PDA

View Full Version : Last mini out of Longbridge

oldcarguy
29th July 2013, 07:17
The last mini out of Longbridge just sold at auction, it was rescued from the tunnels before they filled them in. It was a clubman 1275 GT and was used to run around the plant until it was damaged and abandoned. I cant imagine it was in very good condition from what I remember of the photo's on various sites.

ProfDave
29th July 2013, 07:19
The last mini out of Longbridge just sold at auction, it was rescued from the tunnels before they filled them in. It was a clubman 1275 GT and was used to run around the plant until it was damaged and abandoned. I cant imagine it was in very good condition from what I remember of the photo's on various sites.

understood 'last out of' now; saw these pics yes when the plant closed; atmospheric but looked like a mega project........

Lost Soul
29th July 2013, 08:25
Was reading on the news that the 'shell' made £1,000 at auction.

philjudo
29th July 2013, 10:08
I just put a link on for a mini (None runner) made £31000 at auction 1966 Mini cooper. Link went to newspaper front page.

ProfDave
29th July 2013, 10:12

pretty amazing

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b602/ProfDave4/u10xy8_zpsdeae0032.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/ProfDave4/media/u10xy8_zpsdeae0032.jpg.html)

ProfDave
29th July 2013, 10:13
I just put a link on for a mini (None runner) made £31000 at auction 1966 Mini cooper. Link went to newspaper front page.

saw this too!! Might need to up the agreed valuation on my MKI!!

In reality this one was daft! You can buy a 1071S with some rally heritage for under 20k so I think someone got carried away!!

chipsceola
29th July 2013, 10:59
This one sold (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23482725), as is without engine or gearbox for £1400.00 at Silverstone

Howie666
29th July 2013, 11:49
It looks very dented. Still, I'm sure most of it will knock out...

Organiser
29th July 2013, 12:10
It looks very dented. Still, I'm sure most of it will knock out...

It will buff out fairly easily.............:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:getmecoat:

Tom.

sworks
29th July 2013, 17:48
I haven't heard who bought this yet. There were hopes that it might go to a Longbridge museum or even Gaydon. I think the owner was hoping for it to raise considerably more

oldcarguy
29th July 2013, 19:07
I'm not sure about the legalities of it, Who actually owns it, SAIC?. I doubt the ex employee has a legal claim to it. Has it ever been registered seeing as it only ran in the plant.:shrug:

sworks
29th July 2013, 21:10
I believe MG UK gave permission for it to be removed

MrDoodles
29th July 2013, 21:38
So £1,000 for £100 worth of scrap Mini shell without a single straight panel on it and no documents! :confused:

Sorry, just don't get it! :confused:

AURORA MG
29th July 2013, 21:55
The herritage value I guess.

sworks
29th July 2013, 22:09
The car was allegedly a pool car around the site but a container fell on it where it apparently was hidden in the tunnels where over the years bits were removed from it. When MGR closed it was rediscovered by photographers and picture appeared on line via the urbex sites. Worth every penny IMHO last classic mini to leave Longbridge. Just hope it ends up at Gaydon

ProfDave
29th July 2013, 22:11
The car was allegedly a pool car around the site but a container fell on it where it apparently was hidden in the tunnels where over the years bits were removed from it. When MGR closed it was rediscovered by photographers and picture appeared on line via the urbex sites. Worth every penny IMHO last classic mini to leave Longbridge. Just hope it ends up at Gaydon

here here to that; lots of interesting things though seem to be slipping like sand through our fingers

AURORA MG
29th July 2013, 22:18
I love that bit - A container fell on it :getmecoat:, could only be from BL days lol & I mean that in a nice way - just sounds the normal routine but if tat happened nowdays all hell would break loose.
I would love to know more history of Longbridge.

