PDA

View Full Version : What's This?

Simon W
13th December 2006, 22:41
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20BHP-MOD-ROVER-100-200-400-25-45-75-600-800-MINI-MGF_W0QQitemZ300058294589QQihZ020QQcategoryZ32094Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How does this work (if it does)?

Simon
13th December 2006, 22:49
Er. It doesn't. :rofl:

I think it's one of those 'pretend' mods.

The resistor is there to restrict the ECU detecting the voltage from one of the engine sensors. By doing this, the engine thinks it's getting less fuel (or whatever it senses) than it is actually happening. It therefore increases the fuel mix accordingly. However, as you already have the correct fuel/air mix just adding more simply makes a slightly bigger noise and increases your fuel consumption.

Avoid these mods. They will do more harm than good.

dom
15th December 2006, 12:12
I was tricked into one two or three years ago, it conisited of a 9p resistor glued into a black plastic box, which is wired into the AFM somehow (i think) which tricks it into thinking the incoming air is actually colder than it is...

tourerfogey
15th December 2006, 12:32
Basically it fools the ecu into thinking that the engine is colder than it is therefore making the engine run richer. This can mess up your emmisions and in extreme cases can also result in unburnt fuel seeping past the piston rings which will remove some of the oil from the cylinder walls hence increasing the chances of wear

So,

A) Do you want to buy one ?

or

B) Do you not want to buy one ?

Answers on a postcard to.........

JP53
15th December 2006, 21:32
Basically it fools the ecu into thinking that the engine is colder than it is therefore making the engine run richer. This can mess up your emmisions and in extreme cases can also result in unburnt fuel seeping past the piston rings which will remove some of the oil from the cylinder walls hence increasing the chances of wear

So,

A) Do you want to buy one ?

or

B) Do you not want to buy one ?

Answers on a postcard to.........

Damn, these multi choice questions always confuse me :D

Mike
15th December 2006, 21:41

:rofl: .....................

Simon
15th December 2006, 22:08

As a clue, John, the answer is not the first one.... ;)