PDA

View Full Version : interior door handle surround

squire
28th June 2013, 18:44
I'm after a driver's side interior handle chrome surround. The plastic lugs have decided to break off so it fell in the door pocket. Don't really want to glue in, might have problems when I need to take door card off. Thanks:mad:

pab
28th June 2013, 18:48
Remove the handle and literally melt the lugs over with a soldering iron, no need for glue.

Thomas
28th June 2013, 19:46
Moved to items wanted

neilbaker86
28th June 2013, 19:50
Remove the handle and literally melt the lugs over with a soldering iron, no need for glue.

Agreed. This is a lasting repair, and what MG-Rover did in the end.

squire
28th June 2013, 20:06
I'm after a driver's side interior handle chrome surround. The plastic lugs have decided to break off so it fell in the door pocket. Don't really want to glue in, might have problems when I need to take door card off. Thanks:mad:

Thanks for the replies guys, will try that, but it looks like all the lugs have broken off, hope there's enough to melt over.

Arctic
28th June 2013, 21:31
Thanks for the replies guys, will try that, but it looks like all the lugs have broken off, hope there's enough to melt over.

There will be and if not use a plastic staw and melt that and let it drip onti the lug this holds great, i have been doing this now for ages and always take several to the meets so mebers can just swap them over and i melt the other back when i get time at home.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24315&d=1372454995

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24316&d=1372455018
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24317&d=1372455042

Dragrad
29th June 2013, 00:55
This thread has moved in context to a technical question, so now in appropriate forum ;)

carguy143
29th June 2013, 10:12
Wouldn't a small amount if silicone sealant be good here, too? It can be peeled off if needed.

squire
29th June 2013, 11:42

More great advice. Many thanks to Artic and Carguy, will try either of those when I get round to it, bodged in with blue tack at the moment. Didn't realise that it has no need to come off when removing door card.
Still keep meaning to contact you Artic about plenum spy hole, spoke to you at May nano meet when you were doing handbrake compensators, been very busy lately and bad memory!!
ATB guys and thanks again for the advice, shows how good this club is, let's keep it like it.
Cheers, Squire.

Arctic
29th June 2013, 11:53
More great advice. Many thanks to Artic and Carguy, will try either of those when I get round to it, bodged in with blue tack at the moment. Didn't realise that it has no need to come off when removing door card.
Still keep meaning to contact you Artic about plenum spy hole, spoke to you at May nano meet when you were doing handbrake compensators, been very busy lately and bad memory!!
ATB guys and thanks again for the advice, shows how good this club is, let's keep it like it.
Cheers, Squire.

Hi Martyn.
If you can make the meet next weekend 6th 7th nano at Four Ashes you can get one already fixed or even a new one out of the nano lucky bag for FOC also there will be 10 plenum trays ready to swap with the rubber bungs FOC cheers Arctic ;)

squire
29th June 2013, 12:05
Hi Martyn.
If you can make the meet next weekend 6th 7th nano at Four Ashes you can get one already fixed or even a new one out of the nano lucky bag for FOC also there will be 10 plenum trays ready to swap with the rubber bungs FOC cheers Arctic ;)

Hi Artic, sadly I will be setting off on holiday with the Rover, caravan and one off our Moggy Travellers, so won't be able to make it, glad to get away but disappointed not to get to the meet again.
See you at the September meet hopefully!
Regards, Martyn.:(

carguy143
29th June 2013, 16:22
Let us know how you get on with the door handle trim and what solution you used. :)

Rik.

squire
29th June 2013, 16:32
:Let us know how you get on with the door handle trim and what solution you used. :)

Rik.
Will do Rik, Don't know when I'll get round to it, knowing me not until I get fed up with it falling off. At the moment blue tack seems to be working. Think the car is getting to an age when bits drop off!! The surround round the lock button has now shed it's locking clips, out with the blue tack again!!
Regards,
Martyn
:confused:

carguy143
29th June 2013, 16:39
:
Will do Rik, Don't know when I'll get round to it, knowing me not until I get fed up with it falling off. At the moment blue tack seems to be working. Think the car is getting to an age when bits drop off!! The surround round the lock button has now shed it's locking clips, out with the blue tack again!!
Regards,
Martyn
:confused:

I forgot to mention that when my handle surround fell off i just carefully applied some silicone to the lug holes and pushed the handle surround back on without the need of actually removing the doorcard. It's been fine since.

squire
29th June 2013, 16:48
I forgot to mention that when my handle surround fell off i just carefully applied some silicone to the lug holes and pushed the handle surround back on without the need of actually removing the doorcard. It's been fine since.

;)
That may well be the easiest way to go, will probably try that first, if that doesn't work will try arctics way.
Thanks
Martyn

hogweed
1st July 2013, 10:43
I've just hot-welded (ie glue gun) mine for the 4th time. Lasts about 3 months. Next time I'll look at the soldering iron melting trick, but as all the lugs have actually broken off, it may not be possible :shrug:

Dorset Bob
1st July 2013, 10:49
I just cut some 3M double sided tape into thin strips and used that.
Less messy than glue or silicone and I can pull it off if I need to. ;)

Mine has been fine since then :}

hogweed
1st July 2013, 11:03
I just cut some 3M double sided tape into thin strips and used that.
Less messy than glue or silicone and I can pull it off if I need to. ;)

Mine has been fine since then :}

Hhmmm… in that case mine must be exerting leverage in the wrong place or something, because when I weld them together, it’s really solid – however, 3 or 4 months later, it just starts to come loose. Whatever is making that happen would make short work of double-sided tape :shrug: