PDA

View Full Version : Rear light seal leak.

Nev The Bear
29th July 2013, 22:56
I discovered a water leak in the boot of my 75 today, which the heavy rain has caused.

I managed to trace the leak to the offside rear light seal, on pulling back the boot carpet covering the light units as there was still water underneath the light unit and on the inside of the boot carpet.

It looks like there was previously a problem with both seals, as you can see in the picture of the near side seal someone has previously applied silicone to the seal, both where there is a break in the seal and around the edge of the seal which had been done to both the near side and offside seal.

I have removed both light units and applied a polymer weather proof sealant to the the edge of both seals and where there is the break in the seals and I have refitted both light units in the hope this will stop the leak and any further leaks developing.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/NevTheBear3/20130729_210137_zps17b37cac.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/NevTheBear3/media/20130729_210137_zps17b37cac.jpg.html)

Dansrockin
29th July 2013, 23:12
I had this on my last 75. I used some superglue to join the two ends back together. Did the job though!
I've got a feeling I need to do this to my current car too, I noticed a small wet patch in the boot the other day after all the rain, I just need to track the leak down!

Reebs
29th July 2013, 23:22
Get yourself a set of these from Jeremy, they'll sort the problem out in no time :cool:

:smilie_re: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=142690

Dorset Bob
29th July 2013, 23:35
:iagree: It saves messing around with sealants and glue. ;)

Ros3
29th July 2013, 23:40
Simply superglue the ends together and swap both seals over. Works a treat and costs nothing. :)

stevestrat
30th July 2013, 08:00
Yep, take the seals off, wash them in warm soapy water, rinse and dry. Superglue the ends together, light smear of sealant on the faces then refit them to the opposite side they came off, i.e. reverse them. Did that three years ago and still watertight.

Grumpy1
30th July 2013, 09:49
One of the most common problems on these lovely cars of ours. I did the cleaning/glueing/swapping sides thing but the nearside still leaked so used some sealent on that one and Robert was your mothers brother. If only all the problem solving was that easy eh? :D

Chad. :}

sikelsh
30th July 2013, 10:12
Gluing and Silicone sounds bodgey to me, especially when a member has gone to the trouble of sourcing a pair for only £10 :shrug:

I fitted a new pair, no water since.

Simon

Grumpy1
30th July 2013, 11:00
Gluing and Silicone sounds bodgey to me, especially when a member has gone to the trouble of sourcing a pair for only £10 :shrug:

Simon
Perhaps they weren't available when a lot of us had to do ours eh!?

sikelsh
30th July 2013, 11:09
Perhaps they weren't available when a lot of us had to do ours eh!?

You'll get eh! You Grumpy1 ;)

Anyway, now they are so to advocate a bodge doesn't seem right to me :shrug:

stevestrat
30th July 2013, 11:11
Perhaps they weren't available when a lot of us had to do ours eh!?:wot:

The remanufactured seals have only been available for a few months, before the new seals option the glue/sealant was the best solution.

Parker
30th July 2013, 12:13
I think the glue sealant or vaseline repair has certainly helped us all in the past prior to the availability of new seals, but now the faff can be dispensed with and the rain kept at bay ;)

pab
30th July 2013, 12:42
I think the glue sealant or vaseline repair has certainly helped us all in the past prior to the availability of new seals, but now the faff can be dispensed with and the rain kept at bay ;)
The seals have always been available, checkout the Rimmers site. What makes you so sure the faff has been dispensed with, as you put it. New seals won't be a permanent repair, nothing is forever.

The simple repair if done correctly will also keep the rain at bay and save a few quid too.

shrimper 1
30th July 2013, 15:37
Get yourself a set of these from Jeremy, they'll sort the problem out in no time :cool:

:smilie_re: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=142690

Get yourself a set, got mine a few weeks ago fitted in 15 mins and no leeks since and all for less than £15 what a bargain.
Regards John.:}:}:}:}:}

Ros3
30th July 2013, 16:12

Simon

Nah mate, there's no bodge. Take's about 10 minutes, works a treat and you'd never know it had been done, and save's a tenner (car's are dear enough) easy. :)