PDA

View Full Version : Substitute detailing spray

dawkinsrover
7th February 2008, 16:36
I have just bought a Megs quick detailing kit. I'm sure I have read somewhere that you can keep the detailing spray for use after washing and make a good substitute to use with the clay from car shampoo and water. Does anyone know the ratio of shampoo to water please?

deano78
8th February 2008, 20:49
nice and strong. 70%water 30 shampoo. spray your clay bar as well as the panel to keep lubrication as high as poss.

trebor
9th February 2008, 06:59
and warm your clay up in a tub of warm water before starting

baxlin
10th February 2008, 21:20
nice and strong. 70%water 30 shampoo. spray your clay bar as well as the panel to keep lubrication as high as poss.

Deano, tried this today on the JZR headlight pods, worked well, except either I used too much, or I'd made it TOO strong, as it left quite a lot if "slime" in the paintwork that I had to get off.

Is there a different technique to when using the Quik detailer?

Thanks

malcolm

trebor
11th February 2008, 11:09
Deano, tried this today on the JZR headlight pods, worked well, except either I used too much, or I'd made it TOO strong, as it left quite a lot if "slime" in the paintwork that I had to get off.

Is there a different technique to when using the Quik detailer?

Thanks

malcolm

Technique should be the same. The quick detailer contains a lubricant which stops the clay bar damaging your paint whilst still being able to remove the other contaminants. If you are using shampoo should be a very rich suds mixture, but take extra care to keep the area you are working on well lubricated. Clay bar needs to be soft enough to work with as leaving it hard can also damage your paint so ensure warmed up first by immersing in warm water for a few minutes.

Work on an area around 2' square and keep well lubricated

empsburna
11th February 2008, 12:59
It will leave a lot of residue.

I like to clay when the car has just been washed and is still wet, and give it a wash and dry again afterwards.

As trebor said, plenty of lube and make sure the clay is warm, otherwise with some heavy clay like the sonus stuff you can cause some marring in the paintwork.

best thing to do is to break the clay up into two peices, one for in the warm water and one to use, and swap over when it starts to get cool, folding over to a clean part every panel.

empsburna
11th February 2008, 13:01
also, you can split the QD spray and dilute it with water to use as a lube - I have some Megs Last Touch mixed 5 parts water, 1 part last touch to use as a clay lube.