PDA

View Full Version : Blocked crankcase breather,PCV,How use car temporary

gowenlewis
7th August 2013, 12:13
Rover 75 CDT. I have all the symptoms of blocked PCV....Oil out of dipstick.....undo oil filler cap get a wosh. I cannot fix till friday but need car for running about. Should I use it with oil filler cap or dipstick loosened to reduce pressure?

suffolk boy
7th August 2013, 13:32
running with the dipstick or the filler cap loose will be asking for a leak.all you need to do is remove the filter itself.and run it without until you get a new one.or not use the car

thundercat
8th August 2013, 05:28
You take the filter out you may as well clean it with a de greasing agent then washing up liquid and plenty of hot water, get it as dry as you can then replace. I did mine that way and it did not take long. mine was so bad the filter was solid. :}

Mike Noc
8th August 2013, 07:56
Rover 75 CDT. I have all the symptoms of blocked PCV....Oil out of dipstick.....undo oil filler cap get a wosh. I cannot fix till friday but need car for running about. Should I use it with oil filler cap or dipstick loosened to reduce pressure?

One important check to carry out: Is the oil at a normal level with the engine off?

If not then it could be due to a leaking HP pump seal causing diesel to get into the sump.

It takes less than 30 minutes to get the PCV filter out and rinse it in petrol so no need to risk driving the car with a blocked filter.

Diesel engines can run away on either engine oil, diesel or a mixture of the two getting into the inlet manifold.