PDA

View Full Version : Nasty noise-lots of info-now with video !!

bdm09
6th August 2013, 19:28
Hi - looking for some remote diagnostic help with a rather unpleasant noise that appeared a few days back.

Facts are:
04 cdti with 97k on clock. fsh. synergy 2a. I have done put 50k A road miles on it in 3 years without any serious problems. Clutch, slave and master cylinders replaced at 40k ish. Clutch fluid changed and bled (many times :mood: ) 12 months ago - level in master is ok. No clutch slip, biting point is fine / hasnt changed recently.

Symptoms are:
metalicish noise from rhs engine. very apparent through clutch peddle, feels a bit grindy. Appears as revs drop - once at about 1100, and again on idle. Intermittent: Switch engine off and it disappears. No real change in noise when operating clutch.

Drove 40 miles to work this morning fine. Got in car to come home, reversed 10 yards, into 1st and noise appeared. So recorded it, did clutch tests and tried to figure out where it comes from. Switch engine off. Not there on startup. off/on 5 more times and it didn't reappear.

Drove 40 miles home, appeared v briefly 10 miles in then nothing. Did high revs, full torque in low gear etc trying to get it to re-appear. Nothing.

Video is here (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/wilberforce_2005/media/MOV_0616.mp4.html)

noise appears at 22, 32, 48, 2:09 on video.

Any ideas ? DMF :eek: ? Am i going to need to sell a kidney for this one... ?

okenora
6th August 2013, 19:54
Worth a look at the crank pulley ? rattling at low revs and gone at higher is typical of it failing.

rizla
6th August 2013, 20:26
sounds like pulley or dmf to me:(

FrenchMike
6th August 2013, 21:24
I would say crankshaft pulley too...don't wait...:shrug:

bdm09
8th August 2013, 09:32
update: took car to local garage who I trust. Despite the noise not appearing at all during 25 start stops on the forecourt, had a decent chat with mech.
He reckons that unless its something simple like heatshield on exhaust, its prob dmf due to the intermittent nature.

I'm inclined to believe him, but something he said brought advice from this forum into my mind. He told me he did a clutch on a pug at 120k and advised dmf replacement ....based purerly on age/mileage ! Ie he was in there anyway and it wasn't going to last another 120k. Not sure what I think about that...

anyway, he said it won't get better, if it doesn't do it too often and I can live with it don't bother yet and either save some pennies or sell before it gets too bad. Sounds like honest advice and as I say, I do trust him.

oldcarguy
8th August 2013, 15:24
It shouldn't be to difficult to work out which it is as they are at opposite ends of the engine.

Arctic
3rd August 2014, 11:45
update: took car to local garage who I trust. Despite the noise not appearing at all during 25 start stops on the forecourt, had a decent chat with mech.
He reckons that unless its something simple like heatshield on exhaust, its prob dmf due to the intermittent nature.

I'm inclined to believe him, but something he said brought advice from this forum into my mind. He told me he did a clutch on a pug at 120k and advised dmf replacement ....based purerly on age/mileage ! Ie he was in there anyway and it wasn't going to last another 120k. Not sure what I think about that...

anyway, he said it won't get better, if it doesn't do it too often and I can live with it don't bother yet and either save some pennies or sell before it gets too bad. Sounds like honest advice and as I say, I do trust him.

Simon.
Did this get solved or is the car still the same did you change the DMF or the crank pulley ? or none at all Arctic