PDA

View Full Version : temp gauge

gary t
7th August 2013, 22:46
driving down m5 today at a nice lick when i saw the temp gauge sat at not 9 0clock but 6 0clock ??? o dear!!! says i pulling on to hard shoulder. popped the bonnet nothing seems amiss engine seems no hotter than normal 18t so engine bay always a bit on the warmside. any way temp sender plug plugged in and there's lots of coolant in expansion tank. so jump in and start it still nothing on temp gauge. turn it off. i know try the obd temp dash read out start car again and temp gauge go.s to 9 oclock mmm obd reading 88ish so drive home obd gives a few old readings ie 70 then 90 then 82c. loose wire plug ? at home engine cooled down checked water level norm. so unpluged temp sender and cleaned contacts and seems ok after a longish test drive obd readins back to norm. only thing i could see is that there was some oil mist or stain on the sender and the plug. it.s got a weep from the cam cover on that side another job on the never shortening list lol. ne.way does any1 know if the senders play up or as i suspect just fail. ??

T-Cut
8th August 2013, 11:47
If the gauge drops to 'cold' due to loss of the sensor signal, the emergency cooling fan will trip on. If the reading is varying but correct, the fan won't come on. In this case it may be due to a circulating air bubble. Maybe worth trying a cooling system bleed.

TC