PDA

View Full Version : New car battery - do I need to install it straight away?

Leander
8th August 2013, 07:03
Just bought a new Bosch S5 battery with 5 year gaurantee, as I feared my current one was going.

Turned out the electrical problems were due to water from a blogged sunroof drain. Now sorted (hopefully)

So... do I need to install the new battery straight away, or can I leave it for month or two...?

GED75
8th August 2013, 07:34
You can leave the battery for a couple of months without a problem just don't let it discharge

Leander
8th August 2013, 11:32
Thanks for that:}

marke46320d
8th August 2013, 11:33
Keep it off the cold floor as it will discharge or damage it. Keep it on a shelf if possible.

Leander
8th August 2013, 16:22
Worth knowing - will keep it off the floor - thanks!

MrDoodles
8th August 2013, 16:37
To be fair, as you've bought it and the warranty is already ticking down on it, why not fit it to the car? :shrug:

Leander
8th August 2013, 16:44
Fair question. :}

Because I've recently had various electrical gremlins which I'm in the process of resolving (only one to go).

I'm now pretty sure they were all caused by my sunroof drainage pipe leaking, and which I've just repaired.

If I can get all the problems sorted with the old battery in place that proves my hypothesis.

If I can't resolve the last one then I will indeed stick in the new battery to see what happens.

MrDoodles
8th August 2013, 16:47
Fair question. :}

Because I've recently had various electrical gremlins which I'm in the process of resolving (only one to go).

I'm now pretty sure they were all caused by my sunroof drainage pipe leaking, and which I've just repaired.

If I can get all the problems sorted with the old battery in place that proves my hypothesis.

If I can't resolve the last one then I will indeed stick in the new battery to see what happens.

Well I only asked, because modern batteries can suddenly just fail without warning and it just seemed daft to take that risk, when you have a brand new quality battery sat in your garage! :confused:

Have to admit if were me, I'd be getting it in the battery box and enjoying the extra piece of mind of having a brand new battery on it! ;)

Leander
8th August 2013, 20:40
I really wasn't aware that modern batteries could fail without warning, so thanks for the heads up on that. I'm sure I'll get the new one in a week or two.

GED75
8th August 2013, 20:56
I really wasn't aware that modern batteries could fail without warning, so thanks for the heads up on that. I'm sure I'll get the new one in a week or two.the only way i know of a battery to fail is ,a separator comes of a possitive plate and then shorts with a negative plate,a positive or negative plate comes away from its top connecting bar leading to a short or loss in voltage,once a battery starts to go flat then the plates start to oxidise the plates will swell [sulphation] with build up of lead sulphate,cant think of any other reasons

ps i used to make batteries for the chloride;)