying to show other than a Excel or Database you wouldn't find things easily IMHO.

Chris Russell
1st February 2008, 10:34
nothing it stays that way for weeks you saw my car at the meet and it had not been polished for a couple of weeks and only sprayed with jet wash that morning

Jamie
1st February 2008, 11:50
Should we have a Thread purely for recommending products?

We could put pro's and cons in there as well as where to buy/price and then if anyone wants to know anything about a particular type of cleaning for their car, there is a sort of reference library?

Just a thought :)

Good idea....but just hold your horses for a while....this might tie in with any prospective move to protect parts supplies...Lets put all the good ideas together and see how we can use them?

Rather than have posts, what about a simple Exel spreadsheet list that we just add to? with contact numbers, that way it cant get messy?

edit...JDC with his lightning fingers gets there first!

carlpenn
1st February 2008, 19:26
Good idea....but just hold your horses for a while....this might tie in with any prospective move to protect parts supplies...Lets put all the good ideas together and see how we can use them?

Rather than have posts, what about a simple Exel spreadsheet list that we just add to? with contact numbers, that way it cant get messy?

edit...JDC with his lightning fingers gets there first!

I will gladly produce a Spreadsheet if thats a way you want to go.

The idea behind the Recommend a product thread was basically just to have people post their favourite products and why they are their favourites.

i.e For me,

Auto Glym Super Resin Polish

found in most car shops, fair priced £8:99 per litre

etc etc.

I see JDC's comment on teh Thread being messy though, shame really.

JohnDotCom
1st February 2008, 20:02
I see JDC's comment on teh Thread being messy though, shame really.

Carl, It is not a Criticism in any way, don't take it wrong at all, its just a Recommended list would be easier to navigate than recommendations then lots of questions and answers possibly loosing the New Recommendations in the Thread, is all I meant.
Sorry if this was Misunderstood in any way and by all means keep posting as is if you are happy with that. :lol:

carlpenn
1st February 2008, 20:08
Carl, It is not a Criticism in any way, don't take it wrong at all, its just a Recommended list would be easier to navigate than recommendations then lots of questions and answers possibly loosing the New Recommendations in the Thread, is all I meant.
Sorry if this was Misunderstood in any way and by all means keep posting as is if you are happy with that. :lol:

JDC, I didnt take it as criticism :)

What it meant to read was that I could see what you meant by teh threads getting messy and it was a shame.

However, as you and Jamie suggested an Excel Spreadsheet or Database would be a good way to go - I am up for that and dont mind lending my time to do this for the Members - I am sad like that and enjoy playing with Excel !! In fact I was going to ask Rimmers for permission to list their parts with Prices on a Spreadsheet for teh Club, to make it easier to look up prices as their Catalogue is a bit awkward having Prices seperate to the parts..........:)

GreyGhost
1st February 2008, 21:23
An alternative way of collating this data would be to have one list at the top of the thread which can be updated as new items appear on the thread, that way although the thread becomes cumbersome, searching is just via the find function on your browser on page 1 of the thread. This allows info banter and swapping of stories about products without interfering with the definitive list.
We know this works as the door handle finisher list is run in just that manner. 544 posts and one definitive list at the top.
The only minor issue is that only mods and admins and the owner of the list post can update it, I have no problem with that.

JohnDotCom
1st February 2008, 21:25
I would also assist there and have no problem GG.

Simon
1st February 2008, 22:08
Not forgetting me ;) I too can assist in any list updates etc as need be.