PDA

View Full Version : oil in air intake

alan williams
5th August 2013, 19:42
Hi I recently took the air filter off my mgzt190 and noticed that a small amount of oil was sitting in the the carb intake the car has done 50k,I am wondering if this is normal or should I be looking at some form of preventative maintainence,the car is running like a dream at the moment,Cheers agw

SD1too
5th August 2013, 19:55
Alan,

It shouldn't happen but it does. Oil is sucked through the crankcase breather hoses even though there are gauze filters to prevent it. Some members have fitted an oil catch tank, but a solution to tackle the problem at source is being worked upon.

Simon

alan williams
6th August 2013, 17:26
Thanks for your reply I will keep an eye on the threads because I am in love with the motor Cheers agw

Bolin
7th August 2013, 09:03
....a solution to tackle the problem at source is being worked upon.

Ooo, could you tell us more please? :drool4: Is it some sort of improvment to the cranckcase breathing system?

sikelsh
7th August 2013, 09:09
I have recently fitted a catch tank to my car, on the large breather pipe, see photos (tie wraps are there as the flimsy pipe wanted to kink)

http://i.imgur.com/rqgfS6al.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eAonYCNl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vS3PZnDl.jpg

Not sure whether its related, but now the oil is not circulating in the throttle body, I have a slightly sticky throttle!

So I do wonder whether it is supposed to oil up in there :shrug: or if its just a coincidence.

Simon

Simon.h
7th August 2013, 09:12
I've had 4 V6 ZTs and all had oil in the air intake duct, its the norm on our cars.

KWIL
7th August 2013, 09:23
It might be "normal" but is it there by necessity or default?

sikelsh
7th August 2013, 09:25
It might be "normal" but is it there by necessity or default?

Hence why I posted, throttle didnt stick before I fitted the tank

KWIL
7th August 2013, 12:02
All engines have some blow by on the pistons/rings, varies with design, use and age of course. In the old days the crankcase was vented to atmosphere only, now we suck it out and dump it through the engine. ie positive crankcase ventilation.
Naturally it also draws out some of the oil mist, in some cars lots, in others less. It only becomes a nuisance when it is lots:}

Stag>75
24th August 2013, 23:18
Hi I recently took the air filter off my mgzt190 and noticed that a small amount of oil was sitting in the the carb intake the car has done 50k,I am wondering if this is normal or should I be looking at some form of preventative maintainence,the car is running like a dream at the moment,Cheers agw

The oil gets into the VIS motors, from what I have read on other posts the idea is to do preventative maintenance cleaning out the VIS motors. You can search for threads on this.

MangoMan
24th August 2013, 23:50
This was a design feature built into the induction system to aid lubrication of the vis flaps / valves. This is why it is even more important to change the engine oil at the correct intervals so as to supply relatively clean oil vapour for this purpose.

SD1too
24th August 2013, 23:54
Bill; shouldn't you have placed a :D after that last post?

Simon

MangoMan
25th August 2013, 09:39
Bill; shouldn't you have placed a :D after that last post?

Simon

Hi Simon. No, I'm quite serious! I read it in an article about the planning and development of the Engine and ancillary parts about 2 years ago - I'll try and find it.
That is what stopped me putting on an Oil Catcher....

SD1too
25th August 2013, 10:54
I'm quite serious! I read it in an article about the planning and development of the Engine and ancillary parts about 2 years ago - I'll try and find it.
Yes please Bill; I would be very interested to read that, particularly as it's hard to ignore the evidence that oil ingress into the VIS actuators causes their failure.

Simon

Stag>75
25th August 2013, 11:01
Yes please Bill; I would be very interested to read that, particularly as it's hard to ignore the evidence that oil ingress into the VIS actuators causes their failure.

Simon
I imagine oil on the manifold flaps makes sense. As for the motors it would be interesting to find out how far people have driven with the sealed modifications. Some serious work has gone into those mods.

Bolin
25th August 2013, 18:46
Bill, if you can find that article I would be extremely grateful too!

Yes, perhaps oil on the power/balance butterfly flaps could make sense, but pumping it near electrical components that are not sealed up (VIS motors) just seems plain stupid! As my deceased balance motor will testify......

MangoMan
25th August 2013, 19:41
I shall endeavour to find it - it was online, and as I say it was a long time ago just after I bought my car which was actually in October 2010! How time flies!!!

At the time I was just reading up on anything I could find - you know how it is..... But it was going on about all the first-time developments of the plastic manifolds and how innovative it was with the 'built-in' lubrication system it has with oil vapour from the breathers.

Dashiel
25th August 2013, 20:36
The oil gets cooked to a black gum by the engine over time. I wouldnt call it lubrication. More like typical modern engines. The air recirculation gets bunged up with old oil and fails. Happens on my x20xev from vauxhall too. vauxhall fitted a catch tank as a fix. But this gets bunged up too...
never heard of these inherent problems being called lubrication before. Full marks for spin though...

MangoMan
26th August 2013, 09:51
Call it what you like..... But I think what everyone is forgetting here is that cars of that era, and even more so now, were built to last without any major problems for about 8-10 years, which to a large degree these cars have done exceedingly well!
I believe this system does work very well within that time-frame, especially if kept serviced to a high standard, not leaving the oil, and most probably the cheapest one could find, in there for tens of thousands of miles!

Nothing lasts forever, and if you believe it should you're living in Coo-Coo Land! Even the mighty Concorde and the Space Shuttle, the pinnacle of modern engineering failed in the end. It's just the way it is.....

ps. And if you don't like it, buy a new car every 2 years.... :D (And even then there's no guarantee!).

Dashiel
26th August 2013, 17:46
The air recycling is there to meet emmisions i thought...
Trouble is it always carriers a bit of oil and water with it. This hits a surface, leaves a residue and eventually it glues up things.
There is no design in it. Just a byproduct of meeting emissions targets. I have a catch tank fitted...

Les4048
26th August 2013, 18:08
Instead of using tie wraps put a small compression spring up inside the tube, much tidier