PDA

View Full Version : How would you open the door?

pnstuch
5th August 2013, 18:56
Hi, i have just fitted new locks to our Tourer due to them not operating with the fob...now fitted, hey presto...they work...
Now then, we currently have the grandkids staying with us and my wife puts the child lock on the rear doors...
so it got me thinking...is there a way to open the doors without damaging the door cards if the locks should fail again?
with the child locks on....cannot open from inside...if the door lock fails with the central locking...cannot open from outside...
so...is there an answer?...hopefully without damage...:shrug:

perhaps this is a daft question and the answer is simple.....hope so...:}

VMax1000
5th August 2013, 19:20
A lock is called a lock for a reason. If it fails to open it will stay locked.
There is no easy way to open the door when it's locked apart from the inside.

So take the child locks off and keep the grand children secure in the seat using the belts (not sure how old they are but..........)

Also lock the car from the inside when driving at least the kids will have to pull the handle twice before the door opens :)

Avulon
5th August 2013, 20:15
Not that I've ever tried it, but I suspect that it would be possible to finesse a stiff enough wire into position to flick off the child lock if necessary(from the outside), provided that it's not overly stiff. But you'd only be sure by giving it a go.

stocktake
5th August 2013, 22:28
Its not easy but you can remove the rear door cards without opening the door, thia would give you access to the lock mechanism and hopefully you could open the door ;)

pnstuch
6th August 2013, 05:46
Just as i thought, i have asked the wife to leave the child locks off..the grandkids are at that age where they touch things all the time..
ive told her to strap them in securely, because ther,s 3 of them, there,s going to be 2 of them next to the doors...the locks come on automatically as soon as she drives off, so at least we know they are locked.
but you know what kids are...you need eyes in the back of your head...
so i,ll fit our head restraint dvd screens and give them something to watch to keep them occupied, even if it,s just a short trip to the shops..:}:}:}

When i was a youngster the Austin 7 my father had only had 2 doors, no way of getting out once in the back....:D:D:D
mind you...falling out at 10mph (with the wind behind us) probably wouldnt have hurt anyway...:D:D:D