I wonder if it was a container of Mini roof panels?

coab
30th July 2013, 09:53
"It was the last ever Mini to leave Longbridge mate". Its had a new roof, doors, wings, rear panels, boot, glass, interior, engine wheels but well worth it as it was the last one. So the floor panel (if it hasn't rusted away) was the last Mini floor panel to leave Longbridge!:frightened:

TriumphStag
30th July 2013, 09:56
Yes, but if you look at the picture, it comes with an original battery!

topman
30th July 2013, 09:58
So £1,000 for £100 worth of scrap Mini shell without a single straight panel on it and no documents! :confused:

In fairness if you can afford to bring that upto something like driveable, an extra £900 is nothing.

coab
30th July 2013, 10:06
Hope he heard it running before he bought it!:D

sworks
30th July 2013, 17:41
It should never be repaired, just left as is :)

MrDoodles
30th July 2013, 19:57
It should never be repaired, just left as is :)

What's there to repair? :shrug:

As a shell, it's needs re-shelling! :banghead:

sworks
30th July 2013, 20:28
The previous owner looked into getting it repaired, the roof was completely crushed down into a V shape but has been straightened. The car doesn't still look as it does in the photo in this thread. The body shop in question believed it to be repairable

coab
30th July 2013, 20:36
Jesus I hope he doesnt take any kids out in that car if the body shop say its repairable.
Thats just a Cat A or B at best. Nostalgia aside that is scrap looking at members cars on here with side damage are condemned to the crusher. But its ok its a Mini we all love Minis!:shrug:

sworks
30th July 2013, 20:44
I don't think it was ever going to be rebuilt as a daily driver, as I posted earlier, I think it should be left as is and on display either at Gaydon or a Longbridge museum

FrazzleTC
30th July 2013, 21:13
I think it'd be a shame to make it into yet another immaculate Mini. It should be left as found, dents and all, because it's a fascinating piece of history. I'll never understand this obsession with restoring all old cars to a new standard.

ProfDave
31st July 2013, 00:15
I don't think it was ever going to be rebuilt as a daily driver, as I posted earlier, I think it should be left as is and on display either at Gaydon or a Longbridge museum

yes indeed infront of that atmospheric pic of it in the tunnel

mininuts
31st July 2013, 00:20
Agree :D

Saw this at Mini Fair in January and it was great to see in the flesh. I believe the owner was to donate proceeds from the sale to a charity? :shrug: Hence the no reserve auction.

Be a shame to rebuild it, personally I think it has been spoiled by the attempt to straighten it.

kaiser
31st July 2013, 05:51

It seems a wonder to me that any cars, of any quality pretenses whatsoever, could be manufactured in such an atmosphere.
It appears to me the plant was badly administered, badly looked after and badly staffed.
Remember some TV program where a tattooed, be-studded employee was interviewed. I think that damaged some perceptions as well, it certainly made an impression on me.
It must have been so depressing and demoralizing.

kaiser
31st July 2013, 05:59
As for the car being rebuilt. I doubt it. It would involve so many new panels, that anything left would be the numbers.
But it is a good story for a better price, I guess.

But anything is possible, if you set your heart on it.
I have just visited a friend of mine, who has built a Ferrari 250P. All in aluminium, and each panel crafted by hand. And the quality is superb! Better than what would have come from the factory originally.
He started with an engine and a chassis, and a model car for shape. Can you believe that! But it is true.

GT Courier
31st July 2013, 06:02

Really? You don't get it, I suppose there are much better built and more reliable cars to be had for that sort of money:twonk: :laughing2:

Did you look it up in your Parkers guide?!

Does not compute...:alien:

MrDoodles
31st July 2013, 07:44
Really? You don't get it, I suppose there are much better built and more reliable cars to be had for that sort of money:twonk: :laughing2:

Did you look it up in your Parkers guide?!

Does not compute...:alien:

I think you're confusing me with Christian...........

GT Courier
31st July 2013, 07:46
I think you're confusing me with Christian...........

Probably LOL!

neilb740
31st July 2013, 12:02
"It was the last ever Mini to leave Longbridge mate". Its had a new roof, doors, wings, rear panels, boot, glass, interior, engine wheels but well worth it as it was the last one. So the floor panel (if it hasn't rusted away) was the last Mini floor panel to leave Longbridge!:frightened:

LOL, its Triggers Broom

MrDoodles
31st July 2013, 12:15
LOL, its Triggers Broom

Trigger: "And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."

Sid: "How the hell can it be the same ****** broom then?"

Trigger: "There's the picture. What more proof do you need?"

Lol!