PDA

View Full Version : OE or aftermarket?

mick160
5th July 2013, 20:29
Hi all,

Just wondering what the general consensus is about OE or aftermarket parts as there can be a hefty difference in price. I am specifically thinking about timing belt kits/water pumps etc.

Any supplier recommendations for cheaper OE parts or good quality aftermarket parts?

MrDoodles
5th July 2013, 20:56
I'm afraid it would be OE for me! :)

rovexCDTi
5th July 2013, 21:05
I dont think you can go too far wrong with aftermarket filters, exhausts and belts, but some parts, notably suspension parts, seem to be OE only if you want them to last any length of time.

Personally ive never had an aftermarket filter, exhaust or belt give an issue, others may disagree.

marinabrian
5th July 2013, 21:40
Fit a Gates belt kit, and you are fitting OE ;)
Brian :D

neilbaker86
6th July 2013, 00:24
Personally ive never had an aftermarket filter, exhaust or belt give an issue, others may disagree.

The original exhausts are generally of a much better quality than most aftermarket items I've seen, they're double skinned for a start. However, given the cost of an original you could probably fit a copy several times over and still be quids in.

Mike Noc
6th July 2013, 07:35
When it comes to springs I think there are better quality aftermarket ones available than the OEM ones my car came with.

Generally with spare parts it's all about quality verses price. Many cheap aftermarket parts that contain rubber just don't last and are false economy.

mh007
6th July 2013, 10:13
I've never had issues with aftermarket parts.

I agree with Mike Noc on the springs & also agree with marinabrian on the timing belt kit, although I also use Continental kits.

Exhausts have always been a bit of an issue & aftermarket ones will never last as long as the OE system.

There is a vast difference in price & if your after longevity, stainless steel is the way to go.

Weso
6th July 2013, 10:21
Gates belts for me, several recommendations from those in trade
Happy with Pagid brakes at ECP prices
MGR filters for air,oil,pollen etc but at eBay discounted prices when available
Water pump would get recommendations on here 1st some brands are best avoided, cannot remember which
Mark

stevenicks
6th July 2013, 13:29
OE, except when it comes to buying a replacement HG.

marinabrian
6th July 2013, 18:13
OE, except when it comes to buying a replacement HG.

Ok then for OE you require Payen ;)
Brian :D

mick160
6th July 2013, 19:35
Ta for all your input,

I'll have a shop around and weigh up what's best to buy for the money.

Whats brought this up is i have a slight coolant leak which at first look seems like its coming externally from the HG at the front left hand corner (looking from the front of the car). I know it can run down from the inlet manifold to here but it is dry as a bone under the inlet manifold so I don't think it's that. I am going to try and do a pressure test to confirm where the leak is but I suspect it's external head gasket failure. :(

There are receipts for a gasket change from before I got the car but no indication of whether mls gasket was fitted. I am interested to strip it down and find out :shrug:

marinabrian
6th July 2013, 23:38
Ta for all your input,

I'll have a shop around and weigh up what's best to buy for the money.

Whats brought this up is i have a slight coolant leak which at first look seems like its coming externally from the HG at the front left hand corner (looking from the front of the car). I know it can run down from the inlet manifold to here but it is dry as a bone under the inlet manifold so I don't think it's that. I am going to try and do a pressure test to confirm where the leak is but I suspect it's external head gasket failure. :(

There are receipts for a gasket change from before I got the car but no indication of whether mls gasket was fitted. I am interested to strip it down and find out :shrug:

It's easy enough to tell which gasket is fitted Mick, pop over to mine and I'll tell you how ;)
Brian :cool:

mick160
7th July 2013, 11:59
Cheers Brian.

I may well pop over one night this week :)