PDA

View Full Version : maf removal

humptynumpty
8th August 2013, 19:30
how can screws for maf be removed looks like they need a 5 sided bit

ukmastiff
8th August 2013, 19:39
They can be an issue. The cheap security bits as found on e bay rarely fit correctly and can 'round off' the fastening or just snap.

I remove mine and replace then with a type of self tapping posie head screw that does a far better job and can be removed easily as often as you like.

If yours round off and you get stuck you can cut a slot with a hacksaw and use a hefty screwdriver to remove them.

Mas

Brabus
8th August 2013, 19:40
Yep they are you can buy the took in a autofactors, not to dear. They are a wierd we screw.

marinabrian
8th August 2013, 19:46
Why do you want to remove the insert then?, if it were to fit a Mercedes van MAF then the vendor supplies you with a suitable security bit :getmecoat:
On the other hand a real MAF comes only complete in the housing ;)
Brian :D

humptynumpty
8th August 2013, 19:55
maf insert? im replacing with another bosch

marinabrian
8th August 2013, 19:59
maf insert? im replacing with another bosch

So not the right MAF then ;)
If you go to the trouble of replacing the MAF, I can't for the life of me understand using the wrong part.
It has a detrimental effect on economy and performance, no need to compromise on either with the price of the real thing.

humptynumpty
8th August 2013, 20:01
im confused, ive disconnected top plug and there is to screws either side i thought that small part was the maf and rest was just housing

ukmastiff
8th August 2013, 20:07
You can fit the bosch insert and not the whole housing ive done it sith a genuine bosch part
I think brian is saying if you have bought just the insert that it cant be bosch.

What have you bought and from where ?

humptynumpty
8th August 2013, 20:08
it was bought from a member on here because he says its fully working and his car was rear ended

marinabrian
8th August 2013, 20:10
You can fit the bosch insert and not the whole housing ive done it sith a genuine bosch part
I think brian is saying if you have bought just the insert that it cant be bosch.

That's the jist, however as you say a correct Bosch MAF can be exchanged as you describe.

marinabrian
8th August 2013, 20:11
it was bought from a member on here because he says its fully working and his car was rear ended

So why did he send just the sensor and not the whole assembly?
http://tuning-diesels.com/75Zt/2maf.jpg
What numbers does it have written on it?

GED75
8th August 2013, 20:14

.Ive bought just the insert,and it was genuine,replaced a couple of weeks ago

ukmastiff
8th August 2013, 20:14
Indeed nothing wrong with a good second hand bosch insert !

I'd have had it as a spare :)
Now you just have to get those screws out lol

humptynumpty
8th August 2013, 20:15
it will arive tomorrow, i wanted to remove mine ready for new 1

GED75
8th August 2013, 20:19
i bought this,insert only,if its not genuine can u tell me why, cos ill be contacting the vendor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-BOSCH-GENUINE-SENSOR-INSERT-F00C2G2029-MASS-AIR-FLOW-METER-F00C-2G2-029-/150934312232?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232462d528

marinabrian
8th August 2013, 20:33
Ive bought just the insert,and it was genuine,replaced a couple of weeks ago

It may well be genuine Bosch, however it's not the correct part for your car.
The correct Bosch MAF for our cars is ONLY supplied complete with the housing.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Land-Rover-MHK101130-75-ZT-MG-Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-Meter-BOSCH-0928400520-MAF-/00/s/NDIwWDQyMA==/z/HhIAAOxyFbpR6NCa/$(KGrHqF,!lsFHUIBHk2BBR6NC,OStg~~60_35.JPG (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-MHK101130-75-ZT-MG-Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-Meter-BOSCH-0928400520-MAF-/130950762297?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ARover%7CModel%3A75&hash=item1e7d460f39)

humptynumpty
8th August 2013, 20:43
well it turns out fella sold me the whole unit, sensor and housing so does that make job easier?

GED75
8th August 2013, 20:44
so how come both maff inserts were identical,the original one i took of my car and the one i bought,im not talking just looked the same,the numbers/markings were the same,they were identical.

marinabrian
8th August 2013, 21:00
so how come both maff inserts were identical,the original one i took of my car and the one i bought,im not talking just looked the same,the numbers/markings were the same,they were identical.

Were the numbers 0928400520 or F00C2G2029
First is the correct 75 zt part, second is a E39 M5 BMW part which over fuels by about 4% at idle and approximately 10% at 3500 RPM.
Brian ;)

GED75
8th August 2013, 21:07
the part number is in the ebay listing ,which were the same as the one on the part i took of the car,which were the same as a third maf given to me which was still in the housing ,all 3 had the same part numbers on the insert thats all the info i can give you

Thomas
8th August 2013, 21:14
Moved to technical help forum............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........

GED75
8th August 2013, 21:21
Were the numbers 0928400520 or F00C2G2029
First is the correct 75 zt part, second is a E39 M5 BMW part which over fuels by about 4% at idle and approximately 10% at 3500 RPM.
Brian ;)cheers for the info brian its much appreciated ,it looks like im stuck with the wrong maf as i cant afford to change it although my car runs fine no real signs of a fumey engine and mpg is over 50 on the motor way,wish id known sooner although ill be contacting the vendor tomorrow and giving him a broadside big time cheers bri:}

hogweed
9th August 2013, 09:56
Hiya Brain – as you might or might not remember, when my MAF failed I bought a new Bosch sensor (ie the sensor only, not the whole MAF) from someone advertising on this forum (OK, be honest Roger, you couldn’t get the screws out, and paid your local mechanic to do it), and it SEEMS to work fine.

But I understand from what you say it probably actually comes from an old M5… pity it didn’t bring the performance with it, eh. Anyway. Get to the point Roger.

Well… if it over fuels by as much as you say, and I’m currently averaging 42mpg, might I move into the lands which I’d always assumed were in the imagination of certain users on here, of (say) 48mpg if I fitted an actual genuine Bosch MAF…?

What do you reckon?

humptynumpty
9th August 2013, 18:40
well aswell fella 1 i took out had m5 numbers and 1 i got sent (from a cdt 75) had exactly the same numbers

craig8661
9th August 2013, 21:09
that bosh maf I posted the screws came out with a pair of plires when I checked to make sure it was a bosh maf sent the whole housing as assumed it would protect it more in transit via royal mail