PDA

View Full Version : Might have to scrap poss HGF

roversean
28th June 2013, 16:59
:(Am replacing the IMG to see if that cures the water loss and the starting problems I had this week,had plenty of white smoke coming out of exhaust for about 10 mins then runs fine.eml light now on.If the new img doesn't solve the problem then no way is the wife going to let me pay to get it repaired as we had the HG replaced 2 years ago already,if this is the case the car might have to be sold.Fingers crossed.:(See my post on the technical problems page

jonathan63
28th June 2013, 19:15
Have you considered this stuff?
http://www.steelseal.co.uk/

Dont know if it works. Just noticed it as a factors today and took a note for the forum.

dissy1810
28th June 2013, 19:27
Have you considered this stuff?
http://www.steelseal.co.uk/

Dont know if it works. Just noticed it as a factors today and took a note for the forum.

Don't use that stuff unless you are desperate and want to usr your car while you get a new engine, that's what I did while I rebuilt a replacement engine for my car, it did work for a while but it also blocked the heater matrix, all of those additives are only a temporary fix and will end up costing more in the long run

Seafrost
28th June 2013, 19:44
No disrespect dissy1810, but how did the steelseal block the heater matrix? it is nothing like the older metallic flake stuff, its purely a liquid, than turns to a dust when it meets air/oxygen, still contained with the fluids it will remain just that fluid.

Its been in mine now for sometime, did its job and no ill effects in that time. For those who simply cannot afford or justify an engine stripdown, it might just be what keeps them mobile and another 75 on the road for a while. Im not suggesting the OP does that, his car to do with as he pleases, but have yet to see any "photo" evidence on the web of steelseal causing problems, none that could not be down to the state of the engine and cooling system prior to its use, which is why after all people are using it, they have a prior fault/cause.

Im lucky at present living back in Wales with soft water to mix with my coolant, but when living in Thanet found the hard water played havoc with all my cooling systems, ( even household kettle ) so used bottled water. This never gets a mention as to why some rads etc block up, they rust from the hard water, My Sierra did, my two renaults did as did my wedge's rad.
The earlier K seal however kept my Sierra auto running long enough, few months or so until I could source a replacement auto radiator, which were as rare as hens teeth back then, yes it left a mess in the cooling system but did NOT block anything it should not have, despite even then "some garages" warning not to use it, a back flush of the cooling system and the car ran for a few years with the replacement rad trouble free.
I have no worries using any chemical/supposed snake oil that can save an engine, most of the other fluids we use on our cars are chemicals with allsorts of side effects but we still use them, including OAT which is known to rot Silicone gaskets, or I should say in my experience twice now, Harden them until they become brittle and break causing leaks.

Ratty
28th June 2013, 20:00
No disrespect dissy1810, but how did the steelseal block the heater matrix? it is nothing like the older metallic flake stuff, its purely a liquid, than turns to a dust when it meets air/oxygen, still contained with the fluids it will remain just that fluid.

Its been in mine now for sometime, did its job and no ill effects in that time. For those who simply cannot afford or justify an engine stripdown, it might just be what keeps them mobile and another 75 on the road for a while. Im not suggesting the OP does that, his car to do with as he pleases, but have yet to see any "photo" evidence on the web of steelseal causing problems, none that could not be down to the state of the engine and cooling system prior to its use, which is why after all people are using it, they have a prior fault/cause.

Im lucky at present living back in Wales with soft water to mix with my coolant, but when living in Thanet found the hard water played havoc with all my cooling systems, ( even household kettle ) so used bottled water. This never gets a mention as to why some rads etc block up, they rust from the hard water, My Sierra did, my two renaults did as did my wedge's rad.
The earlier K seal however kept my Sierra auto running long enough, few months or so until I could source a replacement auto radiator, which were as rare as hens teeth back then, yes it left a mess in the cooling system but did NOT block anything it should not have, despite even then "some garages" warning not to use it, a back flush of the cooling system and the car ran for a few years with the replacement rad trouble free.
I have no worries using any chemical/supposed snake oil that can save an engine, most of the other fluids we use on our cars are chemicals with allsorts of side effects but we still use them, including OAT which is known to rot Silicone gaskets, or I should say in my experience twice now, Harden them until they become brittle and break causing leaks.

I agree a mate of mine used steelseal 18 months ago car still running fine no problems.

Moonshine Mark
28th June 2013, 20:07
If it is HGF, whether you try Steel Seal or get the Head Gasket replaced, I would look at the cost of repairing the car compared to scrapping it and replacing it with something else.

Talago
28th June 2013, 20:11
:(Am replacing the IMG to see if that cures the water loss and the starting problems I had this week,had plenty of white smoke coming out of exhaust for about 10 mins then runs fine.eml light now on.If the new img doesn't solve the problem then no way is the wife going to let me pay to get it repaired as we had the HG replaced 2 years ago already,if this is the case the car might have to be sold.Fingers crossed.:(See my post on the technical problems page

Had all the same symptoms on my wife's 45 1.4 a few weeks ago. You wouldn't have believed the amount of white smoke (steam?) out of the exhaust. IMG costing £8.00 for the good one cured it. Her car was leaving a wet stain on the drive as well. Is yours?

Gman2
29th June 2013, 09:24
Difficult one and only you know what state your personal finances are in but I'm with TYM on this. With the way prices are for R75 / ZT's you'll never sell it with suspected HGF imho. Looking at your tech post it may well be HGF and just because you had the HG done two years ago is no guarantee it's fixed forever - who did it and what did they do? Have you got a trusted garage in Plymouth who could fit the MLS gasket and flush out the system? If not then contact one of the MGR mobile mechanics and I'm sure they'll sort it out. If I were you though I wouldn't be running the car but not sure if your circumstances allow that?

Yeti
29th June 2013, 09:28
I hope you can get it all sorted out, as that would mean one more saved. But if you are determined to get rid of it, give Seancar a ring first

Platemaker
29th June 2013, 10:34
Don't forget to have a good look at the manifold too.

They do warp and no amount of gaskets will sort the problem if it has.

Try a aluminium one as fitted to VVC engined Rovers.

lexey5900
29th June 2013, 10:41
i used K SEAL about 3 years ago and did about 35000 miles but eventually it gave up in may this year managed to acquire a replacement engine form 247 breakers online for £294 delivered with 3 months unlimited mileage

good luck with yours

roversean
29th June 2013, 19:31
popped in to my local garage this morning and they have confirmed head gasket oil in water and oil on the spark plugs and mayo in the camcover.However the eml light has now gone off the car is running fine no smoke or rough running and according to the onboard temp display it stayed at a steady 95 to 98 degs all the time I did have to top it up this morning with water will see what it is like in the morning.
We spent the day looking at new cars as she says now is an excuse to get a newer more economical and smaller car as she doesn't trust it anymore.I may know some one who can change the head gasket with me helping him as long as a reconditioned head is not too expensive as the old one has been skimmed already,am waiting to hear, she says that might be alright as at least we could sell it more easily then.However I might suggest that we keep it then I can use that and she can have the new car

Steve916
29th June 2013, 19:31
£275 to get the head gasket, water pump and tensioner changed. Not worth scrapping it for that:shrug:

roversean
29th June 2013, 19:41
Where was that? cost me £500 last time