PDA

View Full Version : New Keyfob case and battery, now car wont start..

imagos
9th August 2013, 03:16
My car: 2002 2.5L ZT+ Automatic.

Ok so I buy one of those Ebay keyfob specials, a new case and battery mainly due to the fact the old buttons had worn through.

Changed the casing and circuit thingy over no problem.. A new battery came with the package so I changed that too. Put in the the original blade into new casing and it it all back together.

The red light on the key works.. The remote central locking works too with new key Great! No 4 blip door lock reset required. No problems so far!

Key into ignition then. everything lights up as normal on position 1 and 2.. but..
Try and start the car.. Nothing!! Not even turning over. It's as if I'm trying to start in drive or park.

Surely it's too much of a coincidence that the starter or engine bay battery has failed? Must be a key problem?

I was under the impression that circuitry inside key was just for central locking which is working ok under new casing. Just swap everything over and away I go. I wish!

So in summary:

I've changed the 2 part key casing
Changed the keyfob battery which is ok as it remotely unlocks car.
I'm still using original blade from when car was new.
When I changed all this I was nowhere near car.
The engine bay battery is in good shape.

So chaps can anyone help? I'd be very grateful for any advice to get my ZT going again!

Thank you and kind regards

Stuart :)

mikesmith2
9th August 2013, 04:15
There is also a small chip that disarms the immobiliser.

Did you swap that over as well?

If not then the car won't start.

marinabrian
9th August 2013, 05:32
Retrieve the transponder which is housed in the plastic key back and swap into your new key casing.
The remote locking and immobiliser are two entirely separate systems
Brian :D

KWIL
9th August 2013, 09:25
Hope you did not bin the "rubbish":mad:

carguy143
9th August 2013, 13:32
It's easy to miss the chip. I just hope the OP didn't bin the old case.

Surely if the chip was missing it would display some kind of warning on the dash or try to turn over and simply not start. Or does the immobiliser inhibit the starter, too?

WillyHeckaslike
9th August 2013, 14:10
Without a valid signal from the transponder the starter motor will be disabled and fuelling will not initiate.

okenora
9th August 2013, 14:14
on mine it inhibits the starter but having the intelligence pack it says "Engine disabled" on the display.....on non intelligence cars i am sure it probably does something like leave the immobiliser light on.

Avulon
9th August 2013, 15:58
When I changed mine (for the same reason) I just kept the back of the old keyfob and put it on the new one, no messing about with the transponder, pulling the keyblade out of the old one was stress enough!

Greeners
10th August 2013, 02:08
Here it is....

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/109448a5ecbdaa1a1.jpg

imagos
10th August 2013, 02:13
RESOLVED!

Thanks gents. I completely missed the chip and to be honest I didn't even know it was there. Thankfully I didn't bin it.

I prised it out very gently with a micro flat blade screwdriver and installed it into the new keyfob.

My car now starts!

I though I knew my car but this was a new one on me after 6 years of ownership. I've learnt a big lesson here.

Thanks for all your advice. I'm a happy bunny:D

carguy143
10th August 2013, 12:54
RESOLVED!

Thanks gents. I completely missed the chip and to be honest I didn't even know it was there. Thankfully I didn't bin it.

I prised it out very gently with a micro flat blade screwdriver and installed it into the new keyfob.

My car now starts!

I though I knew my car but this was a new one on me after 6 years of ownership. I've learnt a big lesson here.

Thanks for all your advice. I'm a happy bunny:D

I'm glad it's sorted and I bet you're glad you didn't bin the key! :}

Rik.

rathlindri
10th August 2013, 15:30
What a great resource this club is, best value £10 you could spent anywhere :bowdown:

Georgies Dad
10th August 2013, 15:33
What a great resource this club is, best value £10 you could spent anywhere :bowdown:

I agree great value for money.

Unfortunately lots of people only "join" when they have a problem,once that is solved they disapear.

Just hope the OP stays and turn red.

mikesmith2
10th August 2013, 23:07
I've stayed to help others even though I sold my 75 Touring.

ProfDave
11th August 2013, 10:11
There is also a small chip that disarms the immobiliser.

Did you swap that over as well?

If not then the car won't start.

that sounds like it