PDA

View Full Version : That's the death knell for the old dog

big frankie
31st July 2013, 16:27
I've a knocking noise coming from the diesel engine. I thought it might be the crankshaft pulley.

I took it to a garage. And the noise was diagnosed as a rattling dual mass flywheel.

The guy recommended that I just run it. As it is very expensive to replace. It could run for ages like that.

The upshot is that I will do just that. The MOT runs out in November.

If anyone want's it. Make me an offer!!!

I will buy another one though.

chipsceola
31st July 2013, 16:43
Why not contact Cossie Dunc (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=13107) in trader section first, not only are you likely to get a better diagnosis and repair, but if worse comes to worse, he may make an offer for the car. Click the blue link above for contact details.

RPWC
31st July 2013, 18:18
Hold on a sec,since when did dmf s rattle? That's a new one on me:shrug:, they have certain tolerances ,I think if the free play exceeds 25mm either direction,it's a sign they need replaced. ( correct me if Im wrong someone). I would get a second opinion,, as Chips says, contact Cossie Dunc, at least then your getting the opinion of someone who knows the cars. A DMF will cost you aout £300 +vat and fitting.. So make sure you have the correct diagnosis before getting rid.

SideValve
31st July 2013, 21:06
The crankshaft pulley & flywheel are at different ends of the engine - should be able to spot which is the real problem.

rovexCDTi
31st July 2013, 21:09
They can rattle if the springs break or just get so loose they no longer fill the space. Very common on Peugeots I believe.

benjfrst
31st July 2013, 21:28
They can rattle if the springs break or just get so loose they no longer fill the space. Very common on Peugeots I believe.

And on the mk5 golf r32. Dont ask me how i know i still wince at the bill.

TriumphStag
31st July 2013, 22:16
a new DMF, clutch and slave cylinder will set you back £700-£800. Depends if the rest of the car is good and therefore worth saving......

if it is worth saving, you have to consider what that money would buy you in terms of a replacement car and what problems you would inherit with it.