PDA

View Full Version : ABS Fault STILL!

Martin193252
7th August 2013, 08:14
Hi All

I'm getting seriously at the end of my tether with this car, the ABS is still playing up!

Long story short, I bought the car it had a dead IPK I bought a new one and on dismantling the old one I found the dealer had slashed the wire and put tissue paper over the warning lights so I bought a second hand modulator with no traction control as my car doesn't have it, it threw up a lot of problems and made my speedo cut out and the fuel gauge was erratic and the ABS and brake warning light was on

So the garage couldn't communicate with it but they managed to get into it and it threw up an error code for o/s/r wheel sensor so now that's been replaced the car seemed all okay but now every so often all the warning lights still come up and my ABS stops working the error code throws up a problem with the modulator! What can be causing this? The modulator can't be faulty as it was working on the previous car and the garage can only communicate with it if they take the car out, brake heavily to activate the ABS then they can communicate with it!

Does it need a T4 to be properly coded to my car or shall I try another modulator?

Thanks

Martin

mh007
7th August 2013, 08:39
ABS light on/Speedo not working & erratic Fuel Gauge points to O/S Front ABS (or wheel speed) sensor.
I had one in last week & it actually turned out to be the pickup on the wheel bearing that was at fault.
It's not the first time i've heard of the O/S rear ABS sensor showing up as a fault when the speedo stops working but it is the O/S front that is the culprit.
If you have Cruise Control & that stops with the ABS light on, it's the N/S front as the usual suspect.
Do you have any DTC's (fault codes) at all ?

Martin193252
7th August 2013, 10:43
Ahhh I see well I do have cruise control and that stopped working aswell! The only fault code that showed up was the o/s/r with regards to the wheel bearings so you think it might need 2 new front ABS sensors? And the contacts on the bearings cleaned up?

This is just being an endless problem now! I don't have any fault codes on me if you search threads started by me I did list all of the fault codes in a post give me a sec and ill post a link

Many thanks

Martin

Martin193252
7th August 2013, 10:45
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=154104

Mike Noc
7th August 2013, 11:51
Did the replacement modulator have the same part number as the one you took off?

If you get an old ABS sensor plug and socket from the scrappy and connect a long cable between them you can plug any sensor into the OSF and see if the spedo works when you spin the wheel. If none of the sensors show a speed reading then likely a fault with the modulator.

Best to prove the sensors and reluctors before
changing them - saves money and the risk of adding to the fault list.

Martin193252
7th August 2013, 18:38
I didn't think part numbers mattered i thought there was only a modulator for traction and one without,

I'm just going to have both wheel sensors done I'm sick of fettling with this car its been in the garage over a week with all other bits being done its already going to cost me best part of a grand so might aswell just add to the pain and save time

If its the modulator its going straight back to the seller i bought it from on ebay this is the one i bought it should be compatible with an 04 ZT CDTi

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160993269468?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Many Thanks

Martin

Lovel
7th August 2013, 20:46
Does it need a T4 to be properly coded to my car or shall I try another modulator?
Martin

The ABS ECU does not store any ZCS codes so cannot be coded with T4, and should be plug and play, well assuming you have a healthy ECU to begin with and correct version too :getmecoat: