PDA

View Full Version : EGR Bypass Valve - Engine Warning Light

gadgetgricey
9th August 2013, 17:28
Was going to fit my bypass valve to my Cdti the weekend, but been advised the car will then throw a warning light that will need to be cleared.

Is this correct?

Regards

- Dave -

Tian905
9th August 2013, 19:35
No would be the answer, or not in my experience or many others

75driver
9th August 2013, 20:08
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=129151

It's happened to others before.
Facelift models affected mostly from what I remember reading.

drewesq
9th August 2013, 20:10
Was going to fit my bypass valve to my Cdti the weekend, but been advised the car will then throw a warning light that will need to be cleared.

Is this correct?

Regards

- Dave -

Nope! You have been ill advised!
EDIT! Mine is a mk1 btw

ScouseAllan
9th August 2013, 21:09
Hello there
Being the owner of a facelift with a egr by pass , I regularly get the EML come on. However, it doesn't effect the ride /performance/mpg as far as I'm concerned. And before you know it has turned back off again .
Or you can use a scanner an although it might sometimes not recognize a fault ( p0401 insufficient flow I think is the usual fault ) wipe the codes anyhow an it will also remove the light for the next 100 or so miles ....

That's my experience of it anyway.

Allan

gadgetgricey
9th August 2013, 21:17
Well mines a facelift, and dont want the Engine Warning light coming on, so brand new stainless steel EGR bypass valve will be on sale shortly..

Thanks all.

- Dave -

Mark2000cc
9th August 2013, 21:29
Mines a facelift and no problems whatsoever...

g20stu
9th August 2013, 21:41
Well mines a facelift, and dont want the Engine Warning light coming on, so brand new stainless steel EGR bypass valve will be on sale shortly..

Thanks all.

- Dave -

Hi dave if you decide to sell egr bypass please send me a pm thanks

stuart

Arctic
9th August 2013, 21:51
I thnk you may find it could that Being the owner of a facelift with a egr by pass you could get the EML coming on because the ( p0401 insufficient flow to the turbocharger boost temperature sensor combined with the turbo boost presure sensor reading a fault ) due to the bypass but dont quote me on it, but the turboboost temp sensor is the only difference between the CDti and the CDT T4 men may know more, personally i stick with cleaning the EGR once a year when i do my service or better still for the price of a bypass EGR get an oringinal EGR as a spare and clean it swap it when you are ready each year ;) Arctic

ScouseAllan
9th August 2013, 22:25
I thnk you may find it could that Being the owner of a facelift with a egr by pass you could get the EML coming on because the ( p0401 insufficient flow to the turbocharger boost temperature sensor combined with the turbo boost presure sensor reading a fault ) due to the bypass but dont quote me on it, but the turboboost temp sensor is the only difference between the CDti and the CDT T4 men may know more, personally i stick with cleaning the EGR once a year when i do my service or better still for the price of a bypass EGR get an oringinal EGR as a spare and clean it swap it when you are ready each year ;) Arctic

Gave my egr a good scrub an got all the grime out when the light was on . Put it all back together an it knocked the light out..... For about 200 miles . Doesn't bother me but I like to keep checking with the scanner incase its something more serious, I wouldn't want to dismiss it as being the egr every time . As I say that's just my experience. :shrug:

Jakg
9th August 2013, 22:58
Some of the late diesels have a sensor in the pipe between EGR & intercooler and I think these are the cars that are effected - if you don't have the sensor you should be fine.

Tian905
9th August 2013, 23:07
I have a 54 MK2 75 and an 04 MK1 ZT an neither have displayed an EML light after EGR bypass.

If a new sensor was added later surely the T4 guys would know for sure?

Arctic
9th August 2013, 23:12
Some of the late diesels have a sensor in the pipe between EGR & intercooler and I think these are the cars that are effected - if you don't have the sensor you should be fine.

Hi Jack
Yes that the turbocharger boost temperature sensor ;) this needs checking also and cleaned with quick spurt of carb cleaner