PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter alignment to flywheel

RobRoy
7th August 2013, 18:55
Hi all, I'm rebuilding my engine after a piston explosion and forgot to mark the torque converter position in relation to the flywheel on my 1.8 turbo, does anyone know how to set it correctly? Any advice is much appreciated.

kaiser
7th August 2013, 19:11
Anyway that fits!
The marking of the torque converter is usually important for balancing.

If that mark is lost, then just fit it. Not much else you can do.

(But I'm not sure if I understand the question fully.)

RobRoy
7th August 2013, 19:20
Hi Kaiser, thanks for your reply. There's a reluctor ring on the torque converter that the crankshaft positoning sensor reacts to. It has to be in the right position in relation to the flywheel or else the engine wont start

kaiser
7th August 2013, 19:41
Ah, I see.
But, how many ways can it fit, then.?

I have had mine off, for the exact same reason, but I marked it out of habit, more than anything else, so I never paid any special attention. I must admit I didn't think of anything but balance when I did it.

(I will have to think this over, but I would as a quick try say that if it goes on 180 degrees shifted would not matter, 90 would.)

RobRoy
7th August 2013, 19:45
Its a lot of work putting the engine back in only to find the bl**dy thing wont start! Any ideas?

kaiser
7th August 2013, 20:00
It is, I agree. But to ask again, how many ways can it go in?

And if there are multiple ways, is there no mark anywhere?

In the meanwhile I will see if there is anything in my Haynes.

kaiser
7th August 2013, 20:12
Ok Haynes states that if the same torque converter is to re-fitted, then the marks made must align.!

It does not mention anything about what to do if another converter is to be fitted. So this is really great!

Again, how many ways can it be fitted, and are there no traces of paint or anything that could indicate a position.

Alternatively you would have to get hold of a similar car and find out when the magnet sits under the sensor relative to the position of the front pulley.

RobRoy
7th August 2013, 20:25
There are only four bolts so there are only four ways of fitting it, unfortunately there is only one way of testing each position and that is to fit the ingine and fire it up. Even getting hold of another car means I'd have to strip that down to see the flywheel/torque converter alignment

kaiser
7th August 2013, 20:30
No, I think you would be able to see the magnet through the hole for the sensor, but that is only part of it. The problem becomes one of getting the torque converter turned.
A screwdriver on the starter ring, perhaps.

But there must be someone who does this for a living and has a very simple answer.;)

RobRoy
7th August 2013, 20:33
That's what I was hoping :)

kaiser
7th August 2013, 20:54
Crossing fingers!:D

stocktake
7th August 2013, 21:23
I know there is an inspection plate that you can remove to access the 4 torque converter bolts that bolt it to the flywheel with the engine and box in place, We used this to remove my engine but leave the box and converter in place, If it is wrong you could access the bolts and rotate the flywheel :)

RobRoy
7th August 2013, 22:03
I've found this piece of information from God knows where:-

The reluctor ring has 58 teeth spaced at 6° intervals. A gap equivalent to two missing teeth, 36°after top dead centre (ATDC) of cylinder 1, provides the ECM with a reference point.

Would I be correct if I assumed the reluctor tooth gap must line up with the crankshaft position sensor when the number 1 cylinder is at TDC? Can anyone confirm this?

US Spec
8th August 2013, 16:07
I just refit a box on one of my 75's and didnt remember to line it up but it started right up. no mis-fire or rough idle.
I did notice when fitting the 4 torque converter bolts through the inspection location mentioned already, I had put two in and the other two would not line up so I removed the first two and turned it (with the crank pulley 22mm bolt) another 90' and they all 4 lined up perfectly.
I just went and checked another flywheel I have....The 4 bolt holes are NOT evenly spaced so I doubt you could get this very wrong when re-fitting.

Ed

US Spec
8th August 2013, 16:10
just a thought...
every time I have re-fitted a box on these I have done it this way.
pushed on the torque converter and lines up the 4 holes after it was all together by turning the crank (clockwise)

put in each of the 4, 14mm bolts just barely seated and once they all line up then tighten each one accordingly

kaiser
8th August 2013, 16:26
I just refit a box on one of my 75's and didnt remember to line it up but it started right up. no mis-fire or rough idle.
I did notice when fitting the 4 torque converter bolts through the inspection location mentioned already, I had put two in and the other two would not line up so I removed the first two and turned it (with the crank pulley 22mm bolt) another 90' and they all 4 lined up perfectly.
I just went and checked another flywheel I have....The 4 bolt holes are NOT evenly spaced so I doubt you could get this very wrong when re-fitting.

Ed

What worries me here is that this would actually make sense.!

That is why I think it must be wrong;)

No, seriously, that is why I asked how many ways it can fit. Maybe it actually only goes on one way, in which case problem solved, but then Haynes might be missing a point.

Well, wouldn't be the first time, would it.!?

stocktake
8th August 2013, 16:53

Ed

Seems to me the answer is right here :)

Greeners
8th August 2013, 16:59
from RAVE, there's nothing about any special way of refitting it, so would suspect it'll only fit on one way