PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts - why o why

MikeHurley
9th August 2013, 19:06
Well went to my local garage and was advised per motbthatvdrop links and back box were needed as I expected. Said fine get on with it and order parts and asked for confirmation that clamshell style back box was to fitted … told yes.
Went to collect and saw patent back box on vehicle with welded u clamp pointing down to road ! And the main pipe was slightly twisted and lower than exhaust tunnel … ie road hump hazard and seemed to be touching err anti roll bar.

Told the garage I didn't ask for patent part to be improvised onto vehicle, which will rattle and bang body on regular use etc., point made and accepted so proper back box to be fitted in replacement . Told them I was not taking the car out of their compound with pantent road hump catching u clamp on etc etc. I could have ordered similar £45 piece from net myself.

It seems some of the generic patent exhausts are not comparable with the main lines of sight along the exhaust tunnel, so all original exhaust tubing has to be twisted and lowered to accommodate patent part - WRONG.

Rear springs needed too, as one is snapped. Instructions for pair to be replaced and to check under sea swab for correct colour/set for kv6 2.5!!!!!
:mad:

capese21
10th August 2013, 00:20
I went through a similar experience with my ZTT. I removed the pattern back box fitted for the MOT as it was horridly noisy and paid the money for the OEM box from Rimmers.

Expensive but worth it for the quiet exhaust note.

I ordered the correct rear springs again from rimmers and just got the garage to fit them.

Good Luck

Ed:)

KWIL
10th August 2013, 15:39
I hope the garage remembered (or knew) that the rubbers at the bottom of the springs have to be put in correct orientation or else wishbone fills with water:mad:
Similarly the bolts holding the arm rubber mounts and the bottom rubber mounts of the shocks have to be tightened with the car on its wheels (or else they remain twisted if done with the body only lifted:mad:

MikeHurley
10th August 2013, 21:42
Thanks for the advice, yea I'm going to expect a few answers to my questions on Tuesday, colour code of springs (from under seat), that the correct angle of rubbers has been applied when they are being fitted and the bolt tightening with wheels on ground! Watch this space!:mood::mood:

Typhoon190
10th August 2013, 22:16
Totally agree with what's been said about the pattern exhaust parts.

I asked the same of a seller on ebay.

Clearly asked whether the exhaust they were selling was Klarius as advertised, and a pressed shell (as pictured)rather than just a can, and was told it would definately be a pressed shell, and either Klarius or another brand name.

Standard can delivered. Pretty noisy, and not a good fit. :mad:

capese21
11th August 2013, 00:18
The klarius will likely be noisy to:mad: they are just not made to the spec of the OEM eg double skinned!!

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=136271&highlight=bosal&page=2

MikeHurley
13th August 2013, 21:19
I hope the garage remembered (or knew) that the rubbers at the bottom of the springs have to be put in correct orientation or else wishbone fills with water:mad:
Similarly the bolts holding the arm rubber mounts and the bottom rubber mounts of the shocks have to be tightened with the car on its wheels (or else they remain twisted if done with the body only lifted:mad:

Confirmed correct orientation of spring base rubbers, and bolts being tightened with car on wheels.……only item needed is exhaust strap! 2 more days:bowdown:

MikeHurley
16th August 2013, 11:42
Well conclude this episode… proper clamshell back box on and with the new springs on the rear and fresh drop links a joy to drive........I can hear the engine!:D

Insistance delivered the right result:D